Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2007, 12:05 PM

2 posts, read 4,465 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
We are planning to build a 50 to 80 unit apartment housing in Jersey or sorrounding state. Just wondering if someone can point me in the right direction to start from. I mean, what type of land zoning for apartment complex. What should I b asking the construction companies? and so on.

Thank you
Sushil
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2007, 12:25 PM

25 posts, read 110,441 times
50-80 Unit Apartment Housing? Seems pretty random...

Look into Paterson, New Jersey. They need all the redevelopment they can get. There is a bunch of new lofts that are replacing historic factories... Actually quite nice. Plus you can get land/buildings there inexpensively (for North Jersey prices at least)

City of Paterson, New Jersey (http://www.patcity.com/ - broken link)

Old 10-04-2007, 12:46 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,264,404 times
If you don't know what you're building, or where you're building it, you've got a long way to go before you start talking to construction companies- any good company is busy right now, and won't give you the time of day if you haven't picked a site and started drawing.

That said, you need to do a market study to determine what areas need the units. You can then start looking for land that suits your needs with the proper zoning (most likely a high-density residential zoning). Then, once you find some potential properties, be prepared to spend some $$ hiring civil engineers and architects to prepare preliminary site analysis for you, and take it from there.

Bob

Old 10-06-2007, 01:03 AM

2 posts, read 4,465 times
Default THanks you

Hi Guys,
THank you so much for the reply. I know I got my work cut out for me. I wish there were books or forums that I can read to get the basic understanding zoning and other procedure for building an apartment. I want to be prepared before approaching and realtor for land purchase and for contractor for the work. I will keep digging, but thanks again

Sushil

Old 10-06-2007, 01:23 AM

562 posts, read 2,609,784 times
Hello.. i'm currently building a 2 family home... it's nothing like your future project of 50-80 units.. but the city hall is the best place to gather most of your answers.. take a day to just go in the construction dept of whatever city you want to build in.. ask for zoning map.. basically it tells you what type of construction you can build.. then look around for a lot.. once you find a lot.. look for an architect.. make sure you get a local architect to the city you are building as they know all the local codes.. the architect should have contacts with civil engineers.. this helps alot since they can work together in your project.. once you have lot and hire the architect, then you must get the plans and take it to different builders for quotes.. i recommend you shop around b/c all prices vary.. also ask builder for references and past jobs.. then the construction begins.. as long as you can fund this.. or else you'll have to get loans before you start all of this..

if you have any questions just send me a message..

good luck! ! !

btw: i can recommend my builder.. he is great and very supportive!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: