U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 02:32 PM

8 posts, read 24,777 times

Advertisements

Hi ;

I have temporary housing in Newport, Jersey City for now. I'll figure out how my commute works out from there. If it's too crazy I might just move closer to the Kenilworth area.

You have been most helpful . I probably won't have internet access for a while so I might go dormant for a bit. But I will be back with more questions soon.

Thanks again everyone who responded.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2007, 09:13 PM

964 posts, read 2,561,355 times
Good luck. As I am sure you know, JC vs. Westfield -- totally different type of living, regardless of demographic. Not that I would look to tell you what to do, however, I think JC is going to be a much better place for a younger, single, working person. More of a melting pot type of city as well. Again, good luck.

Old 11-10-2007, 06:23 AM

2 posts, read 7,872 times
Default Hi

Hi I'm Chris. Cranford is def. a better place for younger single people. I lived in Cranford for a few years when I was younger. I'm in a relationship but looking for some girl friend to hang out with being that all my friends are pretty much married now and have children. I'm only 29 so still like to go out for dinner or drinks and have a good time. I live 10 min. away from Westfield. Have a great day Christina

Any input and information would be greatly appreciated.[/quote]

Old 01-12-2008, 09:25 PM
MM5

2 posts, read 3,186 times
Default animal welfare volunteering

If you check petfinder.org and search Westfield's zip 07090, you'll find a few rescue groups in town and around Union County. I think there's a group called Cause4Paws. Others in Cranford and Clark, too. Good luck in Westfield. I still have family there, and except for the horrible prices of real estate, it's a more liveable town than it was a generation ago. More to do, still retains its lovely character.

(For what I now pay for my 3B/2.5 b with great yard and great neighbors, in a midwest college town with great culture and decent diversity, it would cost 3-4 times as much in W'field. We're not on the ocean, and the Italian food isn't the real deal, but hey, you have trade-offs anywhere! )

[quote=CuCullin;1696839]For a list of Westfield-based groups, theres [URL="http://westfieldnj.com/nonprof.htm"]Westfield, NJ - Westfield, New Jersey[/URL]

I know of Humane Societies that meet in Union and Plainfield (both close by - Union the better choice of the two, imho, due to the area), but I don't know much about the groups.

Old 04-12-2008, 07:37 PM

12 posts, read 34,782 times
move to jersey city or hoboken if you're single

lots of singles in both places, plus easy access to manhattan

once you get married and have kids are in yours 30s or above AND have lots of money, you can move to westfield

Old 04-12-2008, 08:58 PM

59 posts, read 72,889 times
Listen, I don't think Westfield would be a good place for you. Dont get me wrong, it is a great town but it is more family oriented and suburban, actually it can be very boring for people that are young and want more action and nightlife.

If you are single and young, I would say Hoboken, Jersey City or other town closer to the city. It is true that the towns closer to NYC tend to be dumpier and uglier but if you are single and no kids, it is alright. People that are married and have kids just do not want their kids to go to the crappy schools. I had a buddy that lived in North Bergen and although the neighborhood was dumpy, being so close to NYC was always cool.

Old 04-12-2008, 10:06 PM

786 posts, read 2,268,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliann1977 View Post
I'd look at nearby Cranford. The crowd seems younger there, a more trendy area. Westfield is beautiful, but pretty family-oriented.
Cranford? Try Jersey city of something because Cranford is also very family oriented.

Old 04-13-2008, 11:38 AM

525 posts, read 1,785,971 times
I live in Westfield and it is very family oriented ... and Cranford is the same. If you can afford it, try Hoboken or Jersey City. Jersey City, though, still has quite a few crappy parts. So be careful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or