U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 01:33 PM

8 posts, read 24,777 times

Advertisements

I am moving to NJ for work ( Kenilworth) and I'm debating between living in Jersey City (Newport) and commuting versus living in areas close to work like Roselle Park or Westfield.

The commute shouldn't be too bad as my company has a shuttle service from Newark Penn station to work and back.

I'm a single female in her mid-20's and was wondering if anyone can tell me what it's like to live in Westfield . I drove around the neighborhoods and it seemed like a beautiful town but very family oriented. Is it a fun place for a single person ? Would I have a hard time making friends in my age group ? Is the town culturally diverse ?

Any input and information would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2007, 01:36 PM

687 posts, read 2,910,473 times
Quote:
I'm a single female in her mid-20's and was wondering if anyone can tell me what it's like to live in Westfield . I drove around the neighborhoods and it seemed like a beautiful town but very family oriented. Is it a fun place for a single person ? Would I have a hard time making friends in my age group ? Is the town culturally diverse ?
I'd look at nearby Cranford. The crowd seems younger there, a more trendy area. Westfield is beautiful, but pretty family-oriented.

Old 10-04-2007, 01:52 PM

2,093 posts, read 4,868,307 times
I would agree with Juliann on this
Westfield is very family oriented (some but not a lot of singles your age)
If you are looking for everyday night life you would be
better off in Hoboken or Newport IN JC but if your
plans are to go out only a couple of Nights a week then it would look in Cranford

Old 10-05-2007, 04:30 PM

Hi

thanks for both the inputs (Juliann and Brian) . I had looked at Cranford as well. It seemed like a nice town too . Does it have a nicer social scene and a younger crowd ?

I'm not looking to party every night, I just want to know if the town has a decent amount of single/young people. Since I'll be new to the place I would like to make some friends there. Someone to hang out with , talk to , grab dinner /movie with.

I'm curious though , it's just one town over , so why the difference ?

Look forward to hearing from you again.

I would agree with Juliann on this
Westfield is very family oriented (some but not a lot of singles your age)
If you are looking for everyday night life you would be
better off in Hoboken or Newport IN JC but if your
plans are to go out only a couple of Nights a week then it would look in Cranford[/quote]

Old 10-05-2007, 05:40 PM

2,736 posts, read 8,544,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawi View Post
I'm curious though , it's just one town over , so why the difference ?
Cranford is just a slight bit cheaper. I live in Westfield now, mid-20's, though no longer single... here's what you've got:

The bar scene:
Crossroads (Garwood)
Blackthorn (Kenilworth)
Molly Maguires (Clark)
Jolly Trolly (Westfield)
Cranford Hotel

Movies:
AMC (Mountainside)
Rialto (Westfield)
Cranford Theatre

Coffee:
Starbucks (Westfield)
Rock'n Joe (Cranford & Westfield)
Van Gogh's Ear Cafe (Union)

Theres plenty of us in our mid-twenties, looking for random things to do on any random night. You won't find everything packed like you would in Hoboken, but you don't have to put up with the city life if you just want a nice place with some places to go out with/meet some friends.

Old 10-05-2007, 06:46 PM

687 posts, read 2,910,473 times
Yes, all that , and Cranford is a lot less expensive than Hoboken and JC.

This is just my impression, having been around a bit in both Cranford and Westfield, but Westfield just seems more hoity-toity affluent (SAHMs pushing strollers, driving Mercedes, uppercrust behaviors) than Cranford (trendy, more youthful, more fun, but not classless).

Perhaps CuCullin can confirm, but I think Cranford also has a more intimate feel to it than JC and Hoboken.

I love Hoboken, but those who live there certainly pay for it--I'd just as soon live in the city if I were considering Hoboken. To me, JC just lacks an identity. The other towns don't.

Old 10-09-2007, 09:30 AM

Hi ;
thanks again for the input.

I guess for me since I'm moving from university in Florida to working life in New Jersey the biggest issue is making new friends. I don't want to come home in the evenings and have no one to hang out with.

CuCullin did you find it easy to make friends when you first moved there ?

Old 10-09-2007, 09:36 AM

Quote:
CuCullin did you find it easy to make friends when you first moved there ?
Well when I first moved, I wasn't far away in the first place, so I already knew a few people. However, people are pretty friendly here, so I doubt you'd have any troubles meeting people. Its the usual effort of going out to meet new people that most people don't do

You'll find that being in Kenilworth, you will run into people from the area. Theres also a ton of groups to get involved with, aside from doing coffee-house hopping or just walking downtown.

Old 10-09-2007, 05:38 PM

Do you have any suggestions on groups to join ? I would love getting involved with Animal Shelter work or join some classes/ groups where I might meet people.

I'm Asian and was wondering if there is an Asian population in and around Westfield ? Would I be out of place or is it a diverse place in terms of culture and race.

You have all been very helpful- I appreciate you taking the time to reply. Thanks
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuCullin View Post
Well when I first moved, I wasn't far away in the first place, so I already knew a few people. However, people are pretty friendly here, so I doubt you'd have any troubles meeting people. Its the usual effort of going out to meet new people that most people don't do

You'll find that being in Kenilworth, you will run into people from the area. Theres also a ton of groups to get involved with, aside from doing coffee-house hopping or just walking downtown.

Old 10-10-2007, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Do you have any suggestions on groups to join ? I would love getting involved with Animal Shelter work or join some classes/ groups where I might meet people.

I'm Asian and was wondering if there is an Asian population in and around Westfield ? Would I be out of place or is it a diverse place in terms of culture and race.
For a list of Westfield-based groups, theres Westfield, NJ - Westfield, New Jersey

I know of Humane Societies that meet in Union and Plainfield (both close by - Union the better choice of the two, imho, due to the area), but I don't know much about the groups.

There are Asians in Westfield, though its predominantly white. I'd say a few percent are Asian. However, I wouldn't really consider anyone as being concerned much over race, so I think its a non-issue (unless you're looking for somewhere with a very strong asian population. Roselle Park may be a better choice in that case, I'd guesstimate at about 10% Asian (city-data.com will give you accurate info, these are purely subjective guesses).

Good luck whatever your choice
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or