U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 03:55 PM

12,256 posts, read 15,805,751 times

Advertisements

Hello all I've decided to move to the south Jersey area in May of 2008. Hopefully I will be teaching high school in the area next fall.

Anyhow, my family there is no help with trying to find an apartment and online searches have left me annoyed. Do you all have a service there like apartment hunters? Where they know most of the properties and can tell me which ones I am eligible for as well as which ones will suit my needs?

My family lives in Somerset/Plainfield area but I don't need to be in those areas, as long as I'm within a 30 minute drive.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2007, 04:13 PM

6,272 posts, read 15,533,740 times
Have you tried craigslist?

Old 10-04-2007, 04:42 PM

3,858 posts, read 8,067,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
Hello all I've decided to move to the south Jersey area in May of 2008...My family lives in Somerset/Plainfield area but I don't need to be in those areas, as long as I'm within a 30 minute drive.
I'm confused-do you want to live in South Jersey or teach there or both? The reason I ask is because the areas to the south of Somerset/Plainfield within a 30 minute drive would be Middlesex County/Northern Monmouth (South Brunswick, Old Bridge, etc...) which really isn't South Jersey by any stretch. You could commute to the northern reaches of what most consider to be "South Jersey" from there (Northern Burlington/Ocean Counties), but I guess it could be a difference of semantics Not trying to be rude, I just want to get a handle on specifically what areas you want to look at.

The internet sites are basically useless. There's no substitute for phone calls and pavement pounding. Drive around the area, google "apartments in _______" and try to get phone numbers so that you can make appointments. Again, I don't know where you're looking, but you're going to have more luck in finding either an apartment complex or an apartment over a retail space west of 295 in some of the towns along the river. Some of the towns along the River Line are rapidly changing due to their new status as "transit villages," so you might find something good along there. When my fiancee and I were in the market for an apartment in Somerville (we decided to stay home another year and save for a house) we walked around town and stopped into businesses to inquire about any available apartments above the stores. Most people were extremely helpful.

Old 10-05-2007, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
I'm confused-do you want to live in South Jersey or teach there or both? The reason I ask is because the areas to the south of Somerset/Plainfield within a 30 minute drive would be Middlesex County/Northern Monmouth (South Brunswick, Old Bridge, etc...) which really isn't South Jersey by any stretch. You could commute to the northern reaches of what most consider to be "South Jersey" from there (Northern Burlington/Ocean Counties), but I guess it could be a difference of semantics Not trying to be rude, I just want to get a handle on specifically what areas you want to look at.
I'm from FL - we don't have semantics - everything is "right round the corner" no matter where we're going.

Honestly, I don't really know the diff between Central, South & North Jersey because online they all seem to cross over into one another.

I know I will be teaching in South Jersey, I don't really care as to what area I live in as long as the commute is 30 minutes or less. Right now my commute is about an hour and it's only 20 miles but that's FL traffic for you.

Craigslist seems to be the most workable source from this distance. Thanks for your help.

Old 10-05-2007, 09:48 AM

2,736 posts, read 8,554,235 times
Quote:
I'm from FL - we don't have semantics - everything is "right round the corner" no matter where we're going.

Honestly, I don't really know the diff between Central, South & North Jersey because online they all seem to cross over into one another.

I know I will be teaching in South Jersey, I don't really care as to what area I live in as long as the commute is 30 minutes or less. Right now my commute is about an hour and it's only 20 miles but that's FL traffic for you.

Craigslist seems to be the most workable source from this distance. Thanks for your help.
"South Jersey" covers alot of space... if you could be more specific, it would be helpful

Old 10-05-2007, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuCullin View Post
"South Jersey" covers alot of space... if you could be more specific, it would be helpful

Okay I am hoping to have secured a teaching position at Franklin High School; but I'm okay with not living near the school as long as I don't live more than 30 minutes away. 45 would be the max.

Sorry for my lack of help - I've heard commute time is different there then it is here. Here commuting doesn't relate to distance from point A to point B, but the amount of time you have to sit in traffic from point A to point B.

If there are some websites that would give me more indepth knowledge of the areas then I'll take a look at those and get back to you.

Old 10-05-2007, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Okay I am hoping to have secured a teaching position at Franklin High School; but I'm okay with not living near the school as long as I don't live more than 30 minutes away. 45 would be the max.

Sorry for my lack of help - I've heard commute time is different there then it is here. Here commuting doesn't relate to distance from point A to point B, but the amount of time you have to sit in traffic from point A to point B.

If there are some websites that would give me more indepth knowledge of the areas then I'll take a look at those and get back to you.
No thats ok, I was just thinking... "30 minutes from what?", because theres alot of Jersey in the southern half to cover, so its good to know . Now, there are several Franklins in NJ.. I'm assuming, because its called Franklin HS, that this is the Franklin in Somerset County? If so, thats really central NJ, and there are a number of options. If thats the one, let me know

Old 10-05-2007, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuCullin View Post
Now, there are several Franklins in NJ.. I'm assuming, because its called Franklin HS, that this is the Franklin in Somerset County? If so, thats really central NJ, and there are a number of options. If thats the one, let me know
That's the one!

Old 10-05-2007, 11:44 AM

9,228 posts, read 20,253,831 times
Default Which county?

Well, going to google to look up Franklin NJ, if you click where it says
Franklin, NJ
maps.google.com

it looks like there is one in South Jersey in Glouster County.

Did you mean:
1) Franklin, Sussex
Franklin, Sussex, NJ

2) Franklin, Somerset
Franklin, Somerset, NJ

3) Franklin, Gloucester
Franklin, Gloucester, NJ

4) Franklin, Hunterdon
Franklin, Hunterdon, NJ

5) Franklin, Warren
Franklin, Warren, NJ

Old 10-05-2007, 12:11 PM

Quote:
That's the one!
Ok...

Prices aside, some areas to check out, imho, would be:

Bridgewater
Somerville
Bound Brook (Careful of flood areas)
South Plainfield
New Brunswick
Flemington
Piscataway

Those are damn close to where you'll be working, and not far from Plainfield either. Depending on what place you're looking for, and what you can afford, will determine the area best for you of course. Also, alot of the better apartments (from my experience) are being handled by the owner directly, and not through an agent. I definitely agree that its in your best interest to drive through the areas, and see what looks like it'll fit for you, taking down phone numbers along the way. good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or