U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 04:08 PM

3 posts, read 21,166 times

Advertisements

Hello all, I'm new here have been looking for a thread on the subject of child support laws in NJ. did not find one.
My question is when does support stop for a child going to college with good grades and full time, 12 credits. anyone dealing with the family court system knows how hard it is to get imformation out of them. A lawyer is out of the question Thanks for any help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2007, 05:00 PM

755 posts, read 2,073,308 times
Don't ask me why...I would probably never have a use for this but I had this saved in my MISCELLANEOUS file... FindLaw LawCrawler - Law, Lawyer, Lawyers. Attorney, Attorneys (http://lawcrawler.findlaw.com/ - broken link)

Hope this helps!

Old 10-04-2007, 05:44 PM

432 posts, read 1,690,294 times
Here are the basics:

NJ child support

Whether or not child support continues past age 18 depends on your court order. My ex paid through 4 years of college, age 22. I still had to live here and raise the younger one, and without the child support would not have been able to afford to stay in this area and maintain a home at all.

Really depends on your circumstances, need, and your interspousal agreement, and what the court has ordered.

You mentioned a lawyer is out of the question - the cost of using a lawyer is well worth it to do this properly for college. Since our divorce was final at that time, we worked out an agreement over support during the college years with legal mediation, which meant we did not have to appear in court.

Old 10-05-2007, 10:28 AM

9,173 posts, read 20,201,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblu5 View Post
Hello all, I'm new here have been looking for a thread on the subject of child support laws in NJ. did not find one.
My question is when does support stop for a child going to college with good grades and full time, 12 credits. anyone dealing with the family court system knows how hard it is to get imformation out of them. A lawyer is out of the question Thanks for any help

Every situation is different. I have to agree that you need an attorney. What county are you in? I have an awesome attorney, so far I have never lost a motion with him.

Depending on your divorce agreement, you may have something in there that says specifics, and even if it does / doesn't; depending on circumstances, not only will he have to pay child support during college but he also may have to help or pay for college.

With my 1st divorce, none of it was spelled out since it was in the early 80's. My attorney wrote up a motion where not only did my son get child support, but my Ex had to contribute to his college education. I had direct deposit into my son's savings acount (joint with my name on it) so that the money would be there if needed, and I could transfer it to his checking account for his weekly allowance. It worked out really well.

When my son stopped going to college after the 3rd quarter, Union County sent me a form that I had to show proof of college. Since he dropped out, I never returned it and expected the support to stop but it didn't. Thankfully at this point I did not touch the money because I had to give it back. We then signed an emancipation form, & child support was stopped.

With college payments - since I was disabled, my Ex had to pay more of my son's college then I did. He was responsible for 75%, with me 25%. My son was responsible for what ever loans he qualified for.

Had I not spent the $1,000 (maybe a high number can't recall if it was less) we may not have had the support to begin with nor would he have had to pay his share of college.

IMO, you are not doing your child any favors to not look in the phone book and at least have a free consultation with an attorney. You may be able to pay the attorney in installments or if you are really needy, the judge may award you attorney fees, especially if your Ex makes more then you do. You can also apply for free services.

Old 10-05-2007, 10:40 AM

64 posts, read 222,289 times
Hello,

My friend is a child support probation officer and she said that you should still receive child support payments, as long as your child is enrolled full time in school, depending upon your case and your previous agreements, but that is common.

Old 10-11-2007, 12:23 PM

3 posts, read 21,166 times
To anyone caught up in New Jerseys strict child support laws. I am looking for any imformation that can be added to my article I'm putting together to send to the editors of some local newspapers. This imformation will have to be fact not opionion. On how the Fathers are not getting a fair shake from the child support system. I say father because it is a fact that the payor is usually the Father.

Old 10-11-2007, 02:47 PM

9,173 posts, read 20,201,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblu5 View Post
To anyone caught up in New Jerseys strict child support laws. I am looking for any imformation that can be added to my article I'm putting together to send to the editors of some local newspapers. This imformation will have to be fact not opionion. On how the Fathers are not getting a fair shake from the child support system. I say father because it is a fact that the payor is usually the Father.
Not necessarily. When I had to repay the excess to my Ex; I can't tell you how judges / probation looked down on me. It was humiliating. Even though I had the full amount in a savings account, I paid it back at $30 a week. It originated in Union but was moved to Burlington. The Union probation officer couldn't tell me how much money I owed back. It was a joke.

They got the balance owed from me, I was the one who figured it out. I then started paying a lump sum once a month. Of course this was in violation of the order, so now after a few months it was considered late even though they had the amount correct (1 month in advance). I actually had to go to court; my dad was dying of cancer; the probation office wouldn't stop the hearing and made me go. Thankfully once the judge heard my story (through my tears as I spoke of my dying dad), he changed the order from $30 per week to $90 per 3 weeks or something to that effect.

Sure, I could have given my Ex back the money in one lump sum, but why should I? I can't count the number of times he didn't pay me.

Old 03-28-2010, 01:23 PM

153 posts, read 423,853 times
Why would any child support payments be made after the child is a legal adult? What if your ex-husband can't afford to send a kid to college? Are these guys complete idiots for letting these motions go through without a fight (thus obligating them to tens of thousands of dollars of college debt with no say in the matter whatsoever) or did the system just screw them over?

This seems like quite the scam going on here. Someone should write an article exposing this.

Old 03-28-2010, 07:34 PM

159 posts, read 341,670 times
It depends what your divorce decree (property settlement agreeement) states. My ex has to continue to pay child support past the age of 18 as long as my child is attending school full time. I hope she decides to get her PHD.
Otherwise it will probably end after HS and the age of 18. However, you can file a motion to request your ex continue to pay child support.
I'm not a lawyer but if you'd like more info send me a private message and i might be able to help you out

Old 03-28-2010, 09:07 PM

13,463 posts, read 14,448,359 times
I never understood how a divorced parent could be forced, by judicial fiat, to pay for an offspring's college.

Why don't the courts force all parents to cough up?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or