U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2012, 11:08 AM

22 posts, read 114,790 times

Advertisements

My parents just sold their 11 year old car to a supposed dealer. They signed the title over and got their plates back, but did not get a receipt/bill of sales. They also did not get a copy of the title. Could this cause a problem down the road?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2012, 11:32 AM

1,609 posts, read 2,946,498 times
Did they get their money?

Old 08-25-2012, 12:13 PM

5,327 posts, read 12,332,087 times
No, that is the usual way it's done.

Old 08-25-2012, 12:31 PM

5,327 posts, read 12,332,087 times
If they are not going to use the license plates on another car or the registration they are supposed to turn those in. You go to the receptionist at the NJ MVC office and they give you a receipt when you turn them in.
NJ used to send out letters if you had no active insurance and still had plates out, don't know if they still do that but that would avoid any problems.If they are going to use them on another car they can transfer them over. Never head of anytime limit, I think its sort of a gray area.

Old 08-26-2012, 10:16 PM

25 posts, read 87,366 times
I'm not a lawyer, and nothing I say here should be construed as legal advice. So without further ado...

Yes, there should have been a bill of sale done. I believe the Statute of Frauds covers this, if you have a problem with payment(s) to you, etc.

You should probably request one for taxes/personal records anyway.

Old 08-27-2012, 01:13 AM

22 posts, read 114,790 times
Thank you for your replies!

Old 08-27-2012, 08:38 AM

14,777 posts, read 34,490,118 times
Did they trade the car in on another car or just sell the old car? If it was a trade-in, chances are the bill of sale is somewhere in the pile of paperwork for the new car. If they just sold it, while what they did was fine (assuming they got their money) there should have been a bill of sale made.

Old 08-27-2012, 09:43 AM

5,439 posts, read 14,324,626 times
If you got the money just take it and run. The chances of something happening are not likely especially if you got your plates back. If they signed the title, the titled shows evidence of when it was transferred. Might want to turn in the plates to let the state know you don't own the car anymore.

If someone stole the car and joy rode it, causing damage, you've got the plate turn in, and the money, and the cancellation of insurance to prove it was sold. Not as good as copy of signed title but probably close.

Old 08-28-2012, 10:26 AM

1,977 posts, read 6,632,588 times
I sold 2 cars recently and once all was signed I simply took a good picture with my phone of the title with signatures to keep "on file" as a receipt.

Old 08-28-2012, 03:38 PM

2,097 posts, read 5,492,944 times
I would have an issue of not having something in writing stating the vehicle was sold.

Quote:
If someone stole the car and joy rode it, causing damage, you've got the plate turn in, and the money, and the cancellation of insurance to prove it was sold. Not as good as copy of signed title but probably close.
No, it wouldn't. Someone joyriding and getting into a serious MVA will take off the plates. You now have a uninsured vehicle with no documentation to certify a valid transfer. Showing cash is going to do what? It might be able to be proven but after a lot of legwork and aggravation and possibly summons that will have to be satisfied. With a signed title, none of that would be necessary.

I've seen more than a few instances where a car was "sold" only to come back and bit the prior owner in the butt when the new owner throws fraudulent plates on it and the owner is traced through the last listed by way of the VIN.

I've only sold two motorcycles recently to private buyers. In both cases they were provided with a copy of the title and Bill of Sale. Nothing fancy but it listed both the buyer and sellers info along with the documentation of the exchange of funds. Today almost every printer has a copy function making it easy.

The fact that the title was signed over to the "dealer" does not mean that they will file for a new one. While I have no experience in the new or used car business, getting a bill of sale for any large sale or purchase is just a smart business practice. although not required by law as far as I'm aware. A copy of your parent's signed over title would be sufficient and actually be even better.

It should not be an issue with the "dealer" to give a copy of th title to your parents. If fact it should be standard practice so any hesitation on the "dealers" part might make me be a bit suspicious. While it might have been an oversight, it should not be a problem to correct.

Last edited by rscalzo; 08-28-2012 at 03:47 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey