Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 11:37 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,125,484 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
Its time to re-open the mental asylums in my opinion. Some people with mental illness are just not fit for society.
Not fit for society and not fit to procreate. Makes me sick hearing all these cases of neglected and abused children... It's a viscious cycle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2012, 06:59 AM

19,122 posts, read 25,323,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
Its time to re-open the mental asylums in my opinion. Some people with mental illness are just not fit for society.
While I agree with you, the reality is that it is unlikely to happen.
Why?
Largely because of the hue and cry for the "downsizing" of government, coupled with every politician's attempt to reduce expenditures (or at least to make it appear that he/she is reducing expenditures). Any attempt to increase government expenditures--no matter how valid the reason--is not likely to be looked upon with favor at this point in our existence.

This trend actually began back during the Reagan Administration, so it is nothing new. During The Gipper's term in office, a drastic reduction in federal aid for state mental health programs led to more and more mental patients being pushed out the door of "asylums", albeit with a prescription for some kind of psychoactive medication, and that trend has increased in recent years.

In an ideal world, those "released patients" would take their meds and function in a world outside of the asylum where they had previously resided. Unfortunately, those who are severely unbalanced are not likely to be able to maintain a regimen of medication, and many schizophrenics intentionally refuse to take the medications that turn off the voices in their heads.

Yes, there are many people whose emotional problems are so severe that they need to be institutionalized, but more and more of these facilities are being closed each year, and the remaining capacity has to be utilized for the most severe cases. Unfortunately that leads to a lot of judgment calls regarding who should be institutionalized, and the result is that "marginal" cases are left to their own devices, with little supervision and no way of verifying that they are actually taking their medications.

Old 08-26-2012, 11:00 AM

88,560 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
While I agree with you, the reality is that it is unlikely to happen.
Why?
Largely because of the hue and cry for the "downsizing" of government, coupled with every politician's attempt to reduce expenditures (or at least to make it appear that he/she is reducing expenditures). Any attempt to increase government expenditures--no matter how valid the reason--is not likely to be looked upon with favor at this point in our existence.

This trend actually began back during the Reagan Administration, so it is nothing new. During The Gipper's term in office, a drastic reduction in federal aid for state mental health programs led to more and more mental patients being pushed out the door of "asylums", albeit with a prescription for some kind of psychoactive medication, and that trend has increased in recent years.

In an ideal world, those "released patients" would take their meds and function in a world outside of the asylum where they had previously resided. Unfortunately, those who are severely unbalanced are not likely to be able to maintain a regimen of medication, and many schizophrenics intentionally refuse to take the medications that turn off the voices in their heads.

Yes, there are many people whose emotional problems are so severe that they need to be institutionalized, but more and more of these facilities are being closed each year, and the remaining capacity has to be utilized for the most severe cases. Unfortunately that leads to a lot of judgment calls regarding who should be institutionalized, and the result is that "marginal" cases are left to their own devices, with little supervision and no way of verifying that they are actually taking their medications.
^^^ I witnessed the results of that, since I had been working in the city since 1979. The increase in homeless people, especially the type who were screaming nonsense at passersby and/or talking to themselves was immediately noticeable.

Old 08-26-2012, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
^^^ I witnessed the results of that, since I had been working in the city since 1979. The increase in homeless people, especially the type who were screaming nonsense at passersby and/or talking to themselves was immediately noticeable.
Yup!
One of the less-desirable parts of Ronnie's legacy.

Old 08-26-2012, 04:18 PM

303 posts, read 919,967 times
Where was the social workers whose meant to saves the children - why is no one asking these question other than me? This kid should have been out of this home and if so today would be alive.

Old 08-26-2012, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterPickle View Post
Where was the social workers whose meant to saves the children - why is no one asking these question other than me? This kid should have been out of this home and if so today would be alive.
You need to read all of the most recent news articles regarding this incident if you are going to understand the events that transpired.
Have you done that?

Old 08-26-2012, 05:34 PM

1,646 posts, read 2,780,345 times
Synthetic drugs people...synthetic drugs

Old 08-27-2012, 07:02 PM

5,771 posts, read 16,584,927 times
No matter what anyone does, some things are just going to happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: