Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 03:15 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,075,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zixy_tris View Post
If you miss NJ because you grew up here. That is going to be true. It is your home and it should be that way.
I grew up in midwest. Love it as always!
Moved to SoCal for job, first impression (when I went to interview), WOW!! Beautiful!! When left SoCal and it is as beautiful as it was and hated moving out.

Moved to NY/NJ, first impression, CRAP!! Still CRAP!! Can't wait to get out of here. Hopefully economy picks up and I find a better job else where.

PROJECT 2013.....
It's certainly not for everyone. The pace, the attitude (although it's mostly bluster), the crowds (it bothers me too), the cost, the traffic, etc. I'm amazed at how many people can move to NYC from all over the country and eat it all up. I guess it depends on your expectations and if you have thick skin or not.

On the flip side, most parts of the midwest I've visited are SUPER boring, white-bread nowheres with no good food other than grilled meat, awful chain restaurants which locals consider fine dining like Crapplebee's & Olive Garden, podunk cities and way too far from the ocean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2012, 06:59 PM

51 posts, read 88,291 times
I have lived in Jersey since 1970 after graduating from college. I liked the idea that on the weekends you can escape to the north to ski, to the south to DC and the Smithonian, to Myrtle Beach for lots of golf, to the shore to listen to pounding waves and seagulls. At work I liked the diversity of people and cultures. Now I am retired and interested in photography and I like to explore camera-pleasing places like downtown Princeton, horse farms, State and National Parks, balloon festivals, Delaware River towns, Sculpture Gardens, and the list is endless. Plus you have 4 seasons. We almost moved to Florida but thought that Jersey was plenty hot enough, thank you.

Old 09-09-2012, 11:31 PM

1,202 posts, read 3,029,253 times
I feel like for a lot of people, the draw and allure of NJ is to a degree inexplainable. On the surface, lot of what can be said about NJ's greatness can be said about suburban areas of many cities, as a majority of NJ is very suburban. Even our cities are overlooked as they stand in the shadows of NY or Philly. But with NJ, it's different. The identity is mostly within its own and stands aside from associations.

Suburban areas elsewhere in the country still draw their identity from the city they're closest to. While in NJ, yes to a degree some elements of character will be influenced by NY or Philly, there's still a distinction that makes it unique. Maybe we say coffee a bit different here than there. Or you're gonna order the same hoagie that my hero or sub is gonna be. Whatever, s'long as they don't skimp. For example, a band I played in once obtained a new drummer from Georgia, who tells told us "I'm from Atlanta". Later discover he's actually from Newnan, GA (great little town by the way!) which is a good 40 miles from Atlanta. Now to translate this to Jersey terms, that would be like living in Dover and saying "yea I'm from New York City!" Don't work here.

And that, on a surface level, is something I love and have missed when residing elsewhere about NJ. You're living in a massive metropolitan area, but that doesn't necessarily define where you're from.

NJ stands on its own. And it's friggen great. And I can't get a decent breakfast sandwich anywhere else in the country. Ever tried to order a bagel with taylor ham, egg and cheese at a DINER in Salt Lake City? Your brain will cry in frustration. And not because they don't have taylor ham (or pork roll, for my central and below brethren and still, they don't), but the word "bagel" is as confusing to them as a beer worth drinking is.

Old 09-10-2012, 09:50 AM

456 posts, read 833,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenaperture View Post
I feel like for a lot of people, the draw and allure of NJ is to a degree inexplainable. On the surface, lot of what can be said about NJ's greatness can be said about suburban areas of many cities, as a majority of NJ is very suburban. Even our cities are overlooked as they stand in the shadows of NY or Philly. But with NJ, it's different. The identity is mostly within its own and stands aside from associations.

Suburban areas elsewhere in the country still draw their identity from the city they're closest to. While in NJ, yes to a degree some elements of character will be influenced by NY or Philly, there's still a distinction that makes it unique. Maybe we say coffee a bit different here than there. Or you're gonna order the same hoagie that my hero or sub is gonna be. Whatever, s'long as they don't skimp. For example, a band I played in once obtained a new drummer from Georgia, who tells told us "I'm from Atlanta". Later discover he's actually from Newnan, GA (great little town by the way!) which is a good 40 miles from Atlanta. Now to translate this to Jersey terms, that would be like living in Dover and saying "yea I'm from New York City!" Don't work here.

And that, on a surface level, is something I love and have missed when residing elsewhere about NJ. You're living in a massive metropolitan area, but that doesn't necessarily define where you're from.

NJ stands on its own. And it's friggen great. And I can't get a decent breakfast sandwich anywhere else in the country. Ever tried to order a bagel with taylor ham, egg and cheese at a DINER in Salt Lake City? Your brain will cry in frustration. And not because they don't have taylor ham (or pork roll, for my central and below brethren and still, they don't), but the word "bagel" is as confusing to them as a beer worth drinking is.
I agree, good post.

Old 09-11-2012, 03:13 PM

664 posts, read 1,027,737 times
I love Bergen County and the shore and greek diners. NJ is the best.

Old 09-12-2012, 05:16 PM

51 posts, read 88,291 times
I don't totally relate to the town that I live in. The value is that I can go here, there and everywhere. I put about 25,000 miles on my car per year. Day trips are great. NYC, Philadelphia, Longwood Gardens, Princeton, Nature preserves, and the areas of Lancaster PA to forget about the 21st century. The photography has taught us that places that were used to think were not very interesting can be lovely when the lighting transforms it. I would show a picture I took of the Bayonne Bridge at night if I could figure out how to upload it.

Old 11-10-2012, 01:07 PM

1 posts, read 1,276 times
Unhappy Love NJ

I wouldn't trade NJ for anything in this world. I love Bergenline Ave. I love the fact that you dont need a car to get around. I love the proximaty to NYC. I love the the change of seaons. I love the feeling of home. It is and will always be the place I call home! I now reside in Florida and I hate it here. I cant wait till I get on the nearest flight and get the hell out of this hell hole. I dont have a car so I feel as though I am living in a sureal place the twightlight zone. Florida sucks. The neighbors never come out to socialize. Thete is no family unity. Oh how I miss NJ. Even with the desdruction thathurrican Sandy left behind. It only makes me more determined to help those that need help and be close to my friends and love ones I left behind. Wait for me NJ my heart is going home! Until I get back home I will be sad.

Old 11-10-2012, 01:16 PM

3 posts, read 3,837 times
I miss the views of the manhattan skyline out the window from my condo. I miss going down to Atlantic City to party for the whole weekend.

Old 11-10-2012, 02:18 PM

164 posts, read 247,252 times
I was born in Hoboken, NJ, lived in North Bergen, West NY etc. My Dad passed when I was 9 and we moved to Bergen County to be near my Grandmother and Aunts, Uncles...much better and great place to grow up, wild times in the 70's :0 getting kinda nuts here now though, thinking of moving to South or Midddle Jersey, more peaceful if u ask me. I wish we didn't have to pay the highest taxes, car Ins. and home prices in NJ, I'd like it that much more. Later...JoJo "-)

Old 11-10-2012, 02:21 PM

164 posts, read 247,252 times
Default yup

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
I think it's just more or less missing 'home'. If you were born and raised here or have lived here for an extended time, it will always be your home and have a special place. All of those things you 'miss' are just things that remind you of memories and times you enjoyed. I don't think there is any magic allure to NJ. I don't think it's the greatest place on Earth, nor do I think it's the worst, but it is my 'home' and that has stayed constant whether I was living in Boston or Texas or travelling nearly daily for business or spending time in Europe.
couldn't agree with u more...good post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey