U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2007, 04:18 AM

5,617 posts, read 13,393,789 times

Advertisements

Again this is not a bash NJ thread so read on!! In fact, I can now tell you more of the positive things about New Jersey. Lets start the biggest and good news....... I got a full time really good job!! I was worried, not due to needing money but I think its always a concern for someone who wants to work. So I got a good job, the funny part that I did not expect is that I am pulling in a higher hourly wage than I did in NJ!! I am very happy and still shocked. I mean I take care of disabled (all kinds) of people. Yes I am not a big professional so don't laugh at the wage. I was only making up to 11 dollars an hour in NJ and had to work two years to get that. Up here in NYS I am starting at 13 dollars and hour, and full health Insurance. I have figured out all the reason for this, one not as many people, and they have to pay a living wage up here. So thats the good news. So with my bills lower, about 1/2 to 2/3's and a hire wage, I feel like Rockafeller.

Now the differences are just amazing. Lets face it this is not a move for everyone. There is not a lot of action here at all. Shopping kinda sucks, and I think everyone who lived in NJ for a long time got used to shopping. Food shopping is good, but clothes not so great. People are people here. I dont see a big difference. I think the biggest difference is MENTAL SITMULATION. NJ has a lot of that, here well its not the same. Nature is your stimulation and I have done a few really great hikes, but the mental sitimulation is just not here. The newspaper up here sucks, it was funny in NJ to read all the disaster (crime, tax, and just plain stupidity) again this all adds to mental stimulation) dont have that here. The news is also not the same, except for the loons in VT, thats the news we get, there aint alot of crazys on tv here. Absolutely no culture diversity.

Do I miss NJ, I miss all the action, would I move back, no way, I really love it here just pointing out some of the differences. I love this new life, have a much more positive attitude and feel like I am someone not just a slave in NJ. Now grant it, I could have been more ambitious but I did not want to be. I like working with disabled.

Let me say this, I did not really leave for financial reasons, except that I wanted to insure my retirement more confortable. In otherwords, I am not taking from my Vanguard account as much up here. This will allow it to grow, and I can live off a wage. So lets say I won the lottery right now for 50 million, would I move back to NJ, NO. I would definitly visit, when I had my fill of the craziness, I would retreat to the woods. NJ is a great place to visit, but I would not want to live there.

I am in my element here more. I mean everyone up here works. They have to. There is not an influx of rich people up here. They actually can be quite poor. The full time Adirondack people are really poor, resourceful and poor. They dont run out and buy new big ticket items, this makes the area compared to NJ, kinda dumpy. I mean Compare Plattsburgh to NJ and hands down Plattsburg is a dump. HOwever this is my element. I fit in here. I wear jeans, the last time I wore a dress was my wedding. I am not fancy, so I see now that I never really fit in NJ. Plus I also see how angry I was getting in NJ and who wants to live that way. Angry because I was jealous, because I was a low wage earner, maybe I don't know, but that competition element is gone. Nice to have some peace.

Last edited by stevemorse; 10-05-2007 at 04:32 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2007, 05:17 AM

146 posts, read 448,940 times
Working with the disabled population is extremely rewarding, I've done it for ten years. Home is where your heart is. If you're at peace where you are at, then that's all that matters. Wishing you all the best.

Old 10-05-2007, 05:37 AM

2,736 posts, read 9,343,977 times
Glad you're happy with your new life! Sometimes you need to make a change to get ahead. Your biggest raise can be in the form of a new job. Good luck to you!

Old 10-05-2007, 06:30 AM

12,928 posts, read 24,062,349 times
Hey congrats on the new job!! Social work is always low paying even for professionals so I'm glad you got an increase.

Now as for the "loons" in Vermont were you referring to "loony" people or actual loons....lol ;0

Old 10-05-2007, 06:59 AM

29 posts, read 121,701 times
Congrats on the NEW JOB! Best of luck to you and I would like to extend Peace, Love and Blessings!!

Life is toooo short....I'm glad you've found Peace along with a rewarding job. Some people live this life and never find either, you're one of the lucky ones.

Old 10-05-2007, 10:03 AM

5,617 posts, read 13,393,789 times
njkate, that was a good one. No I love the loons, on Lake CLear they are beautiful. The vermont loons were the people. I say this in jest too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or