U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 12:27 PM

12,284 posts, read 30,953,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuCullin View Post
OUCH.

Thankfully, I'm even less than yours - if I was even half the one in palm beach you mentioned... I wouldn't be able to buy!
the story of these ppl is kinda funny (not haha funny) - they moved to florida to buy a house with the intent of flipping and to reduce their expenses. between property taxes and insurance (over $15K/yr) they are paying WAY more than they did in NJ. they put the house up for sale about 1 yr ago for way more than they bought (purchased in 05), and purchased another in the meantime. you know the rest. house still hasn't sold, and it's now priced at what they paid. carrying 2 mortgages. unfortunately this story isn't uncommon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2007, 01:03 PM

118 posts, read 552,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kappy View Post
I'm getting home sick just reading these posts. We'll be moving back in a few years ( I hope). Jersey Devil, here I come

I think once you come back and go back home you'll be glad you did. We're moving to VA and I say now I won't be homesick but I will I am sure, for a while anyway. NJ will always be my home too. It's going to look like NYC soon so we should be happy we were able to leave. Our roots are here and we can't change that. I'll always be a Jersey Girl and proud of it but I will be 50 and MORTGAGE FREE!!! DEBT FREE!!!!! I can always come back to visit. Did you notice when you go away somewhere, home always looks better when your away from it?

Old 10-15-2007, 03:02 PM

299 posts, read 1,194,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Yo Kappy.

I'm from South Jersey, too, about a half-hour from Philly (I now live in Washington state), and guess what? My wife and I are flying back to Jersey next week to check out retirement spots near Long Beach Island.

I guess Jersey-fever is incurable....
Hey, I'm three years behind you before I come back. Long Beach Island is a fantastic area and you already know that Jersey folks are the best!! Have a great time

Old 10-15-2007, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CURT View Post
You are right on. Ive been watching prices in central florida and south jersey and they are very comparable. property taxes are within range of each other also. homeowners insurance may be more expensive here, I don't know.
There is so much new building here that prices have dropped big time. I tend to think of South Jersey as a tighter market but I can only speculate. As for home insurance, I don't have it that bad in Central Florida but it is still a lot more then Jersey. Taxes on the other hand are way more in Jersey but then if you add the price of : high water bills, cost of bug monthly control, sales tax, food( seems to be more), gas (because services are far such as hospitals etc.) & the lack of jobs ( unless you speak two languages) the costs may even out. In any event I miss New Jersey & I will return

Old 10-15-2007, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
i would say YES to homeowner's being more expensive down there. ancedotal, but i know someone with a house in palm beach county and their homeowners (including hurricane insurance) is about $6K/YEAR! Dear God in heaven! Far cry from my $350.00
Tahiti - you got that right. Actually Central Florida is paying for the problems of all the other areas that usually get hit by hurricanes, big time. The fact is central Florida doesn't usually get bad hurricanes & right before I moved here I was told there hadn't been one for 30 years; so I move in and 1 week later Bam Carlie visits, then two more. What a welcome - I don't think Florida & I started on a good note. Jersey is a lot safer in many, many ways. I think I miss walking barefoot on the grass the most - you don't go barefoot anywhere in the south, ever No, no I miss the Jersey food the most or is it..........the list is endless.

Old 10-15-2007, 08:04 PM

5,370 posts, read 10,134,198 times
Welcome back Kappy, people should realize that they must sell there homes FIRST before they buy another one. If you don't you will get hit hard in the pocketbook. The worst case scenario is if you sell and don't find a home before your ready to buy the new home you could rent. The market is bad all over. I was just on the coastal North Carolina forum and the realtor is saying only 5 percent of the homes that were listed have sold, and that area is supposed to be a hot market.

Last edited by JERSEY MAN; 10-15-2007 at 08:06 PM.. Reason: forgot a sentence

Old 10-16-2007, 08:49 AM

467 posts, read 1,523,673 times
Quote:
i would say YES to homeowner's being more expensive down there. ancedotal, but i know someone with a house in palm beach county and their homeowners (including hurricane insurance) is about $6K/YEAR! Dear God in heaven! Far cry from my $350.00
I am in central florida now..Oviedo. That is pretty inland and homeownwers is still pretty high. some pay low 1ks, some pay low-mid 2k's.

Old 10-16-2007, 08:56 AM

Quote:
the story of these ppl is kinda funny (not haha funny) - they moved to florida to buy a house with the intent of flipping and to reduce their expenses. between property taxes and insurance (over $15K/yr) they are paying WAY more than they did in NJ. they put the house up for sale about 1 yr ago for way more than they bought (purchased in 05), and purchased another in the meantime. you know the rest. house still hasn't sold, and it's now priced at what they paid. carrying 2 mortgages. unfortunately this story isn't uncommon.

very true.
most who purchased in 2005, whether they planned to stay or flip ran into serious problems. some intended to refi at some point and fix their rates but now can't appraise enough to do so.
most folks who moved here to live here prior to all this are ok. When I moved it was definately cost effective (1991)to do so. It is just not the case as of 2005 and maybe a tad prior to that when it was increaseing to get to the 2005 level.

Old 10-16-2007, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kappy View Post
There is so much new building here that prices have dropped big time. I tend to think of South Jersey as a tighter market but I can only speculate. As for home insurance, I don't have it that bad in Central Florida but it is still a lot more then Jersey. Taxes on the other hand are way more in Jersey but then if you add the price of : high water bills, cost of bug monthly control, sales tax, food( seems to be more), gas (because services are far such as hospitals etc.) & the lack of jobs ( unless you speak two languages) the costs may even out. In any event I miss New Jersey & I will return
my brother has a 2000 sf home in bayville and last years property tax was 3200.00
my neighbor bought his house last year in oviedo so was not entitled yet to save our homes, but has a 1600 sf house and pays 4500.00
as you know florida has a serious property tax issue going on. its still up in the air what is going to happen with it.
I like where I am but have always missed nj. I can't seem to convince my wife to move back. I've been trying for a few years with no luck. I don't dislike where I am but I guess I could just never get nj out of my heart. I tried real hard too.

Old 10-16-2007, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CURT View Post
my brother has a 2000 sf home in bayville and last years property tax was 3200.00
my neighbor bought his house last year in oviedo so was not entitled yet to save our homes, but has a 1600 sf house and pays 4500.00
as you know florida has a serious property tax issue going on. its still up in the air what is going to happen with it.
I like where I am but have always missed nj. I can't seem to convince my wife to move back. I've been trying for a few years with no luck. I don't dislike where I am but I guess I could just never get nj out of my heart. I tried real hard too.
Curt - that's so sad I know exactly how you feel. With me it's the opposite - my husband likes Florida & I don't. I'm more attached to Jersey & I'm the one pushing to go back. Maybe if you show your spouse some of the great Florida large & dangerous insects she will have a change of heart Just kidding
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or