U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 05:34 PM

467 posts, read 1,523,892 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kappy View Post
Curt - that's so sad I know exactly how you feel. With me it's the opposite - my husband likes Florida & I don't. I'm more attached to Jersey & I'm the one pushing to go back. Maybe if you show your spouse some of the great Florida large & dangerous insects she will have a change of heart Just kidding
we've been here 16 years...she's seen it all.
she just settled in way better than I did. It gets harder too since our kids were 3 and 6 when we got here and one was born here. nj is just some foriegn land to all of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2007, 07:34 PM

299 posts, read 1,194,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CURT View Post
we've been here 16 years...she's seen it all.
she just settled in way better than I did. It gets harder too since our kids were 3 and 6 when we got here and one was born here. nj is just some foriegn land to all of them.
16 years Actually the Oviedo area is very nice - much nicer then where I am (south of Kissimmee). At least you can use this board to keep in touch with Jersey folks ( they are the best). When they start talking food, that's when I really start to drool. Hey, I even got excited following the WaWa discussion thread

Old 10-17-2007, 04:45 AM

Quote:
16 years Actually the Oviedo area is very nice - much nicer then where I am (south of Kissimmee). At least you can use this board to keep in touch with Jersey folks ( they are the best). When they start talking food, that's when I really start to drool. Hey, I even got excited following the WaWa discussion thread
HA HA...I spent 10 of the 16 years scouting out pizza. I did find it finally. Oviedo is very nice. I just get home sick alot. Its just one of those things...It never felt like home to me here and it IS home to my kids. I visit every year but missed this year so far..thats probably why its bothering me more these days...missed my nj fix.
sure would like to see a diner open up down here somewhere......

Old 10-17-2007, 11:07 AM

299 posts, read 1,194,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CURT View Post
HA HA...I spent 10 of the 16 years scouting out pizza. I did find it finally. Oviedo is very nice. I just get home sick alot. Its just one of those things...It never felt like home to me here and it IS home to my kids. I visit every year but missed this year so far..thats probably why its bothering me more these days...missed my nj fix.
sure would like to see a diner open up down here somewhere......
Okay, so share Where is the pizza place you found. I travel about 1 1/4 hours just to get a half way decent bagel so I don't mind going further for good pizza. I too miss the diners - Jersey has some great ones with some being almost gormet (like the Greek diners). Used to go to one on the way to Atlantic City off of the Black Horse Pike route. It is a tiny local diner with the best home made pies & cakes. Some very , how should I put this, unethical folks were always there and ease dropping on their conversations became a habit; we learned all about prison life. I wonder why Florida doesn't have any diners? Wouldn't be as good as Jersey anyway

Old 10-17-2007, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Okay, so share Where is the pizza place you found. I travel about 1 1/4 hours just to get a half way decent bagel so I don't mind going further for good pizza. I too miss the diners - Jersey has some great ones with some being almost gormet (like the Greek diners). Used to go to one on the way to Atlantic City off of the Black Horse Pike route. It is a tiny local diner with the best home made pies & cakes. Some very , how should I put this, unethical folks were always there and ease dropping on their conversations became a habit; we learned all about prison life. I wonder why Florida doesn't have any diners? Wouldn't be as good as Jersey anyway
its goodfellas on 50 and alafaya in east orlando. might be one near you, i dont know. the slices flop and everything. there is another place in lake mary called vivonas. the owner is from brooklyn.
I had some friends visit recently from nj and they brought bagels down with them. thay were like the ones you can get from new york bagel and manhattan bagel. einstein bagel is a joke.
I found pork roll at publix (taylor).
I still need to find a good sub. there is a a jersey mikes here but it isnt very good. unfortunatley publix is about the best i can find.
I guess diners are just real big in nj and florida is a meting pot from everywhere. there is a place in oviedo that is similar to a real diner but has a small menu, not like the anything you want menu at a nj diner.
I was going to go up for thanksgiving but 1 of my sond can't get off all 4 days and we don't want to leave him alone for the holiday. I may miss this year completely.

Old 10-18-2007, 05:09 AM
GJM

465 posts, read 1,689,014 times
That is funny about the bagels. We moved to SC from NJ. I drove up in June, my husband had me bring back 24 everything bagels - my car smelled for weeks!

We still have not found good pizza or subs. I don't consider subway "good" subs. We are going back in Dec. for Christmas and I am already thinking about what I want to eat and we are driving so I know we will be bringing back bagels!

I don't even have any decent food stores - in NJ the food stores were big and had lots of choices, here it is so small.

Old 03-28-2008, 09:20 AM

2 posts, read 7,641 times
It's possible to find good food outside of NJ. You just have to work at it. You can't just wander into any old pizzeria or Thai place the way you can here. It's a challenge, I'll admit. But that's part of the pleasure of travel, no?

Old 03-28-2008, 09:36 AM

7,965 posts, read 16,786,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyFriendly View Post
It's possible to find good food outside of NJ. You just have to work at it. You can't just wander into any old pizzeria or Thai place the way you can here. It's a challenge, I'll admit. But that's part of the pleasure of travel, no?
Food is inherently regional. Pizza, subs, bagels, seafood are superior in NJ, but for instance, Maine has great lobster rolls, if that's your disposition! A great sandwich, the Muffaletta, can be found in New Orleans. It's like a sloppy seafood gumbo sub. Dim sum or fish tacos in California. Then, of course, where I now live, I've discovered new cuisines that I could never dream of ingesting in New Jersey. A tasty example:

Old 03-28-2008, 02:42 PM

1,508 posts, read 5,385,908 times
Default What the heck????

For the love of God, WHAT WAS THAT????

Old 07-27-2010, 07:44 PM

286 posts, read 321,313 times
I've said this several times before on other posts. I really miss NJ. There's no place like home as far as I'm concerned. I spent the afternoon on my wave runner, watched the sun set in a spectacular sky and see the Smokies on a daily basis... but I still miss NJ. I miss my bagels, the Giants, the Yankees, hearing people that talk like me. I miss Manhattan and all my radio stations. I miss Seaside and I miss Lake George. In other words, I miss all the things that were so familiar to me. Everyone is different. Some people like change, I do not. I hope one day to be able to go back home...in the meantime I fly back often. The hardest part is watching the plane bank over the NY skyline and head back towards Tennessee.... after 3 years, it still feels the same way. Not good...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or