Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 03:41 PM

543 posts, read 1,456,071 times

Advertisements

I said nothing about not posting, of course you can post. But sorry, I think it's wrong if someone has a real negative view of a state, does not live here, and is the moderator. That's just my opinion. Correct me if I'm wrong but I had already noticed that the mod's on this forum were people who had moved out of NJ. Do we really need more people implying by their comments how horrible this state is and how great the south is? You know that you're going to be more tolerant of the bashers than you are of the people who love it here. I just think to be a mod ideally you should be living here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2007, 04:44 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,382,644 times
My "job" as a moderatror is to make sure that the rules of the forums are being enforced- not to support the opinions of one side or the other. I moderate the NJ and Las Vegas forums because that's where I spend my time, so it's easy to see what's going on. I also keep an eye on the GA forum and any others that I pop into and correct posts there, even though I'm not officially the designated moderator for those places. It's a thankless position, I tell 'ya.

And I don't think I have a "real negative" view of NJ at all- as I said, I enjoyed some parts of living there, but not for what it costs. I feel it's better to have someone watching the forum who has lived in other places besides NJ, because it lets them understand that there's more to the country than just NJ- not like some of the lifers who are always saying "I could NEVER live in XYZ- I visited there once on vacation and it was so ______".

Anyway, I'm here, you're here, so I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, and I'll try to be a little more NJ-sensitive with my posts so I don't appear "too negative"

Bob

Old 10-12-2007, 08:34 PM

299 posts, read 1,333,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
My "job" as a moderatror is to make sure that the rules of the forums are being enforced- not to support the opinions of one side or the other. I moderate the NJ and Las Vegas forums because that's where I spend my time, so it's easy to see what's going on. I also keep an eye on the GA forum and any others that I pop into and correct posts there, even though I'm not officially the designated moderator for those places. It's a thankless position, I tell 'ya.

And I don't think I have a "real negative" view of NJ at all- as I said, I enjoyed some parts of living there, but not for what it costs. I feel it's better to have someone watching the forum who has lived in other places besides NJ, because it lets them understand that there's more to the country than just NJ- not like some of the lifers who are always saying "I could NEVER live in XYZ- I visited there once on vacation and it was so ______".

Anyway, I'm here, you're here, so I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, and I'll try to be a little more NJ-sensitive with my posts so I don't appear "too negative"

Bob
Bob - I for one appreciate how you moderate this forum. I am on this one & the Florida /Orlando board and let me tell you the moderator of that board is very harsh. If you go off topic by the slightest, even one sentence, your post gets cancelled. The Jersey forum is great most posters aren't super sensitive, very little bashing, opinions are given, & joking keeps things light. I see no problems with your posts & you have given lots of info to people. I for one thank you for doing a great job. I know this is off topic ten slaps with a wet noodle & please don't delete this

Old 10-13-2007, 02:34 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,915,570 times
And back to NJ discussion...

We've been out of NJ for almost 20 years. Did 12 years in VA and a few in MD before moving to the Charlotte area in NC (darned relocations!).

Financially and standard of living in mind, I don't miss NJ a bit.

What we do miss are our lifelong friends, walking on the boardwalk after dinner, Wall Stadium, pork roll and cheese at the Allenwood General store, and being able to hop the train to visit NYC around the holidays.

When all is said and done, I'm hoping we can empty-nest in northern MD. We lived near Gettysburg and Camp David. It is beautiful with a capital B in that area. (And not too bad a of drive to visit NJ!)

Old 10-14-2007, 07:47 PM

93 posts, read 307,438 times
Hi NJ Texan,

I am also from NJ (orig from morris county) but lived in Ocean county. I transferred to Austin and love it! Lots of fellow NJ people are starting to see the light and move here, it really is the best. I don't miss NJ at all except for pizza and family.

Old 10-14-2007, 08:02 PM

1,507 posts, read 5,907,805 times
Thumbs down Bob said Dog Crap??????

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Or like the dog crap that just won't scrape off of your shoe

Bob
Hmm so what you're saying is that just like Dog crap sticks to your shoes, Jersey People Stick Together ? WOW...

I have to agree with NJChick & JerZ. Put me on the list of "we'll just agree to disagree too Bob"

Old 10-15-2007, 11:23 AM

467 posts, read 1,691,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
kappy, parts of south jersey are still reasonable. the orlando area up until recently was as or more expensive than south jersey in the area you were. florida's suffering from the whole real estate fiasco right now, but i kinda think if you can afford down there, you can afford south jersey. am i off base?
You are right on. Ive been watching prices in central florida and south jersey and they are very comparable. property taxes are within range of each other also. homeowners insurance may be more expensive here, I don't know.

Old 10-15-2007, 11:44 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,690,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CURT View Post
You are right on. Ive been watching prices in central florida and south jersey and they are very comparable. property taxes are within range of each other also. homeowners insurance may be more expensive here, I don't know.

i would say YES to homeowner's being more expensive down there. ancedotal, but i know someone with a house in palm beach county and their homeowners (including hurricane insurance) is about $6K/YEAR! Dear God in heaven! Far cry from my $350.00

Old 10-15-2007, 12:10 PM

2,736 posts, read 9,670,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
i would say YES to homeowner's being more expensive down there. ancedotal, but i know someone with a house in palm beach county and their homeowners (including hurricane insurance) is about $6K/YEAR! Dear God in heaven! Far cry from my $350.00
OUCH.

Thankfully, I'm even less than yours - if I was even half the one in palm beach you mentioned... I wouldn't be able to buy!

Old 10-15-2007, 12:17 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,330,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kappy View Post
I'm now in Florida - Kissimmee area In about three years I'll be able to say I've been to hell & back. I'm used to the south Jersey area, about 40 minutes from Philly. I understand it has gotten even more expensive the past few years so I don't know how realistic my expectations are. If I didn't miss Jersey so much I probably wouldn't be reading or posting on the board. Thanks all for the Jersey news & opinions - good, bad or indifferent.
Yo Kappy.

I'm from South Jersey, too, about a half-hour from Philly (I now live in Washington state), and guess what? My wife and I are flying back to Jersey next week to check out retirement spots near Long Beach Island.

I guess Jersey-fever is incurable....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey