Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 01:25 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,977,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunnor View Post
Mahwah and rest of Northwestern Bergen County area has lots of Deers. That's why we see many "Deer sign" warnings.
How do they get the deer to cross at those signs???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2012, 07:08 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,203,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Stop Building into areas where they live and let Nature run its course....
Deer live in the entire US. So unless you're proposing abandoning the country and moving everyone to Africa and Australia (deer pretty much live in all of Eurasia except the Gobi Desert, and all of the Americas), that's not going to happen.

Of course we could try to control their population by re-introducing their main natural predator, the grey wolf.

Old 09-04-2012, 07:14 PM

1,834 posts, read 2,694,321 times
Mothers should take their daughters hunting. Wildlife gone wild is a threat to humans as well as animals and other wild life.

Old 09-04-2012, 08:22 PM

478 posts, read 1,229,710 times
We had a real mild winter which didn't help. Deer are my main fear driving at dusk/night. Clipped one once, no head-ons thankfully.

Old 09-04-2012, 08:37 PM

1,446 posts, read 4,596,517 times
Quote:
Of course we could try to control their population by re-introducing their main natural predator, the grey wolf.
Interesting idea! Not practical (they need more land), but interesting! Wolves actually did live here in NJ before they were wiped out in early colonial times.

Quote:
Mothers should take their daughters hunting. Wildlife gone wild is a threat to humans as well as animals and other wild life.
There are indeed more female hunters these days. However, I still do not see the majority of women as "hunters." Maybe that true for cats, the females tend to kill more birds and mice, but not true among humans. Men are the killers in this regard. Always were. Always will be. LOL!

Old 09-04-2012, 08:49 PM

88,525 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lentzr View Post
Interesting idea! Not practical (they need more land), but interesting! Wolves actually did live here in NJ before they were wiped out in early colonial times.

There are indeed more female hunters these days. However, I still do not see the majority of women as "hunters." Maybe that true for cats, the females tend to kill more birds and mice, but not true among humans. Men are the killers in this regard. Always were. Always will be. LOL!
My sister's been hunting deer for decades. Wild turkeys, too. She lives in the Poconos. They hunt and grow a lot of their own food. Can vegetables from the garden, etc.

Old 09-04-2012, 08:51 PM

1,446 posts, read 4,596,517 times
Quote:
My sister's been hunting deer for decades. Wild turkeys, too. She lives in the Poconos. They hunt and grow a lot of their own food. Can vegetables from the garden, etc.
I am sure that she does hunt. Some women do. But any research into the topic will still show it is a very disproportionately male sport/activity.

Old 09-06-2012, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lentzr View Post
I am sure that she does hunt. Some women do. But any research into the topic will still show it is a very disproportionately male sport/activity.
Yes, definitely. Was just throwing in an exception.

It's certainly not something I could do, but I do enjoy the venison when I visit my sister.

Old 09-06-2012, 08:24 AM

19,119 posts, read 25,316,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I do enjoy the venison when I visit my sister.

You are aware, I assume, of CWD?
This is a variant of so-called Mad Cow Disease, to which deer are prone.
Hopefully, your sister takes proper precautions against this deadly disease when she is cutting up those deer.

Chronic wasting disease - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-08-2012, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
You are aware, I assume, of CWD?
This is a variant of so-called Mad Cow Disease, to which deer are prone.
Hopefully, your sister takes proper precautions against this deadly disease when she is cutting up those deer.

Chronic wasting disease - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Never heard of it, but holy &^%$. I just read your link and a couple of others, and it doesn't appear that the disease has been identified in deer in PA, but this is alarming for reasons I don't really want to go into right now.

Thanks for this info, Retriever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey