Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 08:22 PM

111 posts, read 540,568 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know the average teaching salary for new teachers in northern NJ with a BA or MA? (Bergen, Essex, Passaic counties)

I currently live in Northern VA and the current salary for a new teacher with a BA is around $46,000, and $49,500 for MA. Im considering a move to Northern NJ and wondering if the salary would be comparable.
Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2007, 08:42 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,773,215 times
They vary by district, not county. Urban schools, such as Newark, pay more than Bloomfield. Salaries are online. If I can find the site, I'll post it.

eta: I believe this is the site:

Search for New Jersey public schools.

Old 10-05-2007, 09:13 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,304,701 times
If the salary is higher you also have to consider the costs of living in NNJ and NOVA.

Private schools pay well I heard, and the teachers' union is huge up here.

But why the sudden move, are you just one of those people who want to be close to NYC? It is ok, when I was in high school not too long ago, I had teachers who were like that.

Old 10-06-2007, 10:11 PM

64 posts, read 243,732 times
Its around the same, my friends teach and I believe they started around $45K last year, I'm not sure what the starting is this year, of course you receive a little more if you are ESE or you have a Master's degree, and if you decide to teach in a high-risk area. They also wipe out federal loans if you do, im not sure if you have loans, but its something to look into.

Old 10-06-2007, 10:16 PM

Some towns are only paying upper 30's.

Old 10-06-2007, 11:37 PM

Thanks to all for your information!

Old 10-07-2007, 08:44 AM

1,106 posts, read 4,884,930 times
Salaries are one thing...finding a job can be another. If you are an elementary teacher beware that it can be difficult to find a job. There is a great deal of competition for elementary positions. Having the MA is good but it is definitely more about who you know. I'm not saying it's impossible but I know a lot of qualified people that substituted for a year or two before landing a permanent position...even in the urban districts like Newark and Elizabeth.

Old 10-07-2007, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrjersey View Post
Salaries are one thing...finding a job can be another. If you are an elementary teacher beware that it can be difficult to find a job. There is a great deal of competition for elementary positions. Having the MA is good but it is definitely more about who you know. I'm not saying it's impossible but I know a lot of qualified people that substituted for a year or two before landing a permanent position...even in the urban districts like Newark and Elizabeth.
What about having a M.Ed in Special Ed? Do you think that would be any easier in finding a position?

Old 10-07-2007, 01:11 PM

Special Ed teachers are more in demand than say El Ed. As hrjersey said, it's pretty political, unless you have a degree in a field where the demand is high. you could check njhire.com for more info.

Old 10-07-2007, 07:05 PM

3 posts, read 45,390 times
Default salaries

Quote:
Originally Posted by salomea View Post
Does anyone know the average teaching salary for new teachers in northern NJ with a BA or MA? (Bergen, Essex, Passaic counties)

I currently live in Northern VA and the current salary for a new teacher with a BA is around $46,000, and $49,500 for MA. Im considering a move to Northern NJ and wondering if the salary would be comparable.
Thanks for your help!

Recently the local paper had the salries of teachers in the Rutherford area--the highest paid is Carlstadt with salaries in the 80,000 range. Rutherord isn't too far behind. Yes it is true........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey