U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-17-2007, 10:02 AM
 
Location: Atlantic Highlands NJ/Ponte Vedra FL/NYC
2,689 posts, read 2,855,105 times
Reputation: 328

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone65 View Post
Why would Pt. Beach schools come as a surprise to someone who is speaking as if they know quite a bit about the schools in NJ?
I agree with the poster who said that Barnegat schools are ranked at the bottom of the barrel. Just the facts.
I never said I knew it all, I was surprised that their school is ranked as high as it is
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-17-2007, 10:08 AM
 
Location: Jersey Shore
828 posts, read 2,847,572 times
Reputation: 241
Quote:
pt. beach ranked so high comes as a surprise
WHy is that?
When I moved down to Ocean County back in '97 I did my homework and found out that Point/Point Beach have the best schools in the area. This has continued for the past decade.

Just wondering...
Do you live in Ocean County?
Do you know of the curriculum in Point's schools?
How about the curriculum in Lacey?
The overcrowding in Brick?

If you have, or had, school age children then share what you know...I have my ears wide open.
I do, and I would never send my son to a school system that only has a 91% graduation rate. That is so far below the State average that it is sickening. I would, however, want to know about a school system that is at 98% for its grad rate and offers a diversity of courses that is second to none in the County.
Again, just the facts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2007, 10:28 AM
 
Location: Atlantic Highlands NJ/Ponte Vedra FL/NYC
2,689 posts, read 2,855,105 times
Reputation: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by fischfan13 View Post
WHy is that?
When I moved down to Ocean County back in '97 I did my homework and found out that Point/Point Beach have the best schools in the area. This has continued for the past decade.

Just wondering...
Do you live in Ocean County?
Do you know of the curriculum in Point's schools?
How about the curriculum in Lacey?
The overcrowding in Brick?

If you have, or had, school age children then share what you know...I have my ears wide open.
I do, and I would never send my son to a school system that only has a 91% graduation rate. That is so far below the State average that it is sickening. I would, however, want to know about a school system that is at 98% for its grad rate and offers a diversity of courses that is second to none in the County.
Again, just the facts.
sounds as if you've got your panties knotted!
you don't need to defend your choices.
I live in Monmouth and most of the public HS in the area stink, other than Holmdel, rfh and the freehold reg. district the rest of them are poor performers. My kids go to a private HS because of the poor choices where I am. And their hs sends 100% to college
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2007, 10:46 AM
 
25,476 posts, read 23,311,513 times
Reputation: 15343
I love Ocean County....my friends are from Brick Township and they love it....

Cape May County is great, b/c it's a hop, skip and jump to DE?

It all depends on your needs....but the closer you get to the beach, the more expensive is housing and taxes in NJ are devestating....

Hugs and good luck
Creme
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2007, 02:06 PM
 
Location: Jersey Shore
828 posts, read 2,847,572 times
Reputation: 241
Quote:
sounds as if you've got your panties knotted!
Why do you say that, because I proved you wrong?
Wait then, let me prove you wrong again!

Quote:
I live in Monmouth and most of the public HS in the area stink, other than Holmdel, rfh and the freehold reg. district the rest of them are poor performers
Which Freehold?
Because there are a bunch or High Schools rated better than either HS in Freehold.
Ocean is better with a 98.5% Grad rate
Marlboro has a 99.6% rate
Middletown South 98.6%
Shore Reg (WLB) 100%


What about panties?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2007, 02:00 AM
DNJ
 
54 posts, read 211,219 times
Reputation: 20
Barnegat has a new high school. This is the first year that Barnegat will have a senior class. Previously Barnegat students attended Southern Regional HS in Stafford Township.

Just a side note-NJ Monthly rated Barnegat the Best Place to live in Ocean County. Barnegat of today has come a long way from the Barnegat of years past.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2007, 07:42 AM
 
Location: field of angels
107 posts, read 216,965 times
Reputation: 90
If you want factual info on Barnegat schools and their educational ratings go to thebarnegatpress.com There are links there to every aspect of our school system and the official education evaluation of every school in the Barnegat Township district.

The "free" summer camp came with a $90,000. operating cost. Guess who paid it? We, the taxpayers did and that outrageous pricetag is why there more than likely will be no camp next year. I don't know where you got your info, but although many teachers (along with counselors aged 16 and over) signed on for the camp (a great and needed summer paycheck subsidy), they do not run it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsangia View Post
You cannot say Barnegat has bad schools, b/c you don't live here. I have 5 children in 4 different schools here and CANNOT say enough about the education they recieve. The teachers REALLLY care about the kids.

When my daughter needed extra help in math the teacher invited her to have LUNCH with her!!!

We have free summer camps 5 days a week run by the teachers.

THe area is building up so much and they are keeping up. THe average class has 18 kids!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2007, 10:39 AM
 
Location: Nashville, TN
2,866 posts, read 8,287,222 times
Reputation: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by fischfan13 View Post
Why do you say that, because I proved you wrong?
Wait then, let me prove you wrong again!

Which Freehold?
Because there are a bunch or High Schools rated better than either HS in Freehold.
Ocean is better with a 98.5% Grad rate
Marlboro has a 99.6% rate
Middletown South 98.6%
Shore Reg (WLB) 100%


What about panties?
The person is talking about the Freehold Regional HS district which is excellent.
It composes of
Marlboro
Manalapan
Freehold Township
Freehold Boro
Colts Neck
Howell

Diane G
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2007, 10:52 AM
 
9,124 posts, read 32,123,471 times
Reputation: 3519
Quote:
Originally Posted by fischfan13 View Post
Why do you say that, because I proved you wrong?
Wait then, let me prove you wrong again!

Which Freehold?
Because there are a bunch or High Schools rated better than either HS in Freehold.
Ocean is better with a 98.5% Grad rate
Marlboro has a 99.6% rate
Middletown South 98.6%
Shore Reg (WLB) 100%

So the only measure of "better" in your opinion, is the graduation rate, I take it?? As long as they can drag all the kids through to the finish line, regardless of whether they've got any knowledge, the school is great, in your opinion. Interesting concept.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2007, 12:10 PM
 
Location: Atlantic Highlands NJ/Ponte Vedra FL/NYC
2,689 posts, read 2,855,105 times
Reputation: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
So the only measure of "better" in your opinion, is the graduation rate, I take it?? As long as they can drag all the kids through to the finish line, regardless of whether they've got any knowledge, the school is great, in your opinion. Interesting concept.
I dropped out of this discussion because of what you noticed, a complete lack of understanding of what makes one school better than another, a good yardstick is what percentage of students go on to college, coupled with completion stats will give you a good indicator of the job the school is doing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top