U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 09:11 PM

828 posts, read 2,846,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
a good yardstick is what percentage of students go on to college,

And you can only get to college by graduating from High School.

Quote:
So the only measure of "better" in your opinion, is the graduation rate, I take it?? As long as they can drag all the kids through to the finish line, regardless of whether they've got any knowledge, the school is great, in your opinion. Interesting concept.
Only?
No...but close.
But would you trust a High School with only 93% of its students graduating?

How about Academic High School in Jersey City?
100% graduation.
Now go find something, anything wrong with that school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2007, 09:19 PM

31 posts, read 93,295 times
Consider Fair Haven and Little Silver. EXCELLENT schools. Elementary schools are stellar in both towns. FH kids go to Rumson high school, which is among the very top schools in the whole state! Both towns have a "Mayberry" feel, where kids ride their bikes or walk to school, every kid has a mom or dad there to pick them up every day and a play date with a neighbor any time you want one! Both towns are only about one-two square miles, and less than 10 minutes to the beach.
Prices aren't as cheap as Ocean County, but there are many reasons why people pay more to live in the area!! Super safe, pristine communities, surrounded by water, parks, etc. Right next to Red Bank for tons of restaurants and nightlife. Less than 10 minutes to the commuter train OR to the Ferry for a quick trip to NYC. Check out the school reports, town web sites for more info. I'm a Realtor at the Shore in Monmouth County...let me know if I can help!

Old 10-28-2007, 04:44 PM

3 posts, read 14,852 times
Hi, I live in North Wildwood, NJ. We have a great community year round. Some people believe we roll up the sidewalks, and we let them believe it. We have good schools and lots of shopping close by. If you want additional information, I am a realtor and I can help you. My email is nancy@donmartinrealty.com

Old 10-28-2007, 09:40 PM

109 posts, read 427,164 times
Barnegat Schools rank #2  in the county for highest scores on a standardized test, sorry don't remember which one. we have the highest amount of people and children moving into the district. They are already building a new school and adding onto the ms and hs.

I heard Point had excellant schools, I'm not sure how many kids are in that district.

When I lived up north in a district that had "supreme schools" I found the teachers were less likely to help the students who needed help.

In comparison in Barnegat if a student needs help, and there are some that do, they get the help they need. I mention earlier my daughter was having difficulty in math on a concept (math is so different these days) The teacher invited my daughter and a few students who didn't get it, to stay in with her during lunch. IMO as a parent with 5 children in the district I think the teachers go the extra mile. We get alot for our money, including free camps, which help out working parents. We've had the camps every year for the last 3, or 4. It saves me 2K a year in paying for a camp AND my taxes went down $700.

Old 04-19-2008, 12:38 PM

8 posts, read 28,665 times
I agree that Red Bank would be a great choice- expensive but hey- its Nj its all expensive Nightlife and shopping there are great! I go all the time. Not sure about the public schools but RBC is there and its a great school from what I hear..

We live in Brick and I love it, its a big town with everything u need (unfortunately including traffic) and only 15 min drive to Pt. Pleasant with a great family friendly boardwalk. Toms River would also be a good choice- but its closer to Seaside Beach which is a little sketchy to me.

Belmar is my favorite shore town, the bar life is good, but its a small town.

Old 04-19-2008, 05:08 PM

25 posts, read 78,922 times
If you can afford it I would recomend Spring Lake or Avon by The sea ,nice towns near the Beach and there is Train service to the city

Old 07-28-2008, 05:32 PM

630 posts, read 1,093,712 times
Ocean Grove is great! I have friends who live there and can't say enough good things about it. Of course since its a beach borough it has a small town charm, a main drag business district that is parallel of the ocean and wonderful schools.
Unlike beach towns like Deal or Monmouth and many other overly developed shore point towns, the town is almost mic mansionless. Most houses are 1920s victorians and there are many bed & breakfests, in case you are an out and towner and want to vacation on the jersey shore.
Another great NJ shore town is Avon by the sea and belmar! Great businesses and a good night life (especially belmar)

Old 07-29-2008, 01:40 AM

646 posts, read 2,383,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fischfan13 View Post
And you can only get to college by graduating from High School.

Only?
No...but close.
But would you trust a High School with only 93% of its students graduating?

How about Academic High School in Jersey City?
100% graduation.
Now go find something, anything wrong with that school.

.......pretty sure you can get into college witha G.E.D also.

Old 07-29-2008, 01:42 AM

646 posts, read 2,383,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwesterns45 View Post
Ocean Grove is great! I have friends who live there and can't say enough good things about it. Of course since its a beach borough it has a small town charm, a main drag business district that is parallel of the ocean and wonderful schools.
Unlike beach towns like Deal or Monmouth and many other overly developed shore point towns, the town is almost mic mansionless. Most houses are 1920s victorians and there are many bed & breakfests, in case you are an out and towner and want to vacation on the jersey shore.
Another great NJ shore town is Avon by the sea and belmar! Great businesses and a good night life (especially belmar)
...............Belmar's night life dies after the summer is over

Old 07-29-2008, 07:59 AM

6,271 posts, read 15,512,369 times
What about Red Bank? It's not ON the ocean, but it's very close. It has a vibrant little downtown district. I know nothing about the schools there, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or