U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 07:38 PM

646 posts, read 2,385,789 times

Advertisements

I know it's an old post but I just wanted to add that there are so many nice towns along the new Jersey shore it is hard to chose one.
On the coast
.......SeaGirt,Manasquan,SpringLake,Belmar ,Avon,Rumson, and inland Red bank ,Wall ,Colts Neck,Point Pleasent,Brick,Homdel...etc .I know I missed alot so sorry to anyone but there are a good number.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2008, 08:01 PM

44 posts, read 132,775 times
I'm moving back after growing up in Rumson. Wouldn't move there now, very different dynamics, but in the general area. Spring lake is my all time favorite, my Dad grew up in one of the old homes on Ocean Ave during his summers (He's 76). The home is rebuilt now but using the same lines. I have this urge to knock on the door to see if they need a dog walker!! It will be a year till I can start the overall job & home search. But I'm watching you jersey guys to see what's up!

Steam

Old 08-13-2008, 02:22 AM

1,943 posts, read 6,039,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inksainj View Post
Does any know of a great year-round town on the Jersey Shore? (ex. a nice "main" street with restaurants, shops, nearby Catholic church, etc)

Not to make things more difficult, but we like activty. A quiet/sleepy town would not work for us. Thanks again for your help!
Wow! So, to answer your question . . . and I'll assume you don't have school aged children.

Red Bank is probably as happening as you're going to get.
Fair Haven is OK but doesn't have a big downtown. Ditto Little Silver.
Long Branch is really coming along, especially the area between the train station and West End.

Ocean Grove and Bradley Beach are great, are close to all of the great stuff happening in Asbury Park and don't get too quiet during the winter.

Belmar does quiet down in the winter but that's going to change soon with all that they have planned for Main St and the area around the train station.

Spring Lake is beautiful but it does get really quiet in the winter.

Manasquan is OK. Sort of like Fair Haven.

Point Pleasant works. Stuff to do off of the boardwalk but the traffic does get rough in the summer.

Freehold - maybe 20 minutes from the beach, not great for commuting to North Jersey but has a nice, vibrant downtown

Atlantic Highlands. How could I forget. Not a huge downtown but it has a few neat places.

Old 08-13-2008, 09:14 AM

5,372 posts, read 10,149,120 times
Bay Head is a quiet town with New England style clapboard houses. There downtown consists of 5 stores and a post office and a bank.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or