U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 10:12 PM

2 posts, read 9,415 times

Advertisements

My family and I moved to Metuchen from Long Island about a year and a half ago. We really love the town life (again.. very similar to Babylon on LI) and feel it is a similar lifetyle.

The only thing that makes me a little homesick is the fact that the beach is so far away. We are contemplating looking at moving down the Shore, but we really feel that we're fortunate to have found metuchen with such a nice town life and a vibrant community for kids (we have a 17 month old and a 6 month old)... Does any know of a great year-round town on the Jersey Shore? (ex. a nice "main" street with restaurants, shops, nearby Catholic church, etc)

Not to make things more difficult, but we like activty. A quiet/sleepy town would not work for us. Thanks again for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2007, 11:15 PM

329 posts, read 1,312,349 times
The NJ shore area has a lot of great towns that you would be very happy in raising your family. It encompasses a large region with many such towns. The question to you is how far down the shore do you want to go? Monmouth or Ocean County? Where do you work and what type of a commute would you be willing to do each day? Will you be looking at mass transit? Also, how much home can you afford? There are a lot of realtors on here than can answer some of your questions, I live in Northern Monmouth Cty. and am very happy (Middletown) but maybe you want to go further south? There are a lot of folks that would love to help you.

Old 10-06-2007, 06:46 AM

5,370 posts, read 10,130,590 times
Tina said the right thing, alot of factors come into play. If you move one town away from the beach area the cost of the housing is a lot cheaper than beach towns and you miss alot of the summer traffic.
I myself like Ocean County a little cheaper housing and a little more spread out. That being said the commute to work is longer. The North Jersey corridor train ends at Bay Head for the ride north. The beaches are beautiful and only a mile away from towns such as Point Pleasant, Brick and parts of Toms River. Once you get south of Toms River the commute north is way to long. Good luck with your search. The towns mentioned have excellent schools.

Old 10-08-2007, 12:12 AM
DNJ

54 posts, read 211,098 times
Barnegat in Ocean County has great schools, access to GSP, close to LBI but not in the middle of shore traffic. There is a communtity bay beach, boat ramp to the bay and municipal dock for fishing/crabbing. The recreation dept. sponsors a lot of activities for children and families. There is a lot of new home construction in the area. St. Mary's Catholic Church is a very active parish. A lot of people from Middlesex County have transplanted to Barnegat.

Old 10-16-2007, 08:53 PM

828 posts, read 2,846,007 times
I like the Manasquan, Brielle and Point Pleasant areas. Good schools. Nice shoppes.
I would give the thumbs down to Barneghetto. Bad schools, No direct access to the beach and it is out of the way.

Old 10-16-2007, 08:58 PM

109 posts, read 427,125 times
Default Barnegat has Excellant schools!!!!

You cannot say Barnegat has bad schools, b/c you don't live here. I have 5 children in 4 different schools here and CANNOT say enough about the education they recieve. The teachers REALLLY care about the kids.

When my daughter needed extra help in math the teacher invited her to have LUNCH with her!!!

We have free summer camps 5 days a week run by the teachers.

THe area is building up so much and they are keeping up. THe average class has 18 kids!

Old 10-16-2007, 09:44 PM

2,689 posts, read 2,848,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fischfan13 View Post
I like the Manasquan, Brielle and Point Pleasant areas. Good schools. Nice shoppes.
I would give the thumbs down to Barneghetto. Bad schools, No direct access to the beach and it is out of the way.
good schools? what makes you say that? do you know that 'sqaun HS ranks fairly low? and point's aren't all that much better.

Old 10-16-2007, 11:09 PM

828 posts, read 2,846,007 times
Rankings of High Schools by NJ Monthly...

Ocean County 15 High Schools
1) Pt Pleasant Beach 68th overall in State
2) Pt Pleasant 117th
9) Southern Regional 213th

Monmouth County 25 High Schools
10) Manasquan 108th overall in the State

Southern Regional in near the bottom of the County and in the State.
Point's are #1 and #2 in the County and in the top half of the State
Manasquan is in the top half of Monmouth and the State

Barnegat's avg SAT score is 1002 and only 91% of its HS students get a HS diploma. Two extremely poor numbers.
Sorry if I offended you, but I am only stating facts.

Old 10-17-2007, 07:31 AM

2,689 posts, read 2,848,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fischfan13 View Post
Rankings of High Schools by NJ Monthly...

Ocean County 15 High Schools
1) Pt Pleasant Beach 68th overall in State
2) Pt Pleasant 117th
9) Southern Regional 213th

Monmouth County 25 High Schools
10) Manasquan 108th overall in the State

Southern Regional in near the bottom of the County and in the State.
Point's are #1 and #2 in the County and in the top half of the State
Manasquan is in the top half of Monmouth and the State

Barnegat's avg SAT score is 1002 and only 91% of its HS students get a HS diploma. Two extremely poor numbers.
Sorry if I offended you, but I am only stating facts.

if you're happy with with schools in the lower end of the rankings, great!
pt. beach ranked so high comes as a surprise

Old 10-17-2007, 07:35 AM

168 posts, read 438,852 times
Why would Pt. Beach schools come as a surprise to someone who is speaking as if they know quite a bit about the schools in NJ?
I agree with the poster who said that Barnegat schools are ranked at the bottom of the barrel. Just the facts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or