Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 03:26 PM

9,374 posts, read 20,787,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OysterCatcher View Post
You know with a couple beers in the fridge, I agree the watching flys f. Sounds like a better time to me.

Now, if the activity was salt water fishing in Brielle, then I am all in! Blues, fluke, whiting, etc!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2012, 06:49 PM

1,619 posts, read 3,770,959 times
Just means you are getting older. The beaches are not empty, there are enough people willing to pay, so they might as well charge and have people cover the costs. Here are perfect examples against the case that "the beaches should be free, and they cost of the beaches can be covered by people spending money there." The prices they charged for food and drinks would have to be so high that people would just bring food or go somewhere cheaper (like the person not going to buy fook at jenks)

The beaches get crowded already, just think how bad they would be if they were free? I am sure people would be complaining about the lack of parking and insist that the local towns build parking decks. Everyone thinks someone should pay for things, just not them

Old 09-07-2012, 07:11 PM

9,775 posts, read 15,776,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
i think cape may is free.

you don't understand why people don't drive to LI or NE and shell out $12+ in tolls plus additional gas and time, or go to OBX or the DE for the weekend and pay those tolls and gas instead of driving less and paying a fee to go on the beach?
Cape May is definitely not free - been going there for over 30 years. A lot of beaches on Long Island charge, too.

Old 09-07-2012, 07:26 PM

50,704 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
Cape May is definitely not free - been going there for over 30 years. A lot of beaches on Long Island charge, too.
Not past Labor Day:
"Tags are required between the hours of 10:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m., from Memorial Day in May through Labor Day in September."[LEFT]
[/LEFT]
Jenkinson's is the first I've ever heard of a Jersey beach charging after Labor Day.

Old 09-07-2012, 08:17 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,201,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OysterCatcher View Post
Of course they are not 'superlative' there are better beaches in every ocean front state in the nation. Why they can charge and more importantly why people pay is the alternative (driving to Delaware) is not an option for most people on a day trip. Therefore we all reluctantly pony up the five bucks per person and enjoy a day at the beach.
Unless you're my grandfather, in which case you totally go off on the person demanding beach tags, and he backs away slowly and leaves you alone. Probably can't get away with it unless you're pushing 90 but still have the volume of a 30-year-old :-)

Old 09-07-2012, 08:17 PM

52 posts, read 133,606 times
Just to let all of you know, we were at Pt. Pleasant the weekend before Memorial Day and they were also charging for beach access.

Old 09-08-2012, 02:57 PM

2,731 posts, read 6,115,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Unless you're my grandfather, in which case you totally go off on the person demanding beach tags, and he backs away slowly and leaves you alone. Probably can't get away with it unless you're pushing 90 but still have the volume of a 30-year-old :-)
See - even if I have to pay, someone pushing 90 should be free. Many ski places don't charge people who hit a certain age. If you're still enjoying these things at 80-90 you've done something right and there should be some reward.

Old 09-08-2012, 04:16 PM

303 posts, read 919,724 times
When I was in college in the 80s me and my buddys had a ritual on Sat AM. Every Sat AM we use to drive up to Sandy Hook (gas was $1/gal in pre-Clinton times) to check out the nude beach then we'd eat 50c hot-dogs with chillie and drink Thunderbird all afternoon. By the end of the afternoon were all toasted and we drive back home. Total cost of Sat = $15 or less for 4 guys. In a way were all living the jersey shore lifestyle before it was famouse.

Old 09-10-2012, 06:34 PM

989 posts, read 1,876,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
i think cape may is free.

you don't understand why people don't drive to LI or NE and shell out $12+ in tolls plus additional gas and time, or go to OBX or the DE for the weekend and pay those tolls and gas instead of driving less and paying a fee to go on the beach?

Cape May is not free. I was just there a few weeks ago, and they charge to go on the beach as well.

Old 09-11-2012, 07:40 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,946,672 times
We used to go to LBI every year. The year I turned 65 and went to buy beach passes for the family, I was told that I was entitled to a lifetime free pass. Showed them my driver's license and got my pass on the spot. Strangely, I've only been back to LBI once and it was so cold and rainy that we didn't do more than walk along the beach in sweats and hoodies.! Even the Pass Checkers stayed indoors.

Should the beaches be free? Sure, if you don't need life guards (they aren't volunteers), or trash cans, (or refuse collection trucks to empty them), or the beaches raked every morning, or public rest rooms. Most shore communities have some type of free entertainment weekly and while you don't have to pay, the entertainers would like to receive payment. The couple of dollars you pay for a beach pass helps to pay for your enjoyment of your day at the beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey