Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2012, 07:18 AM

7 posts, read 28,758 times

Advertisements

We are looking for swimming class for our 5 year old girl.
Which facility offers the best swimming class near Ridgewood?
I am aware of the YMCAs in Ridgewood and Wyckoff. Are these good?
Any other facilities?
Thanks a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2012, 07:34 AM

291 posts, read 975,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FINCHCMS View Post
We are looking for swimming class for our 5 year old girl.
Which facility offers the best swimming class near Ridgewood?
I am aware of the YMCAs in Ridgewood and Wyckoff. Are these good?
Any other facilities?
Thanks a lot.
Not sure about the Ridgewood Y, but my son (who's 3) took group lessons at the Wyckoff Y, and they were just OK. I have some friends with kids aged 2-6 who thought the same thing about their group lessons--not terrible, but not great. They also have large classes, in my experience. That said, I do know 2 people who have taken private lessons there, and been happier, so I'd definitely go that route if you end up at the Wyckoff Y. (I think the best instructors tend to stick to teaching private lessons.)

A few people have also recommended Elite Gymnastics in Hawthorne, and I'll be taking DS there for lessons starting in October. Their pool is smaller (I'm told it's more like a backyard pool than the Olympic-sized ones at the Y), but my niece and a friend's daughter have both had good experiences learning to swim there.

Old 09-07-2012, 01:47 PM

86 posts, read 289,139 times
I would highly recommend the Ridgewood Y...my son has taken swimming lessons there for the past 4 years and they are thorough. Very good instructors. He had been previously taking lessons at a Y in Union County and when we moved and joined this Y he had to be dropped several levels because they are so strict with the techniques.

Old 09-07-2012, 02:08 PM

513 posts, read 1,164,487 times
My daughter also took lessons at the Ridgewood Y. The are very specific with technique and they were also supportive (she was initially afraid of the water 'cause she had breathing issues). They also called me if there were any concerns.

Old 09-08-2012, 08:06 PM

667 posts, read 1,741,071 times
FINCH. Swimming is a life skill so KUDOS for wanting your kids to be the next Phelps. We have 3 kids and started the whole swimming thing when they were babies. Our oldest who is now 7 FINALLY got it down this summer and now loves it. My 2.5 yr old hates just getting wet. And we've done tons of lessons. We keep them swimming throughout the year but they will only really swim when they are ready. I see some 4-5 yr olds in the pool at times that are amazing at their skills and see 7-8 yr olds that have parents still helping them. For us the best experience has been the summer Red Rross program in Glen Rock (about $25-$30 for :30hr but one one one). We are doing the Y in RW this Fall for our 7 and 5 yr old to keep up their form. But I hear the Wyckoff Y program is best.

Old 09-08-2012, 10:45 PM

88,273 posts, read 84,241,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyjersey View Post
Not sure about the Ridgewood Y, but my son (who's 3) took group lessons at the Wyckoff Y, and they were just OK. I have some friends with kids aged 2-6 who thought the same thing about their group lessons--not terrible, but not great. They also have large classes, in my experience. That said, I do know 2 people who have taken private lessons there, and been happier, so I'd definitely go that route if you end up at the Wyckoff Y. (I think the best instructors tend to stick to teaching private lessons.)

A few people have also recommended Elite Gymnastics in Hawthorne, and I'll be taking DS there for lessons starting in October. Their pool is smaller (I'm told it's more like a backyard pool than the Olympic-sized ones at the Y), but my niece and a friend's daughter have both had good experiences learning to swim there.
Aw, that brought back memories! When my daughter was a little girl, she attended a few birthday parties there. Forgot about that place.

Old 10-01-2012, 09:45 PM

1 posts, read 2,446 times
hi, which one to go?..the ywca or ymca for the swimming lessons?..it is very confusing..please help..i have a 7 and 5yr old
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey