Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 10:22 AM

11,345 posts, read 16,705,526 times

Advertisements

Here's another thread on Oxford and somehow I was able to verify in 2007 that the picture is from 2003.

I also found a post of mine there and as stated a Spanish friend of mine was afraid to visit her. Therefore she moved.

If that picture is truly from 2003, then Oxford would be off my list of potential homes to buy.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/new-j...elocating.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2012, 10:26 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,389,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
I've seen that picture before but hardly doubt as it looks to new to be from the 1920's.
You have to read the smiley's.

Old 09-10-2012, 10:26 AM

293 posts, read 720,087 times
I don't know much about KKK in Oxford, N.J. I do know, however, that its antithesis, the new black panthers, are present and well orginized in Newark, N.J. Two horrible groups on the opposite side of the spectrum. The messed up part about the Black Panthers is that this is not the 1920's though..

New Black Panther Party (NBPP) - CBPM

Old 09-10-2012, 11:09 AM

2,734 posts, read 4,150,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Yes, in the '20s NJ had perhaps the largest KKK membership of any northern state.

A piece of history that one of our local church groups would like us to forget is the extremely close connection between the Pillar of Fire Church (located in the Zarephath section of Franklin Twp) and the KKK. The church's bishop, Alma White, used to preach from the pulpit (and via their radio stations) about the need for white folks to support and to join the KKK in order to "preserve the white race". She was also known for active discrimination against Catholics and Jews.

I am not suggesting that this religious group has current ties to The KKK, but they seem to conveniently gloss over this disgraceful part of their history.
Yes, they claim to have repudiated the allegiance to the KKK, but I wouldn't trust them. Sick puppies, indeed.

Pillar of Fire International - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

They ran the Somerset Christian College in Zarapeth until 2011 when it was destroyed by Hurricane Irene and now the classes are run in a church in Warren, NJ.

Somerset Christian College - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-10-2012, 11:12 AM

91 posts, read 577,130 times
I wouldn't worry about the citys past.If you want to live there,go for it.America belongs to all of us.

Old 09-10-2012, 11:16 AM

91 posts, read 577,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Guitar View Post
I don't know much about KKK in Oxford, N.J. I do know, however, that its antithesis, the new black panthers, are present and well orginized in Newark, N.J. Two horrible groups on the opposite side of the spectrum. The messed up part about the Black Panthers is that this is not the 1920's though..

New Black Panther Party (NBPP) - CBPM
didn't know this.As Rodney King SAID,"Can't we all just get along ?"I know the black panthers existed in the 70s to combat racism toward blacks but is there really a need for them today?

Old 09-10-2012, 11:19 AM

19,126 posts, read 25,331,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJerseyMemories View Post
They ran the Somerset Christian College in Zarapeth until 2011 when it was destroyed by Hurricane Irene and now the classes are run in a church in Warren, NJ.

Some might say that this was divine judgment as a result of their earlier actions...

Old 09-10-2012, 11:21 AM

2,734 posts, read 4,150,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Some might say that this was divine judgment as a result of their earlier actions...
That's exactly what I was thinking!

Old 09-10-2012, 06:51 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diaperpins View Post
didn't know this.As Rodney King SAID,"Can't we all just get along ?"I know the black panthers existed in the 70s to combat racism toward blacks but is there really a need for them today?
Not the same bunch. The original Panthers were fighting against racism and police brutality and for economic empowerment and justice. These NBPPs are a bunch of racist idiots. Even the few old Panthers who can be dredged up distance themselves from this bunch.

There is nothing positive about KKK today or any other era.

Old 09-10-2012, 08:20 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,076,477 times
It was a bit of culture shock moving from North Jersey to Middlesex County, where you WILL see confederate flags in the back windows of pickup trucks from time to time and occasionally (I recall one in Englishtown) hanging from a porch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey