Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 01:17 AM

2 posts, read 3,794 times

Advertisements

I find the comments that the stereotypes are true to be very strange. I am especially confused by the one that says " Most people that I have come across in NJ have a horrible command of English (I seen you guys - I must hear this phrase hundreds of times in a week). The Jersey accent is awful second only to the Boston accent. And then there is all the trash thrown on the streets, in the streams, and out car windows on the highway. This gives you a good sense of what our state is all about. The graffiti here is also like no place I have ever seen. How do they get graffiti on the overpass near Maplewood going over I-78??? God bless their ingenuity!" I lived in NJ from when I was born until I left for college and I have never heard a single person say "I seen you guys" or anything along that line. I've never met anyone with the stereotypical "Jersey" accent, and no one at my college seems to think I have a noticeable accent of any sort. I also never noticed anyone around me in NJ speaking in a significantly different manner than I do. The area I lived in was not very full of liter and I almost never saw graffiti. I know there are a few areas in NJ that smell bad, but most I've been in smell very nice (it is the garden state). Houses were I lived had large yards to play in and there were even some farms nearby. I really loved it as a child. For me it has always been a very nice area to live in (accept for the high living cost).

Last edited by kioku; 07-26-2013 at 01:27 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2013, 09:04 AM

1 posts, read 1,195 times
From NJ myself. The drivers are disdainfully bad- Borderline retarded. Some won't even signal over boulevards. As for the rudeness, quite. Many children in NJ have no identity and have bad parents, I know first hand. NJ is for the NY trash that can't afford NY. I have been to ALOT of very amazing places NJ, such as the mansions and botanical gardens (such bliss), but you won't find your average ignorant pop loving NJ'an there. Also, people are cynically pessimistic. Only the nerds here have hope, the rest don't care about life. They just exist.
As for why I'm so cynical; I went to a private school after 8 years in public school. I saw how much attention-mongers and insecure people there were. When I upgraded to high school, my childish ambition to create things didn't die, but the atmospheric support did. So I became very manipulative after acknowledging that most of the people I would come in contact are do-nothings. As for the tourists, unless you are open-minded, then people will be rude to you. They are so insecure, the slightest imperfection will peeve them.

Old 11-27-2013, 09:03 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,990,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewLife View Post
From NJ myself. The drivers are disdainfully bad- Borderline retarded. Some won't even signal over boulevards. As for the rudeness, quite. Many children in NJ have no identity and have bad parents, I know first hand. NJ is for the NY trash that can't afford NY. I have been to ALOT of very amazing places NJ, such as the mansions and botanical gardens (such bliss), but you won't find your average ignorant pop loving NJ'an there. Also, people are cynically pessimistic. Only the nerds here have hope, the rest don't care about life. They just exist.
As for why I'm so cynical; I went to a private school after 8 years in public school. I saw how much attention-mongers and insecure people there were. When I upgraded to high school, my childish ambition to create things didn't die, but the atmospheric support did. So I became very manipulative after acknowledging that most of the people I would come in contact are do-nothings. As for the tourists, unless you are open-minded, then people will be rude to you. They are so insecure, the slightest imperfection will peeve them.
Most people I know do not fit your descriptions at all but I can't argue with your opinion.

Also, while many New Yorkers move to NJ, I would think the majority of New Jerseyans are lifelong residents or transplants from elsewhere. To say NJ is only for NY trash who can't afford NY is misleading and quite an insult to NJ, for a few reasons.

Old 11-30-2013, 09:49 AM

2,098 posts, read 3,525,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Most people I know do not fit your descriptions at all but I can't argue with your opinion.

Also, while many New Yorkers move to NJ, I would think the majority of New Jerseyans are lifelong residents or transplants from elsewhere. To say NJ is only for NY trash who can't afford NY is misleading and quite an insult to NJ, for a few reasons.
He's right about NJers being cynically pessimistic -- I'd also like to add in oftentimes many are walking contradictions.

Old 11-30-2013, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshflakes757 View Post
He's right about NJers being cynically pessimistic -- I'd also like to add in oftentimes many are walking contradictions.
Again, I disagree. Definitely not all. Actually, that poster is the most cynical I've seen, to be honest - he (?) even admits he's cynical. I'm not like that, for one.

Old 11-30-2013, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshflakes757 View Post
Again, I disagree. Definitely not all. Actually, that poster is the most cynical I've seen, to be honest - he (?) even admits he's cynical. I'm not like that, for one.

Most kids in NJ don't have an identity and have bad parents? Bit harsh. NJ has a lot of educated, wealthier people. Our schools for the most part are excellent and kids are often involved in sports or other activities. I really disagree with what was said in that post. While it applies to some, definitely not all and definitely not the majority.

Old 12-01-2013, 06:57 PM

989 posts, read 1,877,294 times
The vulgar stereotypes generated from the Guidoization of NJ drives me nuts. I blame this on TV shows depicting NJ in such a cartoonish way, which appeals to the lowest common denominator. Why Italian-Americans in NJ are not up in arms is a wonder to me.

1. The Sopranos
2. Jersey Shore
3. Jerseyliscous
4. Real Housewives of New Jersey
5. Cake Boss

Last edited by izannimda; 12-01-2013 at 07:34 PM..

Old 12-05-2013, 12:48 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,525,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post

I don't agree with him about NJ being a poor man's NY. That point makes absolutely no sense.

I do think NJ people have major anxiety and attitude problems -- for whatever reason. Both these traits are well-documented on all the reality TV shows.

And I hate the NJ accent too. It's goofy and words are often slurred.

Old 12-13-2013, 01:20 PM

1,846 posts, read 2,044,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by izannimda View Post
The vulgar stereotypes generated from the Guidoization of NJ drives me nuts. I blame this on TV shows depicting NJ in such a cartoonish way, which appeals to the lowest common denominator. Why Italian-Americans in NJ are not up in arms is a wonder to me.

1. The Sopranos
2. Jersey Shore
3. Jerseyliscous
4. Real Housewives of New Jersey
5. Cake Boss
What was wrong with Sopranos? I like that they actually filmed the damn thing in Jersey and made NJ references all the time.

Jersey Shore on the other hand I agree with you... MTV should be burned to the ground for that piece of ****.

Old 12-15-2013, 08:13 AM

11,879 posts, read 14,208,559 times
The fact that people refer to us as a trash dumping state for NY annoys the heck out of me .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey