Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 06:54 AM

1,787 posts, read 5,745,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
This sounds logical, but no, not really. If you choose by doctor you are locked into hospitals (usually) that he or she has privileges in. These may or may not have state of the art equipment, a great staff, etc.

The best hospitals, usually teaching hospitals, attract the best doctors from the best schools.

I have heard that once you are under care of one institution, another will sometimes not treat you. The initial decision you make regarding who you want for your health care (at least for cancer treatment) is often the one you are stuck with.

I would not think that I could go to someplace local for cancer treatment and if I did not like them I could easily transfer to someplace like Sloan.

I always, for any treatment, choose the hospital first and then go down their list of affiliated doctors.

I know your tumor is benign, but if anyone does have cancer, Anderson (in Texas) and Sloan are the best.
For me, I'm going with what sounds logical. I'll go with the best doctor first. Just because you have a good hospital doesn't guarantee a good doctor either. You really need to check both doctor and hospital, not just one aspect.

Also, I know more people that have survived cancer/treatments from local hospitals than from the "best" hospitals. That gave me something to think about. I wish I didn't even have to say I knew anyone that had cancer...why isn't there a cure already?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2012, 07:05 AM

154 posts, read 666,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
Going by reputation alone, Sloan-Kettering is tops in the region. Good luck.
My understanding is that MSK only accepts confirmed cancer patients. If i were you, I would make the effort to see several surgens and pick the one you are comfortable with then go to his/hers hospital. Best of luck.

Old 09-20-2012, 06:13 PM

1,646 posts, read 2,779,329 times
I have no advise for you, but wish you well. I can only imagine how scary this must be for you.

Old 09-21-2012, 09:12 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,807,339 times
My cousin who is a neurosurgeon had my father consult with Dr. Chandranath Sen. He's at NYU now. Google him.

Old 09-22-2012, 04:03 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,966,003 times
Folks, maybe I'm getting something wrong here, but the initial post said the tumor is benign, that is, not malignant, meaning no cancer. That's something positive.

Old 09-22-2012, 06:07 AM

The space inside the skull is limited.

If there is something growing inside the skull that is not suppose to be there then "something has got to give" eventually.
It doesn't matter whether this foreign object is benign or malignant.

Whether something has to be done sooner or later depends on the growth rate of this foreign object.

Old 09-22-2012, 06:13 AM

551 posts, read 1,187,478 times
I am in Healthcare; my recommendation would be to go to whichever is closer - and accessible to you for many follow ups after initial one - Hackensack OR Sloan. Both are great. But do it fast!

Old 09-22-2012, 06:16 AM

I would choose the best doctor. You want someone with a lot of experience with brain tumors and specifically with the type that the OP has.

Old 09-22-2012, 12:00 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,966,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ieee488 View Post
I would choose the best doctor. You want someone with a lot of experience with brain tumors and specifically with the type that the OP has.
How does the OP find the best doctor? Where does the average person find the criteria to make such an assessment on his own?

Old 09-22-2012, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
How does the OP find the best doctor? Where does the average person find the criteria to make such an assessment on his own?
As I wrote in my first post on this subject, my cousin, a neurosurgeon in the NYC area, recommended Dr. Sen to us. When you Google on Dr. Chandrandrath Sen you'll see he is VERY respected.
Three World-Renowned Neurosurgeons Join Faculty At NYU Langone Medical Center | The Office of Communications & Public Affairs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey