Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2012, 11:11 AM

23 posts, read 41,499 times

Advertisements

how is this area. My sister is looking to move to Vroom St. He needs a car so parking is critical. Is it considered a safe area particularly at night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2012, 11:33 AM

7,055 posts, read 19,303,947 times
Is it safe? Eh, it's not gang wars and needles in the streets, but it is a bit seedy at night, especially east of Bergen Ave.

Parking? Unless you can find a place with off-street parking (rare), street parking will be difficult, especially in the evening hours. You'll have to get a Zone 2 resident parking permit ($15/year) to park on streets in this area.

Old 09-22-2012, 04:20 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,128,287 times
That's a funny name for a street. Just sayin'.....

Old 09-22-2012, 04:43 PM

19,125 posts, read 25,323,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
That's a funny name for a street. Just sayin'.....
What might be "a funny name" for you is a historical reference for other folks, like me.

Peter Dumont Vroom, for whom the street is named, was a NJ Assemblyman, a 2-term governor of our state, and a member of the US Congress.

One of Mr. Vroom's signature achievements as governor was his support for the building of the Delaware & Raritan Canal, which transformed the economy of Central NJ, and which allowed coal and other goods to be readily transported from Pennsylvania to NJ and NY. Today, the canal serves as the source of much of the drinking water for Central NJ, and it is an outstanding facility for recreation.

When I walk along the pristine pathway bordering the D & R Canal, I am frequently reminded of the progressive thinking of Peter Dumont Vroom.
Governor Vroom was...so much more than "a funny name".

Old 09-22-2012, 05:15 PM

303 posts, read 919,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
What might be "a funny name" for you is a historical reference for other folks, like me.

Peter Dumont Vroom, for whom the street is named, was a NJ Assemblyman, a 2-term governor of our state, and a member of the US Congress.

One of Mr. Vroom's signature achievements as governor was his support for the building of the Delaware & Raritan Canal, which transformed the economy of Central NJ, and which allowed coal and other goods to be readily transported from Pennsylvania to NJ and NY. Today, the canal serves as the source of much of the drinking water for Central NJ, and it is an outstanding facility for recreation.

When I walk along the pristine pathway bordering the D & R Canal, I am frequently reminded of the progressive thinking of Peter Dumont Vroom.
Governor Vroom was...so much more than "a funny name".

Yeah I relly see a lot of cargo moving down that canal - Vroom sounds like a typical guy willing to spend other peoples money to build a bridge to nowhere type bondongle.

Old 09-22-2012, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterPickle View Post

Yeah I relly see a lot of cargo moving down that canal - Vroom sounds like a typical guy willing to spend other peoples money to build a bridge to nowhere type bondongle.

I should not try to educate someone who is totally ignorant of what he is bloviating about, but in this case, I will attempt to provide some of the education that you are lacking.

First, you should read some of the history of Governor Vroom, paying special attention to the time period when the canal was built.

I will actually make it much easier for you, by pointing out that the canal opened to commerce in 1834. For approximately 100 years, it was a significant part of the economy of Central NJ, by allowing both farmers and manufacturers to cheaply and easily transport their goods to NYC.

It also allowed cheap coal from PA to be transported to NJ and to NY. And, since the canal was built by a private company with no public financing, none of "other people's money" was spent on a "bondongle" (SIC). This was an early example of government allowing private capital to build a project that produced a benefit for both the citizens and the stockholders of the company that built it.

During WW II, the US Navy used the canal to quietly transport PT boats and Mine Sweepers from the Philadelphia area to the NYC area, without exposing the movement of this materiel to prying eyes that might have been spying for the Axis powers. Later, after the canal had served its original transport purpose for over 100 years, it began to be utilized as the source of drinking water for much of Central NJ. Today, in addition to its role as a source of water, it is a state park, a wildlife sanctuary, and an incredible recreation resource.

Why do you continue to humiliate yourself by commenting on things about which you know NOTHING, and to make those comments in language that is barely understandable to those of us who speak and write in standard English?

Old 09-23-2012, 06:39 AM

303 posts, read 919,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post

I should not try to educate someone who is totally ignorant of what he is bloviating about, but in this case, I will attempt to provide some of the education that you are lacking.

First, you should read some of the history of Governor Vroom, paying special attention to the time period when the canal was built.

I will actually make it much easier for you, by pointing out that the canal opened to commerce in 1834. For approximately 100 years, it was a significant part of the economy of Central NJ, by allowing both farmers and manufacturers to cheaply and easily transport their goods to NYC.

It also allowed cheap coal from PA to be transported to NJ and to NY. And, since the canal was built by a private company with no public financing, none of "other people's money" was spent on a "bondongle" (SIC). This was an early example of government allowing private capital to build a project that produced a benefit for both the citizens and the stockholders of the company that built it.

During WW II, the US Navy used the canal to quietly transport PT boats and Mine Sweepers from the Philadelphia area to the NYC area, without exposing the movement of this materiel to prying eyes that might have been spying for the Axis powers. Later, after the canal had served its original transport purpose for over 100 years, it began to be utilized as the source of drinking water for much of Central NJ. Today, in addition to its role as a source of water, it is a state park, a wildlife sanctuary, and an incredible recreation resource.

Why do you continue to humiliate yourself by commenting on things about which you know NOTHING, and to make those comments in language that is barely understandable to those of us who speak and write in standard English?
Alright thats fine then no disrespect to this Vroom intended, but frankly speaking u shouldve have put all the relvant info in the original post.

Old 09-23-2012, 06:41 AM

551 posts, read 1,187,961 times
No, do not move there. Not recommended.

Old 09-23-2012, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterPickle View Post
Alright thats fine then no disrespect to this Vroom intended, but frankly speaking u shouldve have put all the relvant info in the original post.
So, then it's my fault that you jumped into an issue about which you know nothing?
That is quite a "victim mentality" that you harbor.

Next time, perhaps you should actually do a bit of research into an issue before making assumptions that are just plain wrong, and that make you look extremely foolish.

But, in any event, I accept your abject apology.

Last edited by Retriever; 09-23-2012 at 07:26 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey