U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 12:31 AM

1,106 posts, read 4,367,085 times

Advertisements

JStar41, I know you are very high on Elizabeth. There is a lot to like. Multi-cultural, good restaurants but as a parent I like to add my 2 cents about schools. The New schools in Elizabeth look pretty but they aren't where I would want to send my child. I worked at one and I'm not an advocate of pre-K thru 8 schools. I saw a lot of young kids exposed to a lot of bad behavior by the older kids that they wouldn't see in a regular elementary school. Also, the new schools are lottery schools so that not everyone gets in. Finally, the uniforms...I love the idea. Great equalizing effect however people in district get 3 free uniforms and most don't bother to buy any more than that. Half-way through the school year the class smelled and the uniforms were filthy. BUT you are right they have free pre-k and in general the teachers provide quality education. This past year the 4th grade in the school I'm in out-performed a Livingston school on the math NJ ASK standardized test...but I digress. They also have the largest High School in the country...not something to brag about when 2 or 3 different classes are going on in the same room. You are right, we all have our different points of view. I'm a pretty open minded person. I like diversity but I still wouldn't pay $475 for a house in Elizabeth...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2007, 02:32 AM

2,093 posts, read 4,872,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomeslim View Post
Wow I totally forgot about Penn Station, which is 2 blocks from my work. So i really don't mind getting a train that would stop there. I just don't want to spend 1h 1/2 hour inside the train.

About city life, we would like to be able to walk to get a cup of coffee or a bagel. I'm not looking for bars, restaurants, noise, etc. Just don't want to have to jump on the car to do every single thing.
All those area's i mentioned are 1 hr or less into penn sta
and in most you would only have to jump in the car to do your major shopping at a large supermarket

Old 10-08-2007, 10:02 AM

4 posts, read 7,895 times
thx for the replies guys.

Now that I know everything about Elizabeth does anyone have any other suggestion? What you guys think about Cranford or Union?

Old 10-08-2007, 10:15 AM

562 posts, read 2,375,039 times
Cranford is excellent but too costly.. if you can get something affordable in Cranford go for it!!.. Union is ok too.. but no where close to cranford..

Old 10-08-2007, 03:30 PM

131 posts, read 520,588 times
In Union you are going to see a lot of Portugese and Brazilian people so you may consider Union for this reason and you can get a very nice house up to 500k

Old 10-09-2007, 03:03 PM

56 posts, read 262,404 times
Default Check out Essex County

You haven't heard of the Park Slope-Montclair connection? There's tons of slopers here...myself included...who find that Montclair, Verona, Bloomfield, Glen Ridge, West Orange is like Park Slope West! Seriously, we are commutable to NYC - PATH via the light rail. These towns, although obviously suburban have a real pulse and terrific amenities; theatre, art, restaurants, music. It's really why many of us ended up here. For me, it's Park Slope only greener and more user friendly, especially with kids. I work with alot of Park Slope folks who are considering a move to NJ (I'm a local realtor) and provide an expenses paid limo, tour and lunch of the area to slopers considering Essex County towns. Feel free to email me. Good luck, it's hard making the decision but once you embrace the option, it's rather lovely here in NJ! Elaine
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or