U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 02:33 PM

4 posts, read 7,892 times

Advertisements

I'm pretty sure someone already posted something like that, but I couldn't find. So here it goes again.

Our family lives in Park Slope in a 3 bdroom 1200 sq feet apartment. Is a amazing place, but we pay rent. And the rent is not cheap.

I got transfered to the US last year from Brazil and since we had no credit history or greencard yet we had to rent.

Now we decided to buy a place but Park Slope (even though we love the area) got too expensive for us.

We are thinking about spending 450k or 500k. And a lot of my friends at work told me that in New Jersey I could find a good home for the money.

We are looking for a place that is easy to commute to NYC via Path (I work on 34th street) and that is safe. Also we would like a place where there is a lot of houses on the street and not just a couple with huge backyards.

Some friends mentioned Cranford and Union for me, anyone have any other suggestion?

Thx

Last edited by gomeslim; 10-06-2007 at 03:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2007, 02:42 PM

2,541 posts, read 10,193,449 times
Would you consider staying in NYC if the rent was cheaper, some places are still cheaper, like the bronx, or even Ridgewood, maspeth, middle village in Queens

Old 10-06-2007, 03:42 PM

No, we are looking to buy something. Thx for the reply tho.

Old 10-06-2007, 07:40 PM

687 posts, read 2,911,953 times
If you want the PATH, then you'll want Jersey City or Hoboken, I'd think, right? If you're willing to take NJ Transit and switch, the you have many more options. What kind of place are you looking for? If you provide a little more info., then I'm sure posters can help you out.

Old 10-06-2007, 08:03 PM

1,106 posts, read 4,366,212 times
You could certainly consider a lot of places along NJ Transit with trains directly into Penn Station and wouldn't have to switch to Path. I happen to personally like Cranford and if I were to move back to that area of NJ that would be my choice. Maplewood and South Orange may also be considerations. They both have train stations. The taxes are very high but there are a lot of transplanted New Yorkers and a very diverse community. I'm not sure what the current market is so I'm not sure how far your budget will get you in those two towns. west Orange could also be a consideration. They don't have a train station but I think they have a Jittney bus that picks up and drops off at one of the nearby train stations so you don't have to try to find parking.

Old 10-07-2007, 04:59 AM

2,093 posts, read 4,870,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomeslim View Post
I'm pretty sure someone already posted something like that, but I couldn't find. So here it goes again.

Our family lives in Park Slope in a 3 bdroom 1200 sq feet apartment. Is a amazing place, but we pay rent. And the rent is not cheap.

I got transfered to the US last year from Brazil and since we had no credit history or greencard yet we had to rent.

Now we decided to buy a place but Park Slope (even though we love the area) got too expensive for us.

We are thinking about spending 450k or 500k. And a lot of my friends at work told me that in New Jersey I could find a good home for the money.

We are looking for a place that is easy to commute to NYC via Path (I work on 34th street) and that is safe. Also we would like a place where there is a lot of houses on the street and not just a couple with huge backyards.

Some friends mentioned Cranford and Union for me, anyone have any other suggestion?

Thx

Like Hrjersey said
you can look somewhere along the nj transit line

maybe South amboy, colonia ,edison,metcuhan,woodbrige ,clark,cranford,rahway,linden and certain parts of elizabeth all have nice areas and you could easily get the train into the city ...It would all depend on how much city life you would like

Old 10-07-2007, 08:36 AM

Wow I totally forgot about Penn Station, which is 2 blocks from my work. So i really don't mind getting a train that would stop there. I just don't want to spend 1h 1/2 hour inside the train.

About city life, we would like to be able to walk to get a cup of coffee or a bagel. I'm not looking for bars, restaurants, noise, etc. Just don't want to have to jump on the car to do every single thing.

Old 10-07-2007, 04:14 PM

562 posts, read 2,374,672 times
you can find very nice homes in ELMORA HILLS, in Elizabeth.. the location is about 14 miles from NYC.. the neighborhood is the best in Elizabeth but yet you can walk to Elmora Ave and have coffee.. most restaurants/bakeries/deli's are opened to 11pm-12am.. the train station is a few mins away and there is also bus lines (113, 112) in the area..

"Also we would like a place where there is a lot of houses on the street and not just a couple with huge backyards."
you can look in Elmora section.. it's next to Elmora Hills.. you'll find what you are describing.. the good thing about this neighborhood is that it's around elmora ave, you'll find anything you'll need there.. it's within walking distance to train station that will take you to Penn station in about 25 mins.. there is many new construction houses here.. there lot's of 2 family homes but some are 1 family..

if you are interested, my builder is selling a single family house.. I personally went to see it and it's beautifull.. he had it listed for 525k, but he just took it off the market to sell it privately.. i think he is looking for 475k.. it has all upgraded appliances, granite countertop, select hardwood floors.. I can put you in contact with him.. I'm building my primarily residenece a block away from his property.. btw: his new construction qualifies for tax abatement for 5 years..

Old 10-07-2007, 07:20 PM

1,106 posts, read 4,366,212 times
Comment on Elizabeth... If you have kids you might want to take a closer look at the middle and high schools in Elizabeth. If you don't have kids then parts of Elizabeth can be decent although I wouldn't spend $475K for a house there. I do know you can get some great apartment deals. I'm a teacher in Elizabeth and I wouldn't have a problem sending my kids to SOME of the Elementary schools but it would end there. The teachers are really terrific and try hard but there are just some things that we have yet to be able to overcome as the kids get older.

Old 10-07-2007, 08:33 PM

562 posts, read 2,374,672 times
since you are a teacher you must know that ELizabeth offers many after school programs and many other FREE services like free pre-k.. the new schools under construction and enforcement of strict rules.. ie school uniforms, etc.. one of the problem with Elizabeth is the CITY's population.. which is why on the past 2 years 5 new schools were built.. and if i'm not mistaking Elizabeth High School is the largest HS in the east coast or maybe nationwide.. not?
IMO (being an investor/ home owner in Elizabeth) 475K on a NEW CONSTRUCTION w/ all upgrades is not bad, specially in Elmora neighborhood.. but again everyone has different points of view..

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrjersey View Post
Comment on Elizabeth... If you have kids you might want to take a closer look at the middle and high schools in Elizabeth. If you don't have kids then parts of Elizabeth can be decent although I wouldn't spend $475K for a house there. I do know you can get some great apartment deals. I'm a teacher in Elizabeth and I wouldn't have a problem sending my kids to SOME of the Elementary schools but it would end there. The teachers are really terrific and try hard but there are just some things that we have yet to be able to overcome as the kids get older.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or