U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 01:36 PM

625 posts, read 3,262,392 times

Advertisements

Thank you
Thank you. Well I must tell you after graduation it was rough. I was used to working and prior to graduation I had applied and interviewed at numerous retail places in NJ. Liz Claiborne, United Retail, and in the city Jones NY. I had always wanted to do editorial and I actually got lucky and became a floater at HFM and worked at Elle Magazine and Womans Day. Woman’s Day is a great place to work because it is so laid back but you know most jobs are who you know and who can get you in and honestly as an African American female you will be longing for someone to relate to. I decided the commute to the city was driving me bananas plus I got really sick and had to be hospitalized which only added to my misery of taking the bus then the subway. I started doing temp work just to make money and now I am at a large home furnishings retailer working in Media. My advise would be there is no set path to get to where you want to be. I am planning on moving to ATL and honestly I want to get back into editorial and be able to show my writing skills and eye for what’s hot. Just hold your head high and go out there and do what you set your sights on doing. If you find yourself being an Administrative Assistant at a pie factory just use that to make money and gain whatever experience you can while you area still pursuing your goal. I don’t have any children so it is fine for me to work temp and not have to deal with having benefits (although I got so used to having them I actually miss them!!!) but take something temporary so there is no real commitment and whatever you do “Don’t Feel Like You Are Stuck”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2007, 01:41 PM

Oh yeah. I forgot to mention don't wait for an opening at the company that suits what you are looking for. If you see a posting and it has someone in human resources email address, send them your resume and just state that you wanted them to have it in case a suitable position opened up. Alot of times they will call you because they have something they think you may be interested in.

Old 10-11-2007, 04:00 PM

1,271 posts, read 3,585,112 times
OMG!! bless you!

Your best friend "IN MY HEAD"

I am temping right now because of the whole commitment thing. I can't be as acessible as some employers would like because I am trying to finish school at my age (31), I know what I want to do with my life and I refuse to let anything hinder or stop me. We have to pay for private insurance though, thank God for the temp job or I wouldn't be able to afford it.

Thank you so much for the advice! It truly meant a lot to me for your to respond with all that much needed encouragement.

Gotta go for now but I'll talk to ya soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by neekah18 View Post
Oh yeah. I forgot to mention don't wait for an opening at the company that suits what you are looking for. If you see a posting and it has someone in human resources email address, send them your resume and just state that you wanted them to have it in case a suitable position opened up. Alot of times they will call you because they have something they think you may be interested in.

Old 10-12-2007, 01:31 PM

Age does not matter. I should also mention that you can major in anything business related and just take a few fashion courses. You don't have to limit yourself to majoring in fashion. Luckily I couldn't decide what I wanted to major in so I took courses in Marketing, International Business, and then Fashion. You would be surprised how many people in fashion didn't go to school for fashion.

Old 10-12-2007, 01:48 PM

Well see I want to do design.....now I am dedicated to learning more of the business/marketing side so that I can properly market my creations. I am really interested in seeing what the East Coast can offer me.

Quote:
Age does not matter. I should also mention that you can major in anything business related and just take a few fashion courses. You don't have to limit yourself to majoring in fashion. Luckily I couldn't decide what I wanted to major in so I took courses in Marketing, International Business, and then Fashion. You would be surprised how many people in fashion didn't go to school for fashion.

Old 10-12-2007, 02:36 PM

Well there are a lot of design and fashion jobs in NY/NJ. There is a lot of competition though but I am sure you will stand out. GOOD LUCK!!!!

Old 10-12-2007, 02:44 PM

Thank you........One last question though. Do you see a lot of Plus Size designers out there?

Quote:
Well there are a lot of design and fashion jobs in NY/NJ. There is a lot of competition though but I am sure you will stand out. GOOD LUCK!!!!

Old 10-13-2007, 10:49 AM

No. And as a plus sized woman myself we are in the minority. The gym and liquid lunches are their best friend and I must say that you have to confidence in yourself and a thick skin to make it. Also it doesn't hurt to be trendy or atleast have your own "fashionable" style. Keep a portfolio of your work even if they don't ask for it, it will look great when you bring it to interviews to show you are prepared.

Old 10-15-2007, 10:19 AM

Default Thank you again

Thank you again for your advice.

You have truly been informative and I really did appreciate what you had to say.

Quote:
No. And as a plus sized woman myself we are in the minority. The gym and liquid lunches are their best friend and I must say that you have to confidence in yourself and a thick skin to make it. Also it doesn't hurt to be trendy or atleast have your own "fashionable" style. Keep a portfolio of your work even if they don't ask for it, it will look great when you bring it to interviews to show you are prepared.

Old 10-16-2007, 08:56 AM

No problem. Good Luck!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or