U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-06-2007, 05:11 PM
 
1,271 posts, read 3,584,748 times
Reputation: 581

Advertisements

Ok I tried the West Coast now I need the East Coast to chime in.


I am a Fashion major from Texas (by way of Milwaukee). I graduate in October 2008, but because I two teens who will be in school, I decided to wait until end of school May 2009. I have been looking at FIDM, American Continental, Fashion Institute and some others to continue my education. Considering New York is fashion capital I am considering moving that way (also considering California). Now I know more than likely I won't be able to afford living in New York but I figured New Jersey would be more realistic for me. I've never been there but will start taking weekend getaways to get a feel for which way I want to go after I graduate in October 2008 (hopefully that will give me enough time).Can someone give me a breakdown on where it might be a good fit?

To pay the bills I am in the Telecommunications industry (until Fashion Career takes off) and hubby is a sous-chef. ~ not rich

We have 2 teens (girl and boy) ~ education important

and we're African American. ~ We prefer diversity.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-06-2007, 05:56 PM
 
Location: GA
2,736 posts, read 9,339,539 times
Reputation: 1075
Montclair would be a great place for you. It's diverse, has good schools, near NYC transportation, and has more restaurants than you can imagine!
That said, I'm sure you'll receive other great suggestions as there are other good areas. IMO, NYC is the place to be for fashion industry. Best of luck to you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2007, 06:51 PM
 
2,541 posts, read 10,188,047 times
Reputation: 946
try englewood in NNJ close to nyc w/public trans
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2007, 08:09 PM
 
Location: Toms River, NJ
1,106 posts, read 4,363,942 times
Reputation: 652
Depending on your background you could do some research - there happen to be some companies in NJ in your field. Phillips Van-Heusen for one. Liz Claiborn used to have offices here as well, not sure if they still do. Then there are textile testing companies that are often looking for people. SGS and Intertek are two that I know of. If you were lucky enough to locate a job before you move that might help narrow your search.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2007, 01:41 PM
 
1,271 posts, read 3,584,748 times
Reputation: 581
Default Thank You For Responding

I don't know why I though Montclair had like .2% African American people. I researched it and realized that it's more diverse than I figured. It looks beautiful from what I've seen. What are the jobs like? What are the rates if you want to rent? Do you live there? Would it be truly feasible to get to and from New York for school or work?



Quote:
Originally Posted by brookdaleresident View Post
Montclair would be a great place for you. It's diverse, has good schools, near NYC transportation, and has more restaurants than you can imagine!
That said, I'm sure you'll receive other great suggestions as there are other good areas. IMO, NYC is the place to be for fashion industry. Best of luck to you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2007, 03:29 PM
 
1,271 posts, read 3,584,748 times
Reputation: 581
Is there an englewood in every big state?

Englewood New Jersey looks very nice as well . This is a good start!


Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Chutzpah View Post
try englewood in NNJ close to nyc w/public trans
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2007, 04:45 PM
 
Location: GA
2,736 posts, read 9,339,539 times
Reputation: 1075
I used to live in Montclair. Montclair has a large AA population. There's both bus and train service to NYC. A lot of people living there work in NY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2007, 06:45 PM
 
Location: Somewhere over the Rainbow
625 posts, read 3,261,879 times
Reputation: 439
I would definitely recommend moving someplace close to adequate mass transit. I would suggest Montclair or Bloomfield if you want to live in a nice area. Your main concern would definitely be being near a bus stop or train station because you don't want to have to drive into the city and u definitely don't want to have to drive to a bus stop. I majored in Fashion and graduated earlier this year and believe me when I say it is not all about individuality. It is cut throat and you have to have a thick skin especially if you are not 6 feet and as skinny as twiggy once was. I worked at a fashion magazine and interned at a PR/Fashion house and you definitely have to a thick skin because I saw grown men and women cry because someone told them they weren't "fashionable"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2007, 08:22 PM
 
2,541 posts, read 10,188,047 times
Reputation: 946
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjones1976 View Post
Is there an englewood in every big state?

Englewood New Jersey looks very nice as well . This is a good start!
It is a very good place. That small area of bergen county is very diverse. It is really really close to NYC, and there is plenty of public transportation. The cost of housing is also very affordable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2007, 07:37 AM
 
1,271 posts, read 3,584,748 times
Reputation: 581
Thank you for your input.



6ft tall and skinny hmmmmmmmmm. no! and as far as being fashionable, according to their standards I'm sure very few Americans fit that bill. Not fitting in is nothing new to me.

Anyway

Congratulations on your graduation. What are you doing now?

Being a fellow fashionista, do you mean if I pick your brain?




Quote:
Originally Posted by neekah18 View Post
I would definitely recommend moving someplace close to adequate mass transit. I would suggest Montclair or Bloomfield if you want to live in a nice area. Your main concern would definitely be being near a bus stop or train station because you don't want to have to drive into the city and u definitely don't want to have to drive to a bus stop. I majored in Fashion and graduated earlier this year and believe me when I say it is not all about individuality. It is cut throat and you have to have a thick skin especially if you are not 6 feet and as skinny as twiggy once was. I worked at a fashion magazine and interned at a PR/Fashion house and you definitely have to a thick skin because I saw grown men and women cry because someone told them they weren't "fashionable"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top