Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 07:55 AM

1,947 posts, read 3,315,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
You're coming to the wrong state if you're looking for a job. Our unemployment rate under our gluttonous governor is defying national trends and rising, not going down.

And as you probably already know, NJ for the most part is as expensive as hell to live in, much moreso than Rochester. I would consider a roommate if you're moving to most parts of NJ.
EB is right...NJ is corrupt and bankrupt. Stay away from NJ, IL, CA...these states are in ruins and have financial burdens that are sickening. The people that live in the states have no real idea how bad their circumstances are. Property taxes, income taxes, sales taxes...they all have to be increased to pay for the expansion of Medicaid as required by Obamacare. This is ONTOP of the sick debt loads these states already have in-place. None of these Governors have any idea how to address the crushing debt that is growing day by day. Jerry Brown is $crewed. Christie will be voted out for a Dem that will look to expand spending. Illinois is toast. Go south to a right to work state and live a good life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2012, 09:21 AM

576 posts, read 1,595,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiLIFE View Post
Williamsburg, Brooklyn (not NJ, but what you described) and Jersey City. Nothing in NJ near the city will be "reasonably priced". Our taxes, rent, food, etc. is super expensive. Good luck with that.
She said no ghettos, You must mean "downtown jersey city".

Old 09-26-2012, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cf77 View Post
She said no ghettos, You must mean "downtown jersey city".
Exchange Place, Paulus Hook, Newport, Hamilton Park...east of the turnpike extension. At the end of the day, she can't afford NJ, Brooklyn or Hoboken. And NJ taxes are super crazy. She really should use this opportunity to go to a state with a more sound fiscal situation and better prospects for the future. NJ has a huge debt burden and pension liability bubble that it hasn't had the courage to confront.

Old 09-26-2012, 06:04 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,955,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VedrenYuar View Post
Hello members. I will be coming from Rochester, NY. I want to move to start life over. I am single, divorced, and no children. 29 on the 4th of Oct. I work as a caregiver, but that isn't paying much not my passion--just paying the bills.

I am, at heart, a musician, writer, and photographer. I do not have a degree in any of these and looking to possibly pursue school where I will live. This moving challenge is for me to go forward in life. No more stalling. If I start school here, I'll be here another forever amount of years. This move is exceedingly overdue.

I will be looking to rent, and I will of course find a job prior to moving, but need to know which areas to look. With my skills and experience, I do not anticipate on landing a job anything out of the customer service, administrative, recruiting, sales, positions. So basically around that pay range--whatever that is there. Here it ain't much, but enough to live by.

Three things that are important to me is safety, reasonable cost of living (whatever is considered NJ reasonable), and a diverse city life, as I am no country gal. I like nightlife, but no ghettos.

***Please Read***

I just want the answers to my questions, no rhetorical questions or lectures. Nice honest answers. I'm not looking to be discouraged...I'm looking to move forward, no matter the challenge.

Thanks!
Revisiting & rereading the original post........................ All I can do is laugh.
You seem to be indicating you want some sort of cutting edge, creative neighborhood without any of the risk inherently associated with said area. That's not the way it works.
People seem to want all the "cool" without any of the danger. The Disney version of urbanism is what you are truly asking for. Just come out & say it.
Real artists desire affordable working space around other artists, regardless of the neighborhoods condition.
You want to take a tour. You want a synthetic facsimile.
You want to be around people wearing your faux "lifestyle label".

If you want to be around real avante garde artists in New Jersey, try the area around Halsey St in Newark. If not, go wear your Oakley sunglasses at midnight in Brooklyn with all the other like minded frauds.

Last edited by openheads; 09-26-2012 at 06:47 PM..

Old 09-26-2012, 06:22 PM

456 posts, read 832,255 times
NJ is expensive, the cheaper places I don't think you'll fit in. New England or South would be better fit for you IMO.

Old 09-27-2012, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maast View Post
NJ is expensive, the cheaper places I don't think you'll fit in. New England or South would be better fit for you IMO.
+1

Old 09-27-2012, 07:33 AM

3,984 posts, read 7,069,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maast View Post
Most parts of New England are just as expensive as NJ.

South or Midwest would be better. The Dakotas have like 4% unemployment, lots of open land and people who say "Yaah" a lot.

Old 10-03-2012, 11:39 PM

36 posts, read 74,830 times
First of all congratulations on deciding to turn over your life. This is the right time as if not now then it would've been too late! I`m in same age range, left college halfway. Now deciding that I should go back to college as well!
My first question: why do you want to move away from Rochester NY? If you have people whom you trust there then go and live with them as a sublet. You`ll save money to be able to pay for college.
But if you have decided to Move to NJ then again why NJ? As others said it will be pretty expensive to live in a good neighborhood in NJ. Rent goes from 1000 ( central jersey) - 2500 ( hoboken). Not something a college gal would be able to afford on her own.
Have you considered Philadelphia?

Old 10-04-2012, 03:45 PM

367 posts, read 959,056 times
Which Part of New Jersey would you suggest?

None

Old 10-06-2012, 08:33 PM

9,324 posts, read 12,977,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
You need an area with a large amount of elderly people. Try Burlington County and Cherry Hill.
Or south Jersey in general. True,there isn't much nightlife,but you can always head into Philladelphia.

Before you move btw,I would suggest you get a Cna. Certificate or HHA certificate.
They make 10 to 15 dollars per hour,and there is a huge demand for them right now.
Don't believe me? Chech out Craigslist under any area in Nj,go under Medical/employment and you will see a plethora of postings for HHa and Cna.

Do you have a car?
I doubt the OP would really find what he/he is looking for in Cherry Hill as far as everyday living goes, but nearby Collingswood/Haddon Township are plenty hip and artsy while still being on the lower-rent side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey