U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 09:04 PM

10 posts, read 33,930 times

Advertisements

Any advice on a place to live that's safe and still within decent commute to Manhattan? Looking for either houses or good apartments in a place with a smaller town feel. Don't want to live in the middle of the city. I'm temporarily in Wayne, but are there other good options similar to Wayne?

Looking at approx 2-3K rent minimum 2 bedroom
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2007, 10:40 PM

5,439 posts, read 14,329,796 times
2-3k???? How about Ridgewood. It doesn't get much more safe or small town! Ridgewood is well known for "Ridgewood Ave" which has about half a mile of shops & stores in the center of town starting at the train station where there is a Farmer's market every Sunday in the spring/summer. I think the commute would probably be shorter than Wayne also.

Old 10-07-2007, 07:16 PM

176 posts, read 172,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fizboz View Post
Any advice on a place to live that's safe and still within decent commute to Manhattan? Looking for either houses or good apartments in a place with a smaller town feel. Don't want to live in the middle of the city. I'm temporarily in Wayne, but are there other good options similar to Wayne?

How`s a house in Mahwah on a five acre lot? The owner lives out of state but is a very good friend of mine and she is trying to sell the house but is also considering a renter at this point. The house is in good condition and train station is 2 mins up the street. Let me know if this is something you would be considering. If you want to know more please let me know.

Old 10-07-2007, 08:03 PM

562 posts, read 2,374,064 times
not to discourage from renting.. but for that amount you can probably buy a 2 bedroom apt, condo.. IMO if you can pay 2500+ on rent, its not worth to rent..

Quote:

Old 10-07-2007, 08:09 PM

2,541 posts, read 10,190,782 times
Try Fort Lee, Leonia, Palisades Park, Englewood, bergenfield, Ridgefield, ridgefield park, bogota, maywood, hackensack

Old 07-29-2009, 06:38 PM

12 posts, read 54,504 times
Default safe and clean jersey

i lived in LODI, NJ one summer and it was a decent 30 min drive to the city. we would park and ride the ny waterway ferry. however, i think they eliminated that big parking lot on river road, so it could be a problem. garfield/lodi is small town, kid friendly and decent, my friend had a 3/1 apartment over a single family home for $1500.

a better area is paramus, nj.

Old 07-31-2009, 09:43 AM

53 posts, read 277,052 times
If you're willing to spend $2000-$3000, check out Avalon Lyndhurst in Lyndhurst or Avalon Rutherford Station in Rutherford, NJ. The rents are fairly pricey, but they have cut the rents on 2 bedroom apartments recently.

The Lyndhurst community is only a couple of years old, so if you rent there, you would likely be the 2nd renter in whatever apartment you rented. I lived there for 2 years, and I really liked it. The garage is in the back of the complex and under cover. You only get parking for one car with the apartment, but a pass for a 2nd car is $50/month (many residents park 2 cars and don't get the pass - most of the times it's fine, but they did tow all unauthorized cars once). The community also has a nice fitness room, a pool, and a community room with a pool table. The commute from Rutherford & Polito (a 10 minute walk, or you can park in the Marriott lot, which a lot of people do) is great, since there are a lot of buses that go through there.

Avalon Rutherford Station is probably similar, but it is a little bit older. The main advantage is that it sits right near the Rutherford Train Station and "downtown" Rutherford, which many people like.

Both communities offer great amenities and commutes. Avalon is a good management company, and they are very responsive to maintenance. My only complaint is that when it comes to returning your security deposit, they tend to overcharge for regular wear and tear.

One other note: For $2000-$3000 a month, you could probably rent a pretty nice house in either town, or a lot the nearby towns that are nice.

Old 08-01-2009, 05:02 AM

2,312 posts, read 6,519,060 times
Summit has a quick commute and a nice downtown. Same with Montclair.

Old 08-01-2009, 06:58 AM
GJM

465 posts, read 1,688,319 times
There are brand new apartments just built in Saddlebrook - 140 Mayhill I think they go for about $2200 for a 2 bedroom.

Old 08-01-2009, 07:11 AM

792 posts, read 2,739,797 times
Quote:
I'm temporarily in Wayne, but are there other good options similar to Wayne?
what is it you do not like about Wayne?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or