Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2011, 04:08 PM

2 posts, read 10,985 times

Advertisements

Hello all

My brother and I will be visiting Union City at the end of December. I did as much research as I could on the city, and found it's really hit or miss depending on where you are (regarding safety). We will be staying on 18th street between Palaside Ave. and Mountain Road. What does an experienced Union Citier know about that area of Union City?

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2011, 03:45 PM

13 posts, read 47,210 times
That part of Union City is pretty close to Hoboken (where I live), which is a "yuppie" town. I think Union City is pretty safe- it gets a bad rap because it's heavily Hispanic, but whenever I go there I see lots of families walking around. I wouldn't go walking alone at 4am and would make sure to lock my car doors, like in any urban area, but overall you should be okay.

Old 11-18-2011, 10:39 PM

1,202 posts, read 3,029,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hob630 View Post
That part of Union City is pretty close to Hoboken (where I live), which is a "yuppie" town. I think Union City is pretty safe- it gets a bad rap because it's heavily Hispanic, but whenever I go there I see lots of families walking around. I wouldn't go walking alone at 4am and would make sure to lock my car doors, like in any urban area, but overall you should be okay.
This.

Union City is your average urban area. Some good, but there is some bad, just be smart about things and be aware of your surroundings. This isn't to say walk around in fear, looking over your shoulder every 4 steps. But just know your comfort level and not walk lost in our iPod or texting.

And yeah, lock your car doors, duh. I've noticed a lot of people get really up in arms over this idea. "Lock my car doors?? Must be dangerous!!!" Uh, no you dippy idiot. Lock you car doors no matter where you are. The richest and "safest" towns experience car break ins. Easy way to avoid it? Lock em!

Old 12-14-2011, 03:49 PM

2 posts, read 10,985 times
Thank you for your advice

I'm going to a few concerts in NYC and we'll be staying in that area referred to above...only problem is, we'll be taking the bus home from PABT and it will be around midnight...Not sure how comfortable I feel about that

Old 12-14-2011, 04:41 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,537,438 times
^^its perfectly fine

Old 12-16-2011, 11:20 AM

1,489 posts, read 3,088,594 times
I live in UC not far from where you mentioned. You'll be fine. Im constantly out there at 3am on weekends with never an issue. If you park a car, lock your doors, obviously. Just be smart and you'll have no problems

Old 12-16-2011, 03:02 PM

51 posts, read 130,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beginjp3 View Post
Thank you for your advice

I'm going to a few concerts in NYC and we'll be staying in that area referred to above...only problem is, we'll be taking the bus home from PABT and it will be around midnight...Not sure how comfortable I feel about that
Just make sure not to expose the fact that you're a Phish fan and you should be able to avoid any trouble.

Old 12-18-2011, 03:19 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,961,308 times
I never feel unsafe in Union City.

Old 12-18-2011, 03:28 PM

2,256 posts, read 6,956,755 times
I live in Union City and the only place it starts getting a bit rough would be the southern portion in the single digit ave spots bordering Jersey City to the south. Where you are there should be no issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey