U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 09-29-2010, 12:53 PM
 
Location: Some where North of South Jersey
614 posts, read 1,128,603 times
Reputation: 227

Advertisements

Thier slogan should be...

"Sonic... The New Checkers"

Because to me Sonic is the NEW Checkers, I remember when they first opened up in NJ around the early 90's that was the new HOT thing with "Twin" drive thrus. Now I don't see too many people there and I've seen one or two even close their doors.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-29-2010, 03:09 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
4,085 posts, read 7,446,272 times
Reputation: 2641
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEEPNJ View Post
I finally made it to the SONIC in Has. Hts recently - because there are no more lines - and I can now officially say this...... ANYONE who waited in line for HOURS to eat there should have their head examined.
From my travels, I always really liked Sonic, and I still do. I have it occasionally on the road. When they opened in Has. Hts. I was psyched and wanted to go. Then I heard about the crazy lines. I figured it was the novelty of it, but then the lines didn't die down for months and months. So obviously many of those people thought it was so amazing and great it was worth waiting on line for. And those people, as you say, should have their heads examined.

That's what pissed me off - I just wanted to have it, it wasn't that big a deal, but because some people blew it out of proportion I couldn't even enjoy it the way it should have been enjoyed, casually, like no big deal. It truly is ridiculous the way people continued to line up for what is nothing more than fast food.

If it were In-N-Out it would be different, they get lines no matter what; but Sonic? It's good, but not THAT good at all.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2010, 03:10 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
4,085 posts, read 7,446,272 times
Reputation: 2641
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjd72 View Post
Thier slogan should be...

"Sonic... The New Checkers"

Because to me Sonic is the NEW Checkers, I remember when they first opened up in NJ around the early 90's that was the new HOT thing with "Twin" drive thrus. Now I don't see too many people there and I've seen one or two even close their doors.
Sonic is not a drive-thru, it is a drive-in.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2010, 06:54 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia, PA
1,164 posts, read 1,686,134 times
Reputation: 1001
Can't wait for that new Sonic on Rt.1 in Edison to open up! YEAH!!!!!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2010, 07:42 PM
 
Location: Orlando, FL
12,256 posts, read 15,789,306 times
Reputation: 6600
I used to go to the one on 27 to get the slushies when they were half price. The strawberry lemon one was wonderful but the food was awful
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2010, 01:47 AM
 
Location: West Orange, NJ
701 posts, read 1,438,117 times
Reputation: 210
I used to always love Sonic when I was down south, then when it came to lacy I traveled down there twice lol. Now having one right by me on rt. 17 it is no longer that great, I guess because it seemed so cool I really liked it before, now its like whatever any fast food is like.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2010, 09:20 AM
 
Location: Some where North of South Jersey
614 posts, read 1,128,603 times
Reputation: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
Sonic is not a drive-thru, it is a drive-in.
Ok what ever it is it IS the newest fad in Fast food that is soon to die off like Checkers popularity did. I know a "Drive-Thru" is not a new thing but Sonic in NJ is. The other thing is they are going to build too many and that will kill it, if you make a limited amount of locations it makes it more special instead of one on every corner. Now that we have Sonic in NJ it's like ehh what ever before they got here it was like WOW!! I CAN'T WAIT UNTIL THERES ON IN NJ!!!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2010, 12:17 PM
 
Location: Ocean County, NJ
912 posts, read 2,070,255 times
Reputation: 459
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
From my travels, I always really liked Sonic, and I still do. I have it occasionally on the road. When they opened in Has. Hts. I was psyched and wanted to go. Then I heard about the crazy lines. I figured it was the novelty of it, but then the lines didn't die down for months and months. So obviously many of those people thought it was so amazing and great it was worth waiting on line for. And those people, as you say, should have their heads examined.

That's what pissed me off - I just wanted to have it, it wasn't that big a deal, but because some people blew it out of proportion I couldn't even enjoy it the way it should have been enjoyed, casually, like no big deal. It truly is ridiculous the way people continued to line up for what is nothing more than fast food.

If it were In-N-Out it would be different, they get lines no matter what; but Sonic? It's good, but not THAT good at all.
When the Sonic opened on Rt. 72 in Manahawkin, the same thing happened with the huge lines. They actually were so long they began to back up to the main highway (Sonic is located behind a traffic light that diverges into three lanes all going to different shopping centers). It took probably almost 6 months or more, but it's finally died down.

To date I haven't gone to the one closest to me, though I used to occasionally grab breakfast there when I lived in Florida a few years back. I recall about a year ago, Brick Twp. actually denied Sonic a permit to build after they heard testimony from Manahawkin and Lacey about the noise and volume of traffic, plus stories of how it becomes a hangout for teens who supposedly cause some mischief.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2010, 12:19 PM
 
Location: Ocean County, NJ
912 posts, read 2,070,255 times
Reputation: 459
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjd72 View Post
Ok what ever it is it IS the newest fad in Fast food that is soon to die off like Checkers popularity did. I know a "Drive-Thru" is not a new thing but Sonic in NJ is. The other thing is they are going to build too many and that will kill it, if you make a limited amount of locations it makes it more special instead of one on every corner. Now that we have Sonic in NJ it's like ehh what ever before they got here it was like WOW!! I CAN'T WAIT UNTIL THERES ON IN NJ!!!
Is Checkers common in certain parts of New Jersey? The only one I've ever seen in NJ is the one on Rt. 37 in Toms River.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2010, 01:57 PM
 
Location: On the Rails in Northern NJ
12,381 posts, read 22,620,647 times
Reputation: 4504
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGambler View Post
Is Checkers common in certain parts of New Jersey? The only one I've ever seen in NJ is the one on Rt. 37 in Toms River.
PAterson , Passaic , Jersey City , New brunswick ? All have Checkers but they seem to be a dying breed. Along with KFC and Taco Bell. Diners however are coming back swing.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top