U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2009, 11:44 AM

1,983 posts, read 6,580,355 times

Advertisements

For those of you in South Jersey, there is a new Sonic being built on Rt 38 in Hainesport, right before the new Lowes shopping center in Lumberton. I don't know when it is opening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2009, 12:48 PM

119 posts, read 402,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMan710 View Post

According to a website I found online (a MySpace page), the Howell and Hasbrouck Heights locations are opening in June 2008. Considering that the Route 17 location has no construction underway, it would have to go up pretty quickly. That said, a Sonic isn't terribly complex to build, so it's certainly possible. It would make sense from a business perspective to open for the summer, when kids are out of school and most likely to patronize the place.
What's the link to the Myspace page? I saw a "Coming Soon" sign in Manahawkin too, off of rt 72 near the Walmart and K-mart plazas.. Sonic locations seem to be popping up all over NJ really quickly..

Old 04-09-2009, 01:13 PM

53 posts, read 276,985 times
Here is the requested My Space page:

MySpace.com - NJ Sonic - 98 - Male - New Jersey - www.myspace.com/njsonicdrivein

Old 04-13-2009, 07:44 AM

37 posts, read 160,793 times
There a brand new one in Rio Grand ( by Wildwood) right across from the new Lowes and Bed bath and Beyond. Tried it this weekend and it was a great burger...

Old 05-03-2009, 11:58 AM

22 posts, read 72,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoorestownResident View Post
For those of you in South Jersey, there is a new Sonic being built on Rt 38 in Hainesport, right before the new Lowes shopping center in Lumberton. I don't know when it is opening.

May 11th Grand Opening. SICK.

Old 05-04-2009, 10:46 AM

24 posts, read 65,338 times
Someone didn't think there was a Sonic in PA, but there is one in Lancaster on Rt. 30 near the outlets. And someone else said there was one in Ephrata, which is also Lancaster County.
There is a Sonic in Myrtle Beach. What I miss in Myrtle Beach (we're there every year) is WaWa!

Old 05-04-2009, 04:33 PM

6,268 posts, read 15,504,848 times
North Jersey people, I heard a rumor that a Sonic will be opening on Rt 17 in the Hasbrouck Heights area.

Old 05-04-2009, 04:56 PM

Location: When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic
1,060 posts, read 1,795,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
North Jersey people, I heard a rumor that a Sonic will be opening on Rt 17 in the Hasbrouck Heights area.
It will not take business away from White Castle on Rt 17 for sure

Old 05-04-2009, 09:41 PM

4,085 posts, read 7,447,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcian View Post
It will not take business away from White Castle on Rt 17 for sure
Very little, I think.

This thread has been interesting to read. I, for one, gladly welcome Sonic to Bergen County. We could use it. It's more than just the burger; to me, their burgers are good. Not great, not very good, but just good, decent, OK. But they have an awesome variety on their menu, and it includes TATER TOTS which is awesome. I don't ever get fries, except from In-N-Out out west; but I LOVE tater tots! They also have good hot dogs (coneys); good frozen treats and dessert options; good chicken strips; great variety of drinks/slushes; and a great value menu including a fritos, chili & cheese wrap (where else can you get that or "fritos pie" in NJ??? - nowhere). So Sonic will be a great new option.

As for comparing it to White Castle or White Manna, I don't get that. Yes, they both have burgers, but that's the extent of their similarity. Same with all the comparison of In-N-Out, etc. to White Manna - it doesn't make sense.

White Castle and White Manna and White Rose make a "system burger", the original type of burger that was born in the USA. The style hasn't changed - smaller burger, fried with lots of fried onion, on a soft bun with ketchup and pickle. McDonald's' plain burger is a system burger, too.

A more "California burger" style is what you'll find elsewhere. Burger is bigger, fried by itself or with cheese (no onion) and fresh ingredients are added afterwards (including fresh, not fried, onions, typically). Condiments can include anything, but typically include mayo or a mayo-based sauce like russian dressing or tartar sauce, and can include relish and mustard as well as ketchup. It's still a burger, but it's entirely a different thing.

Some may prefer the system burger to the California burger, but that's a preference of types, not a direct preference of burgers. It's like Chicago style hot dogs against NY or NJ style hot dogs; I never understand why people insist on comparing them when they're so different. I love Chicago dogs, but sometimes I want a Nathan's. Or, other times I want a Hiram's fried hot dog or a Hot Grill "Texas weiner". And I haven't even touched on "coneys" (which Sonic sells)...

When I'm in the mood for White Castle, I go there - Sonic won't change that. If I'm in the mood for Sonic, White Castle won't change that. And if I'm in the mood for a Taylor Ham, Egg, and Cheese (the official breafast sandwich of the state of NJ) then I'm going to the Bendix and order that with some burnt hash from Johnny...

I'm looking forward to Sonic opening, but even more forward to the day when the novelty wears off so that it's not jam-packed, which it will be for the first few months they're open.

Welcome to Bergen County, Sonic!

Old 05-04-2009, 11:23 PM

1,057 posts, read 1,428,501 times
The one in Waretown is very popular. I stopped in once to see what the fuss was about and the place was jammed. I had a burger and fries and it was very good.

They were going to open a location in Brick Twp. but apparently the planning board squashed it. A nearby senior development complained that it would bring out too many noisy kids in the summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or