Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 09:34 PM

72 posts, read 240,573 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to figure out what people do when they live in parts of jersey, that IS NOT jersey city, hoboken, bayonne, union city, etc etc. Basically parts of jersey that are more residential...but is not a hassle to get to nyc nightlife latenight.

I ask b/c i live in queens. And i'm planning on moving to a residential area in NJ. I DON'T WANT jersery city or any kind of urban living. I have a car. I don't mind driving to a station. I don't mind driving to a path station either. I just don't know what is outta my reach.

I've been looking into hackensack for instance. Do people drive to hoboken and take the path train to party late night in nyc? I'm just looking for suggestions of locations in nj...that i can drive to transportation late night for nyc night life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2012, 09:37 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
I take the train from penn station back to princeton area. If I'm staying out till 6am or whatnot I'll crash in NYC or take a limo home.

Old 09-29-2012, 12:01 AM

1,037 posts, read 3,162,917 times
If you have a car, you can always find a free parking spot in Queens/Brooklyn (I am sure there are spots in NYC as well, I just don't know them) and hang out. Just don't drink and drive.

Old 09-29-2012, 08:50 AM

10,222 posts, read 19,213,191 times
Anywhere you can drive to Harrison PATH (much easier than Hoboken or JC) will work, though it might get to be a drag after a while.

NJ Transit doesn't run roughly from 1am to 5am, so unless you're a total night owl it's not as good.

Old 09-29-2012, 09:41 AM

3,617 posts, read 3,884,082 times
I know many people who do this, and used to do it nearly every weekend myself (now it's more like once a month at most, ah well), and people generally do one of these 3 things:

- Drive in (+ either don't drink or do it as a group with a designated driver)
- Take the bus (there are lots of buses that run from 1-1:30 and a few that have a ~3 a.m. run)
- Do one of the above to get in and out during normal hours and crash with someone in the city overnight.

Old 09-29-2012, 11:40 AM

72 posts, read 240,573 times
Why is it easier to drive into Harrison than Hoboken? Is there no parking near Hoboken late night

Old 09-29-2012, 12:07 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
i would just drive it. problem is if you are drinking, so you either need a designated driver or you can try to find a girl to nail in her place and spend the night.

Old 09-29-2012, 12:13 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,213,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPooch167 View Post
Why is it easier to drive into Harrison than Hoboken? Is there no parking near Hoboken late night
It's just always a pain to drive into Hoboken. Hoboken has some nightlife of its own, so you'll be fighting that traffic, plus the ever-present traffic on the roads there.

Old 09-29-2012, 12:14 PM

1,247 posts, read 3,025,570 times
Quote:
Hoboken sucks for parking. It is worth taking the train there. Otherwise you can be driving around for 45 minutes looking for a place to park.

Old 09-29-2012, 01:57 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Not much. Have you ever driven through the streets of Hoboken? Very narrow with endless cars parked along the sides. You have to drive very slowly down every street. When most of those apartments and houses were built, people didn't have cars, let alone one per person.

There are parking garages in Hoboken, especially along River Street. They are not cheap, but they ARE cheaper than New York City's parking garages.

I think it's just easier to drive to Harrison and park and take a slightly longer PATH ride. Harrison is accessible from major highways and PATH is located centrally, while Hoboken takes longer to access through those long, narrow streets to get near a PATH station that's more accessible by train than car and that sits right on the river.

You should try both, though, and see which suits you better. Travel issues/congestion can also depend upon time of day or night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey