Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2012, 09:50 AM

5 posts, read 23,896 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I will be moving to the New Brunswick/Somerset area with my partner in a week or so, and am looking for a 2BR apartment in a mid/high rise. Some of the complexes I have shortlisted are as follows:
- The Highlands at Plaza Square
- Riverwatch Commons
- Riverside Towers
- Harrison Towers
- Colony House
- Skyline Towers

I visited Harrison (looked a bit crummy for the price) and Plaza Square (may be too noisy due to its proximity to the highway) earlier (haven't visited the rest yet) and have done a fair amount of research online; however I can't really rely on anonymous reviews too much due to their being outdated in some cases and possible management-posted reviews in other cases. As such, I'd really appreciate some advice/reviews of these complexes.

My budget is about $2000, and I'd like a safe neighborhood with convenient travel to/from the train station (for my partner, she will travel daily by train and may occasionally be a bit late returning from work). We also intend to spend time in downtown on the weekends, although not too late at night (judging from prior research on this website). This is our first time in NJ, so we would love to hear your experiences. Also, if you know of/recommend any other mid/highrises in the area that we may have overlooked, please feel free to suggest those.

Thanks very much in advance!

PS - I looked at the Vue already and found it too small. One of the 2 BR apartments was horribly misshapen - I wonder what the architect was smoking when he designed that particular floor plan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2012, 12:39 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,845,984 times
Why not someplace closer to NYC like , Harrison , Jersey City , Hoboken , Bayonne?

Old 10-01-2012, 02:12 PM

My job is in North NJ and my partner has a job at Philly - hence the midway choice

Old 10-01-2012, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRationalist View Post
My job is in North NJ and my partner has a job at Philly - hence the midway choice
Ouch I see....thats a tough commute ....are you going to take the train to Philly its about 1hr and 25 mins....to Center City and University City... I don't know much about New Brunswick living wise , commute wise its center to both cities...

Old 10-01-2012, 02:37 PM

I'll be driving to and from North NJ daily (about an hour each way) while my partner will take the NJ transit train - she doesn't like driving It's not easy but this is the only option if we want to live in an urban area that's midway
I don't know much about New Brunswick either apart from what I've read here. If I can find a trouble-free place to come home to, that would ease the pain of travel

Old 10-01-2012, 02:46 PM

Princeton further down (15 mins added or subtracted train journey), then there's Metuchen further up (25mins added or subtracted train journey) Where in North Jersey is your job? If its Hackensack , Newark , Jersey City , Hoboken , Metropark , or Harrison then I wouldn't drive to it Transit would be better.

Old 10-03-2012, 11:05 PM

36 posts, read 74,898 times
The Highlands at Plaza Square - Pretty good from inside, however area around it is not so great.
Riverwatch Commons- Never been there
- Riverside Towers- wouldn't live there, shady ppl.
- Harrison Towers- you rejected.
- Colony House- Best option. There is a bus stop nearby which takes you to train station. Park and river nearby.
- Skyline Towers - Good option as your partner is gonna commuter, however I wouldn't walk from train station to ANYWHERE at night alone in new brunswick. You better be prepared to pick her up.

Old 10-05-2012, 09:16 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,681,591 times
I know folks who just moved into Colony House and LOVE IT.

Old 10-07-2012, 09:08 AM

@jessnewlife & tahiti,

Thanks a ton for the helpful info! I had a look at Skyline, Plaza Square and Colony House, and I also liked Colony House the best. Skyline was better in terms of the apartment, but Colony House has the park and river next door, great views and good reviews from a couple of the residents that I spoke with. Still have to look at another apartment at the Vue but Colony House seems really good at this point.

Old 10-07-2012, 10:01 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,681,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRationalist View Post
@jessnewlife & tahiti,

Thanks a ton for the helpful info! I had a look at Skyline, Plaza Square and Colony House, and I also liked Colony House the best. Skyline was better in terms of the apartment, but Colony House has the park and river next door, great views and good reviews from a couple of the residents that I spoke with. Still have to look at another apartment at the Vue but Colony House seems really good at this point.
You're welcome. I haven't been to see their apt yet, but I understand it has stunning views of the park. They have a corner unit with windows on 2 sides. The only downside I know is no laundry in unit, which personally is a deal breaker for me, but my friends don't mind.

Best of luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey