Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 06:50 PM

14 posts, read 59,641 times

Advertisements

Any one knows of a Fall Get away in PA or NJ for the weekend of the 20th.

Will be having visitors from the south who are keen on experiencing fall colors and would like no more than 3 hours of drive from Central Jersey/ Yardley PA.

A log cabin or a Chalet which can house two families and activities like fishing and some fun activities for younger kids would be ideal.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2007, 09:34 PM

93 posts, read 307,318 times
Take a drive up to Warren County or Sussex County, NJ. If you go along Rt. 206 or Rt. 94, you will see some beautiful scenery with lots of little shops to stop by and farmers markets with homemade pies.

Old 10-07-2007, 09:59 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,331,999 times
Go tailgating at a Penn State football game or a Rutgers football game.

Old 10-07-2007, 10:16 PM

299 posts, read 1,332,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty_07 View Post
Any one knows of a Fall Get away in PA or NJ for the weekend of the 20th.

Will be having visitors from the south who are keen on experiencing fall colors and would like no more than 3 hours of drive from Central Jersey/ Yardley PA.

A log cabin or a Chalet which can house two families and activities like fishing and some fun activities for younger kids would be ideal.

Thanks in advance.

Don't know exactly how far this is for you but in Strasburg PA they have a great Railroad Museum ( great for adults & kids) and close by are places nearby to rent that cater to multi family gatherings. Good luck & have fun

Old 10-07-2007, 11:48 PM

30,907 posts, read 32,981,735 times
How about Googling bed and breakfasts along the Delaware Water Gap? I don't know that I'd necessarily recommend the cheesey Poconos places any more (unless there have been some drastic improvements since I was last there) but there must be places to "sit a spell" along the Gap. It's beautiful, I mean absolutely breathtaking this time of year.

Here, maybe something like this. You can read a few reviews on that page. Here's their site.

I mean I know you're probably asking for first-hand recommendations but I figured I'd throw it out there as an idea. The actual towns themselves around there (Delaware Water Gap...Stroudsburg...etc.) aren't the most scenic as far as "downtown" goes...they're a little shabby...but the Gap itself is so so gorgeous, and there's so much you can do in it and on it (boating and the like).

Good luck and have a great vacation!

Old 10-08-2007, 06:35 AM

13,399 posts, read 28,712,493 times
You can also go in the other direction up to the Catskills....Woodstock, Saugerties, New Paltz...Hyde Park has all the mansions of the very rich from years ago along the Hudson...not really that bad of a drive..NY State thruway

Hudson Valley Resorts & New York State Hotel Accommodations – Mohonk Mountain House

Community of New Paltz, NY

Saugerties NY - Hudson Valley Village

Hudson River Valley, New York Mansions, Museums, Culinary Tours

Old 10-08-2007, 07:32 AM

13,399 posts, read 28,712,493 times
and here are some apple orchards for the kids in the Catskills

Minard Farms and U-Pick Apple Orchards and Cider Mill of Clintondale, New York

Dressel Farms - New Paltz, NY

Old 10-08-2007, 07:53 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,654,704 times
I think the greatest place to go in the Poconos now is the Great Wolf Lodge......
If you google that you will see it is spectacular. It is open to the public as far as the restaurants go. The rooms are not inexpensive, but the kids love the indoor water park. For staying at a nice, clean, and well respected lodge, I'd look up Cresent lodge off of 191 /447 that is around by Henryville. It also has its own well respected restaurant, with a nice fireplace, and some evenings piano music.
For a scenic view I'd go to the top of Camel Back, when you think you can not go further, keep going up. There is a fantastic view up there and some picnic tables.( Look outs).......
For renting a home, for the entire clan.........I'd look into Harmony Lake. They rent homes, have a wonderful lake and great restaurants like Nicks right on the lake. My favorite and sitting in the all glass room you can look out at the lake. All kinds of food, and quite tastey.
You probably would be able to rent a lake front.
Out of all the things suggested.......it sounds more like you would have everything you want at Harmony Lake off of 940 in Blakeslee, Pa. Jim Thorpe is having a Fall Festival, you could drive too on the 13/14th ( see into on the pa. pages) Have a great time!

Old 10-08-2007, 08:02 AM

522 posts, read 1,584,391 times
You may want to check out Sugarloaf NY. It's a quaint town that's walk friendly with a lot of cute shops and restaurants. Here is a link:

Sugar Loaf Art and Craft Village

I also like New Hope Pa and you could always check out Lambertsville, which is right across the bridge. Have Fun!

Old 10-08-2007, 10:12 AM

201 posts, read 1,012,466 times
I love Jim Thorpe PA, near Albrightsville PA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey