Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 02:09 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,842,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by millerm277 View Post
How about we start with making the RVL and other train lines go direct to the city?
Thats on the list , but can't happen intill the Newark Upgrades are done which would be in 2025 along with the New Tunnels , New Bridges , New Viaduct and New Penn Station... NJT will expand its Central and Western Network starting in 2018....in Ocean , Monmouth , Middlesex , Hunterdon , Warren and Sussex Counties. Sussex County should be getting its Rail by 2013....Warren will be 2017....However the current setup in the Morning for the RVL isn't the worst its coming home, Newark Penn Station needs to be upgraded first which won't be completed till 2015...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2012, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I remember them finishing I-287. They took away more than half of Campgaw Mountain Reservation, where we used to hike and hang out. On the plus side, it cut our trip to the Poconos from Bergen County by half an hour.
My mom took rocks from the Construction site and used them for Landscaping...

Old 10-04-2012, 06:54 PM

136 posts, read 224,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captne76 View Post

I think I-287, the Northern section from Montville NJ to the NY line was the last major piece of unbuilt interstate to be built in the US, which was finished maybe ten or 12 years ago. Along with that NJ widened all of I-287 to 3 lanes, many sections where 2 lanes, but along the way had to fight court battles with the Sierra Club a long while. Finally 287 was widened but the deal was the extra lane was for car pools, meaning 2 or 3 people in each car. Traffic would grind to a halt when you hit the car pool sections because 3 lanes had to merge back to 2. After a few years one of the Gov's I thin Whitman got Fed permission to get rid of the car pool lanes so we could all use the 3 lanes. The empty HOV sign structures are still there in many places.
287 was finished in 1994 through Mahwah and opened in stages from the late 80's, moving south to north. it is three lanes till 208 when it is 2 lanes for the majority of the remaining 7 miles to the state line (some climbing lanes).There was a huge uproar when they were building it which caused the alignment to be about 6 miles further than originally proposed. This is due to the populations of wayne, lincoln Park and many others causing an uproar. The highway was then shifted further west. Some of the markings for the HOV lanes are still visible on the road (around exit 39) but they are repaving so it may be no longer there.

Quote:
I remember them finishing I-287. They took away more than half of Campgaw Mountain Reservation, where we used to hike and hang out. On the plus side, it cut our trip to the Poconos from Bergen County by half an hour
While I was not around when they were building or before, the highway only runs through the eastern edge of the park now. I highly doubt that they took half the land and sold it to developers, I could be wrong though. Campgaw is still really nice you should hang out at it again. it is also right next to Ramapo reservation which I think is even nicer.

Old 10-04-2012, 07:00 PM

136 posts, read 224,641 times
In my opinion 17 should be widened south of GSP mall to 3 lanes, although it would require condemning a few properties it could be worth it because it is a major bottleneck. 287 is fine the way it is, but a few ramps could use a major overhaul. 4 could defiantly use 3 lanes but I can't talk to it since I don't frequent it. Other roads I'm not familiar with so I can't say oneway or the other.

They are widening the turnpike to 6 lanes from like exit 10 or so to exit 6 (a bit of a guess) for 2.5 billion

Old 10-04-2012, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhsx1187 View Post
In my opinion 17 should be widened south of GSP mall to 3 lanes, although it would require condemning a few properties it could be worth it because it is a major bottleneck. 287 is fine the way it is, but a few ramps could use a major overhaul. 4 could defiantly use 3 lanes but I can't talk to it since I don't frequent it. Other roads I'm not familiar with so I can't say oneway or the other.

They are widening the turnpike to 6 lanes from like exit 10 or so to exit 6 (a bit of a guess) for 2.5 billion
That was planned , but for some reason never got off the Ground , same with Route 4 widening in Teaneck it was NIMBY'd to death...then the Cross County Rail was NIMBY'd aswell which was the ALT to the widenings...

Old 10-04-2012, 08:25 PM

1,247 posts, read 3,023,966 times
How about Route 1, specifically between Aaron Rd and Independence Way. North and south of this stretch it has been widened to six lanes (three each way) with many intersections converted to interchanges. Meanwhile, through this six mile stretch it is still only two lanes each way and all lights controlling the intersections. I have seen some evidence here that they will finally upgrade this one stretch, but when? With all the debt this state is in already, I doubt we will see it during our lifetime.

Old 10-05-2012, 07:49 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
287 was finished in 1994 through Mahwah and opened in stages from the late 80's, moving south to north. it is three lanes till 208 when it is 2 lanes for the majority of the remaining 7 miles to the state line (some climbing lanes).There was a huge uproar when they were building it which caused the alignment to be about 6 miles further than originally proposed. This is due to the populations of wayne, lincoln Park and many others causing an uproar. The highway was then shifted further west. Some of the markings for the HOV lanes are still visible on the road (around exit 39) but they are repaving so it may be no longer there.

While I was not around when they were building or before, the highway only runs through the eastern edge of the park now. I highly doubt that they took half the land and sold it to developers, I could be wrong though. Campgaw is still really nice you should hang out at it again. it is also right next to Ramapo reservation which I think is even nicer.
I moved to a different part of the state, which also has wonderful parks. Perhaps "half" was taken too literally. I just remember huge parts of Campgaw disappearing, and it was kind of sad for those of us who grew up going there. My cousin lived in Mahwah (and back in the 1960s her address was still and RFD #) and Campgaw was nearby.

I agree with you that Ramapo Reservation is a very nice place for hiking or whatever! Spent a lot of time there, too.

Old 10-05-2012, 07:52 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:

It's called the "6-to-9 Widening Project"

I know people working on the project, and "6to9widening" is actually part of their email address!

Old 10-05-2012, 08:28 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,395,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunnor View Post
I'm always surprised that New Jersey highways only have 3 lanes (Rt 208 has only 2) per direction/side, especially in more heavily congested and populated Northern part near NYC. NJ is the most densely populated state in the nation, and also being part of New York metro which is by far the largest in the nation.

Traffic is terrible during rush hour, and sometimes during non-rush hour times as well. God forbid you drive on Rt 4 and Rt 17 almost anytime of the day except very late evening and Sundays (Thanks to the blue laws in the county).

Even other highways like I-80, the Parkway and Turnpike is bad too.

They need to redesign the highways and increase the lanes to minimum of 4 lanes/direction.
I understand that it could still be traffic, but at least it will be less!

If you go further south and west in the nation with less population, you typically see 4 - 8 lanes/direction!
you have a complete lack of understanding of Civil Engineering and traffic planning if you believe adding more lanes is the solution to traffic problems. I don't know where you've been that has 8 lanes in one direction. I've seen 4, but it's in places with horrible traffic and severe underspending on public transportation.

We need more public transportation and more pedestrian traffic support in many cities. that would have a dramatic impact on traffic and would be long term. More lanes (when we don't even maintain our existing road infrastructure) will be a short term solution, and eventually more cars will populate those additional lanes.

Old 10-05-2012, 08:31 AM

1,437 posts, read 2,570,629 times
Route 70 and 72 should be all four lanes. It would improve access from Philadelphia to Ocean County for shore traffice in the summer and for Ocean County residents to have easier access to the Philly area... probably should have been in 1965 but there were ambitions plans for a bunch of freeways all across NJ... Route 37 was supposed to be a freeway from Trenton to Seaside and Route 38 was supposed to be a freeway from Camden to Belmar, meeting somewhere near Fort Dix... ( thats why Route 138 used to be 38).. Both were canceled and I-195 sort of took the place. So we have a 1930s 2 lane road as the major connection from Ocean County to Philadelphia

With the Pinelands this will never happen though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey