Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2012, 10:15 AM

21 posts, read 64,902 times

Advertisements

[SIZE=3]Help: I am trying to find out how is the area by Robert st in Rockaway nj? Is this a safe area? Any flood issues? How are the schools? It is a good area to live? I saw some pictures but it looks a very crowded street with a lot of houses next to each other. Please provide me with any cons and pros if you are familiar with the area. Thanks so much…[/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2012, 11:35 AM

1,450 posts, read 3,452,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by borisplata View Post
[SIZE=3]Help: I am trying to find out how is the area by Robert st in Rockaway nj? Is this a safe area? Any flood issues? How are the schools? It is a good area to live? I saw some pictures but it looks a very crowded street with a lot of houses next to each other. Please provide me with any cons and pros if you are familiar with the area. Thanks so much…[/SIZE]

Robert St. is located in a housing development near Morris Hills HS. I believe the homes are on about 1/4 acre lots. It is situated far enough away from the river, so you do not have to worry about flooding. (you are also uphill from it) The area is middle class/blue collar-ish and generally considered safe. (as a single female, I would not worry about walking around the area at all, but I would make sure to lock my car doors when parked there so my radio/gps would not grow feet.) Rockaway Twp's schools are not the best the state has to offer, but they are far from bad. You'd be close to good shopping, (there is a wonderful Shop Rite about a mile away that is open 24 hours) pretty easy access to both rte 46 and rte 80, which is a definite plus. Rockaway Twp also has a very large, active and popular rec program for the kids with all types of sports to keep the kids busy.

HTH
KoalaNJ

Old 10-05-2012, 06:09 AM

116 posts, read 238,756 times
Rockaway Twp high school is ranked one of the top 75 in the state. Good enough for me.

Old 10-05-2012, 10:23 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,139,900 times
I have friends that live in that area and for the most part its fine. They have told me of home break-ins in the area but nothing more than average. Yes the lots are small but if you want a large lot anywhere in north Jersey expect to pay big bucks and high taxes.

Old 10-05-2012, 11:18 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,418,446 times
If Im not mistaken, Robert St. is in Rockaway boro, HS w/b Morris Hills (v Morris Knolls for Rky Tsp students) but ditto to everything else posted.

Old 10-06-2012, 11:00 AM

1,450 posts, read 3,452,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeycrisp View Post
If Im not mistaken, Robert St. is in Rockaway boro, HS w/b Morris Hills (v Morris Knolls for Rky Tsp students) but ditto to everything else posted.

From what I can tell looking at the maps, Robert St is right on the border of the Twp and the Boro...some of the homes are in the Twp and some in the boro.

KoalaNJ

Old 10-06-2012, 09:16 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,418,446 times
That sounds about right (twp and boro), it's been a while but I think both HS's are pretty similar (sister schools, somewhat) ;-)

Old 10-08-2012, 09:46 AM

40 posts, read 140,724 times
Morris hills would be the school near Robert St.

Morris Hills takes on students from Rockaway Boro, Wharton and a section of Rockaway Township. A few random people with a Dover mailing address may end up there also. Morris Knolls takes the other half of Rockaway Township and the kids from Denville.

That area is safe regarding crime. That street is safe from flooding also. The only places that really flood are near the Rockaway River. The schools aren't half bad either. I graduated from morris hills 13 years go, spent a large chunk of my life in Rockaway Twp before moving to essex county. My parents still reside in the town. It was ranked a decent high school then. It is your typical morris county town, Close to most major highways and malls and fairly congested. It is mostly a working middle class town. There are some lower class families mixed in as well as some wealthier upper class families.

Yes, some punk high school kids may randomly break into your car and steal your ipod that you accidentally left sitting on your dash board over night. On mischief night you may find your mailbox smashed in the street. You may find your neighbors 16yo kid drunk or high peeing in your front lawn. But hey, that could happen anywhere in suburban morris county. Lock your doors at night and exercise common sense and you would be fine. In the end it is definitely a safe area.

Old 12-11-2012, 09:32 AM

21 posts, read 64,902 times
Hi:
I am sorry to bother you..but you seem very familiar with rockaway...I may live in the arear close to mountain rd behind the Morris High Scholl..I just worry about the traffic and noise from the school and there is a big football field. The property is really behind the school property so I am not aware if the traffic and kids will not go there two much...I have small kids so I want to make sure that they will be safe..any feedback will be very appreciated..Thanks..

Old 12-14-2012, 10:11 AM

40 posts, read 140,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by borisplata View Post
Hi:
I am sorry to bother you..but you seem very familiar with rockaway...I may live in the arear close to mountain rd behind the Morris High Scholl..I just worry about the traffic and noise from the school and there is a big football field. The property is really behind the school property so I am not aware if the traffic and kids will not go there two much...I have small kids so I want to make sure that they will be safe..any feedback will be very appreciated..Thanks..
The property behind the school is quiet compared the street where the main school entrances are. There is a lot less traffic there. It will be safe for you and your children.

As for noise, it really won't be too bad. During the fall and spring the football field and track surrounding the field get used on weekends for sport events. Expect noise and traffic those times. People like to park on the side streets and cut through the back of the school to get the to field sometimes. I am not sure if the boro has placed no street parking signs on any of those surrounding streets. When I was in school there/growing up you could park on those streets during the day but not the streets leading into the school's main entrance. Otherwise during the day it is fairly quiet. You may hear gym classes when they have class up there but that is about it.

The only other time those surrounding back streets get jammed up is during school graduation in June. That is normally held in the football field and they usually open the back gates up and have people park behind the field.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey