U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 04:17 PM

599 posts, read 939,746 times

Advertisements

I was looking up grocery stores in the East Hanover area and came across a few articles about Wegmans coming to Whippany. It would be at the intersection of Ridgedale and Sylvan, off of route 10, just west of 287.

Anybody heard of this? Talk about a game change for the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2012, 04:37 PM

3,248 posts, read 6,263,677 times
Were they recent articles? I remember something a couple of years back when Wegmans wanted open on rt 10 near a condo / townhouse complex but the residents voted it down over traffice concerns. Arrggh.

Old 10-05-2012, 04:40 PM

599 posts, read 939,746 times
This summer...

Old 10-05-2012, 05:11 PM

1,179 posts, read 1,122,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic78 View Post
I was looking up grocery stores in the East Hanover area and came across a few articles about Wegmans coming to Whippany. It would be at the intersection of Ridgedale and Sylvan, off of route 10, just west of 287.

Anybody heard of this? Talk about a game change for the area.

Apparently it is a done deal, according to articles in The Daily Record, Food | Daily Record | dailyrecord.com as well as mentions in the local Patch Wegmans Plans to Move to Morris County - Morris Township-Morris Plains, NJ Patch

I personally am looking forward to the store opening...

Last edited by KoalaNJ; 10-05-2012 at 05:25 PM..

Old 10-05-2012, 05:59 PM

3,043 posts, read 8,139,091 times
We have one here in Monmouth County (Manalapan). We shop there all the time. Some things like produce and meat are sometimes a little pricey, but the quality is top notch.

Old 10-05-2012, 06:25 PM

5,582 posts, read 5,243,080 times
One of the fallacies about Wegmans is that they are more expensive than the competition.
Imagine my surprise when I noticed that most of the items that I typically buy each week were cheaper at Wegmans than at Shop-Rite.
No, not...let's say...7 cents cheaper. More like 70 cents cheaper!

Wegmans makes most of their profit from the "value-added" departments, including the bakery, take-out, and prepared foods, and these items can get pricey. For so-called staple items, they are almost always cheaper than Shop-Rite. And, since Shop-Rite is cheaper than Pathmark, A & P, and Stop & Shop, that makes Wegmans a bargain--relatively speaking.

And, it should go without saying that the quality and the selection at Wegmans are superior to what you typically find at their competitors.

Old 10-05-2012, 08:39 PM

3,357 posts, read 5,309,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
One of the fallacies about Wegmans is that they are more expensive than the competition.
Imagine my surprise when I noticed that most of the items that I typically buy each week were cheaper at Wegmans than at Shop-Rite.
No, not...let's say...7 cents cheaper. More like 70 cents cheaper!

Wegmans makes most of their profit from the "value-added" departments, including the bakery, take-out, and prepared foods, and these items can get pricey. For so-called staple items, they are almost always cheaper than Shop-Rite. And, since Shop-Rite is cheaper than Pathmark, A & P, and Stop & Shop, that makes Wegmans a bargain--relatively speaking.

And, it should go without saying that the quality and the selection at Wegmans are superior to what you typically find at their competitors.
They also do not compensate their employees as well as the unionized competition, which pays its long term employees a respectable wage with solid benefits.

Old 10-05-2012, 09:05 PM

1,179 posts, read 1,122,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
They also do not compensate their employees as well as the unionized competition, which pays its long term employees a respectable wage with solid benefits.

While you are correct that Wegmans is not a union shop they have been singled out by Money Magazine, Fortune Magazine as well as CNN as one of the best companies to work for several times over the past few years And they have been praised for their employment policies, compensation, and benefits. Their pay of (just shy of) 30K a year for a customer service clerk position is pretty good, IMHO.

KoalaNJ

Last edited by KoalaNJ; 10-05-2012 at 09:32 PM..

Old 10-05-2012, 10:10 PM

3,357 posts, read 5,309,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoalaNJ View Post
While you are correct that Wegmans is not a union shop they have been singled out by Money Magazine, Fortune Magazine as well as CNN as one of the best companies to work for several times over the past few years And they have been praised for their employment policies, compensation, and benefits. Their pay of (just shy of) 30K a year for a customer service clerk position is pretty good, IMHO.

KoalaNJ
Do you consider those wages to be adequate? I do not.

Grocery store workers shouldn't make under $400 for a 40 hour work week.... I don't think that is a radical position.
Attached Thumbnails
Wegmans coming to Whippany?-wegmans.png  

Old 10-06-2012, 01:19 AM

3,301 posts, read 3,112,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
Do you consider those wages to be adequate? I do not.

Grocery store workers shouldn't make under $400 for a 40 hour work week.... I don't think that is a radical position.
You know, it gets me a bit crazed when someone declares what someone else should make to do a job. You have no say in this matter. Neither do I. It is a private agreement between the employer and the employee. If the employer offers, and the employee accepts, they are getting EXACTLY enough for the job in question. Let the free market decide these things. We don't need unions screwing it up. They are anachronistic, discredited, and are a proven cause of job loss and economic outsourcing, not to mention institutionalized mediocrity and inefficiency.

I introduce into evidence People's Exhibit A: EUROPE.

Nobody needs to stick their noses into any of this. Let Wegmans open the joint and offer what they want to pay. If someone says yes and shows up for work, that is ALL that anyone needs to know.

By the way, I have long experience with Wegmans, having gone to college in Syracuse. GREAT STORE! We're all in for a treat. Non-union shop? Even better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey