Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 05:52 PM

1,446 posts, read 4,597,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Yes, it was the 70's for me, too! I even remember wanting to appear more wordly, as I thought my goody-two shoes appearance kept me from being accepted. I actually asked one of my friends (who was way more wordly than me) to teach me how to smoke cigarettes! The first puff, I coughed my guts up, got dizzy enough to have to lay down in the dirt (we were in the woods near school). Once the dizziness and coughing passed, I got up and took another puff.
OOOOOOOOOOOO! Looks like you were real bad-ass! A cigarette! Oh no! LOL!

Seriously, rebellion is part of growing up. Every kid goes through a stage where they rebel, experiment or act out! It is a part of growing up and I think it is natural. However, many kids rebel too much and go down a slippery slope to addiction, jail or worse. So how do we allow for and come to terms with a moderate form of teenage rebellion that does not lead to much worse? What I am trying to say is how does a parent go about properly handling normal teenage rebellion without letting it evolve into much worse. I smoked cigarettes in high school, but I eventually outgrew it. The cigarettes never evolved into weed. I did not cross that line. However, I think this was due to the lack of a social life I had. I was a real misfit and very slightly problematic. The other kids did not like me too much so I kept to myself after school. I never got into serious trouble, but I also did not relate well to my peers. Hence, as a loner, I did not face much peer pressure to experiment. That is why I do not have any idea on how a parent should properly manage teenage rebellion so that it does not evolve into something worse. My personal experience with growing up does not apply to most kids. Hence, I have to ask the people in this thread how parents should manage rebellion and experimentation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2012, 07:09 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,208,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lentzr View Post
So how do we allow for and come to terms with a moderate form of teenage rebellion that does not lead to much worse?
You can't. If you allow for it, the teen can't rebel against it. And if you try to take advantage by being overly restrictive and giving your teen dumb stuff to rebel against, they'll go totally wild.

Old 10-13-2012, 06:28 AM

50,768 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lentzr View Post
OOOOOOOOOOOO! Looks like you were real bad-ass! A cigarette! Oh no! LOL!

Seriously, rebellion is part of growing up. Every kid goes through a stage where they rebel, experiment or act out! It is a part of growing up and I think it is natural. However, many kids rebel too much and go down a slippery slope to addiction, jail or worse. So how do we allow for and come to terms with a moderate form of teenage rebellion that does not lead to much worse? What I am trying to say is how does a parent go about properly handling normal teenage rebellion without letting it evolve into much worse. I smoked cigarettes in high school, but I eventually outgrew it. The cigarettes never evolved into weed. I did not cross that line. However, I think this was due to the lack of a social life I had. I was a real misfit and very slightly problematic. The other kids did not like me too much so I kept to myself after school. I never got into serious trouble, but I also did not relate well to my peers. Hence, as a loner, I did not face much peer pressure to experiment. That is why I do not have any idea on how a parent should properly manage teenage rebellion so that it does not evolve into something worse. My personal experience with growing up does not apply to most kids. Hence, I have to ask the people in this thread how parents should manage rebellion and experimentation.
The cigarettes were only the beginning (the gateway drug, so to speak). I too was unpopular, except for the other outcasts, who in my school happened to be delinquents, druggies, etc.

It wasn't about rebellion for me, so I can't answer your particular question for parents. For me it was a combination of low self-esteem, a desire to escape what to me was a painful reality, a willingness to do anything to feel accepted, and a parent who wasn't around enough to supervise me.

Old 11-29-2013, 03:07 PM

22 posts, read 54,626 times
hi lentzr,

I just read this string of posts on this topic. We want to move back to NJ from Houston, TX where we live right now. I have 2 kids, ages 9 and 13, and this is something we as parents worry about. My kids are awesome and we spend a lot of time together. What's your general feeling about raising kids in NJ? I'm a pretty involved mom. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Old 11-29-2013, 04:58 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,387,152 times
Drugs and alcohol abuse is a never ending problem because it starts with young people and as we all know young people think addiction only happens to other people.

You have all heard people say "I can drive while drinking because I can hold my liquor."
Young people can also stop taking drugs anytime they want because "I can control my drug use"
Young people can also text and drive because they are smarter than everybody else.

We can never stop drugs from being imported here because too many people make too much money on it.
The drug cartels either pay off people of they kill them or their kids so they will never be stopped.

I remember back in the 50's only bad kids from the cities were drug users now it's in every town and neighborhood in every state.

I won't be around in another 1/4 century but I can guarantee drugs will be.

For those of you who think your kids will never take drugs, don't bet the farm on it you need a reality check.

I still have pictures of my little boy from over 40 years ago, I have no idea where he is now.

Old 11-29-2013, 05:59 PM

88,567 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turjcxg View Post
hi lentzr,

I just read this string of posts on this topic. We want to move back to NJ from Houston, TX where we live right now. I have 2 kids, ages 9 and 13, and this is something we as parents worry about. My kids are awesome and we spend a lot of time together. What's your general feeling about raising kids in NJ? I'm a pretty involved mom. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.
I raised a daughter in NJ. She is fine. Never gave me any trouble, not even the usual teenage snotty girl bs. She isn't perfect, don't get me wrong, but she was a good student, didn't drink or use drugs in high school, is compassionate and a person of good character, and graduated from college with two degrees this past May.

Being a "pretty involved mom" helps a lot. You will face the same dangers in raising children no matter what state you live in.

Old 11-30-2013, 09:40 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,240,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
My brother used heroin intravenously back in the late 70s. ... no one ever suggested he get tested for Hepatitis C.
Really? People were aware of & testing for Hep even before there was HIV. I knew people who were contacting it in the early '70s. Who needed others to suggest testing?
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
We can never stop drugs from being imported here because too many people make too much money on it.
Plenty of stuff being manufactured in this country as well.
It's certainly big down the Shore:
http://www.app.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art...=2013310240127
"Ninety-three people have died because of drug overdoses in the county since the beginning of the year, and three more deaths may be deemed overdoses once toxicology reports are completed"

Last edited by bigjake54; 11-30-2013 at 09:52 PM..

Old 11-30-2013, 10:14 PM

1,202 posts, read 3,029,253 times
My parents were savages who raised me in the drug and booze ridden hell that is NJ. I still to this day enjoy beer and the occasional herbal refreshment. It has caused me to have a well paying job where I continue to climb the corporate ladders and a spacious apartment. I can never forgive them.

Old 12-01-2013, 06:55 AM

88,567 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjake54 View Post
Really? People were aware of & testing for Hep even before there was HIV. I knew people who were contacting it in the early '70s. Who needed others to suggest testing?

Plenty of stuff being manufactured in this country as well.
It's certainly big down the Shore:
http://www.app.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art...=2013310240127
"Ninety-three people have died because of drug overdoses in the county since the beginning of the year, and three more deaths may be deemed overdoses once toxicology reports are completed"
He stopped using around the time that HIV became known. He was tested for HIV but never Hep C. I don't know why he wasn't tested or if he knew enough to ask to be tested and just didn't.

Old 12-01-2013, 07:27 AM

19,125 posts, read 25,323,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenaperture View Post
I continue to climb the corporate ladders and a spacious apartment.
You're climbing your spacious apartment?
Doesn't that leave footprints on the walls?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey