U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2007, 03:42 PM

10 posts, read 33,930 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking of buying a house (around 450K) in Montclair, but need some advice

- what's a good agent to work with? Currently starting with Remax
- what are property prices like in Montclair (I understand they're pretty high...)
- how's transportation to Manhattan?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2007, 05:37 PM

2,736 posts, read 9,342,393 times
Transportation is good by train or bus. I think you might have a tough time getting a house for that price. RE taxes are quite high. Please drive around the area if your agent has a house to show you. There are parts of Montclair that I consider undesirable; you may also. You should also consider Bloomfield where houses are a bit less as are the taxes.

Old 10-09-2007, 02:57 PM

56 posts, read 262,303 times
Default Montclair

Yes, to Montclair. I have yet to come across anyone that has moved here and not enjoyed being here. And, I am a local agent and myself a transplanted New Yorker...ton of us are here! The town, much like several surrounding towns, has real reasons for many to move to the area. It is commutable to NYC if you need that or want to enjoy the city. However, I admit that I don't go into NY as much as others do for entertainment...who needs the crowds, parking, expense. It is a lovely, fun, progressive place with tons of amenities; movies, theatre, art, restaurants. All that young singles and couples, families can enjoy...mass appeal is hard to come by in many towns. Of course, there's always a price for the pluses and I'm not crazy about the taxes, but there are trade-offs. I think there's many good agents in town...some of us are great...sorry, had to. If at any time, you'd like more info, feel free to email me privately. Good luck and welcome!
Elaine

Old 01-26-2008, 05:26 PM

1 posts, read 3,531 times
which parts of Montclair would you consider to be undesirable? We are about to move to Montclair as well and think of buying a house there sometime nxt year; this might help us to do our research based on your input as well. Thank you. esma

Old 01-27-2008, 12:41 PM

12,284 posts, read 30,944,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esma View Post
which parts of Montclair would you consider to be undesirable? We are about to move to Montclair as well and think of buying a house there sometime nxt year; this might help us to do our research based on your input as well. Thank you. esma
i lived in montclair for awhile and wanted to give a little perspective on what I think the answer may be re: undesireable areas. I *think* (and I'll let some of the more knowledgable members of the forum correct me) I lived in a so-called undesirable area - i lived off grove, south of watchung. i loved living there and never, ever, felt unsafe (and I was in my early 20's at that point). compared to the areas closer to Upper Montclair, yes, it wasn't as nice, but compared to almost anywhere in newark and paterson for instance, it was paradise.

i truly adore montclair.

Old 01-27-2008, 01:32 PM

2,736 posts, read 9,342,393 times
Actually, I was thinking more along the lines of Mission St (as undesirable)...I like Montclair too. I used to live near the museum. Great location; walk to everything.

Old 01-27-2008, 07:00 PM

12,284 posts, read 30,944,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brookdaleresident View Post
Actually, I was thinking more along the lines of Mission St (as undesirable)...I like Montclair too. I used to live near the museum. Great location; walk to everything.
ok...I had to google maps to see where Mission St. was - I was on the other side of Bloomfield Ave. Yes, I do remember that area as being not so nice...

Old 01-30-2008, 09:57 PM

119 posts, read 484,802 times
I live in the town next to Montclair. It is a great town with shopping, restaurants, things to do, etc. However, definitely drive around the area of any homes you look at and like. There are definitely areas of Montclair that are better and those that are undesirable. You won't find much for $450,000 in Montclair and property taxes are very high as well, but its possible. Transportation to NYC from Montclair is a cinch as it has direct trains to NYC from a few different train stations in town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or