U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2012, 07:28 AM

15,312 posts, read 17,300,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFull View Post
The NJ program has run out of money.
Are you sure? The links I listed are current. Do you have a link to share?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2012, 07:31 AM

6,763 posts, read 6,891,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFBonnett View Post
Ask whoever suggested this how much of a kickback they're going to get from the guy doing this "sweep".
The house next to me was just sold and a "sweep" was done. He rolled up just behind the realtor, the realtor left and the guy wasn't there 10 minutes.
This is nonsense. We get $0 from anyone - oil tank sweeper, home inspector, mortgage brokers, attorneys, stagers, what have you. $0. I refer people who I believe will perform best - period.

Old 10-20-2012, 07:41 AM

6,138 posts, read 10,572,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Are you sure? The links I listed are current. Do you have a link to share?
The first paragraph on your second link says this;
Quote:
Due to insufficient funds, the New Jersey Economic Development Authority (EDA) is no longer accepting new applications for the Petroleum Underground Storage Tank Remediation, Upgrade and Closure Program for non-leaking tanks, effective May 3, 2011..
I haven't had to deal with any tanks recently, but I believe they are still taking grant applications for LEAKING tanks. They will hold those applications and process them if & when they receive additional funds.

Old 10-20-2012, 09:04 AM

15,312 posts, read 17,300,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
The first paragraph on your second link says this;

I haven't had to deal with any tanks recently, but I believe they are still taking grant applications for LEAKING tanks. They will hold those applications and process them if & when they receive additional funds.
Thank you. I appreciate that information. I believe the grants are federal.

Old 10-21-2012, 01:16 AM

913 posts, read 712,239 times
Get the sweep.

Old 02-04-2015, 04:34 PM

3 posts, read 3,532 times
Get the sweep…..better safe than sorry...

Old 03-30-2015, 10:04 AM

2 posts, read 2,713 times
Default What if seller says oil tank was removed without permit?

Hello,

I am looking to buy a property that had (or maybe still has?) an underground oil tank. There was an old house on the property that used heating oil. The current seller says he demolished the old house and built a new, larger house. At that time he removed the oil tank, but without permits, so there is no record of removal.

The seller says the oil tank had no leaks, and that the town building inspector would not have approved if there had been oil contamination. According to the seller, the tank was located below where the current concrete driveway is.

The town does not appear to have any record of oil tank on the property, based on an OPRA request.

So now,
1. Can an oil sweep conclusively determine if there is/not any contamination? I assume there is no way to test the soil below the driveway without breaking it up.

2. Is it possible to get any clearance from the town or NJ DEP, with some form of testing and sweep?

3. If answer to #2 above is no, what are the consequences if I go ahead and purchase this property?

Thanks guys for any help.

Old 03-30-2015, 10:17 AM

8,799 posts, read 15,209,699 times
1. No
2. No
3. You would have to pay for any clean-up in the future if there is any, Any Future buyer will be asking you the same question you are asking now.

Old 03-30-2015, 10:28 AM

2,256 posts, read 5,750,091 times
Omg seriously get the sweep whether its required or not...you're paying hundreds of thousands of dollars on a home and the ramifications if there is an underground oil tank that is leaking and the EPA finds out, you will be responsible for the cleanup which would be tens of thousands of dollars. Why even chance it. Even if a house is new, how do you know if a previous house wasn't knocked down before in its place that could've had one? I consider the oil sweep a must do like the home inspection. And I had the sweep ordered after my own research into buying houses in NJ...my realtor didn't even bring it up. So someones mention about a kickback for real estate agents is just ridiculous (although I'm sure its happened before since this is NJ but its definitely not the norm)

Old 03-30-2015, 10:28 AM

2,404 posts, read 1,503,455 times
So you have a seller who has no interest in getting a permit to do the job right the first time who is now coming clean to tell you that everything is just fine and you have nothing to worry about even though they've never actually performed any kind of actual science to determine if they are correct and you believe anything else that they say about the property? I'd be counting bathrooms three times in that house if that was my seller.

Put in your bid that you'll be doing a sweep and getting soil tested and that the deal is off if anything turns up. If they don't accept your offer then that's your real answer to if things ever went wrong in the past. I'm willing to bet they're looking for a sucker who is just going to take them at their word. Trust, but verify, as the saying goes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or
View detailed profiles of: