U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 11:55 AM

2 posts, read 3,409 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the answers guys.

To clarify, yes absolutely I would do a sweep for tanks, so if there was still a tank that would be found. And I do have concerns about the seller's credibility, since he has changed answers on so many aspects of this issue.

But assuming the sweep finds no tank, and since the property has been built up (house/garage/driveway on top of oil tank location), is there a way to determine there is no contamination underground. Your answers above say/imply No. The biggest problem is that I'd have to take the seller's word on where the tank had been located. Soil testing only tests a specific, small area, correct? - it would not be possible/feasible to test soil on the entire property, including under built-up area?

Thanks..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2015, 12:00 PM

8,939 posts, read 15,754,342 times
Sounds like you should walk away from this one,

or require the seller to buy you a transferable oil liability protection policy good for ?? 20 ?? years, as part of the deal.

Old 03-30-2015, 01:04 PM

2,649 posts, read 1,693,316 times
If you're still serious about this one call up a soil testing service and explain it all to them. They'll be able to tell you if they can take samples from a few locations or if they have the technology to do a small unobstrusive core sample from the driveway. I don't know but they totally can tell you how they can help out.

But frankly, I'm nervous you'd be throwing good money after bad on this seller, their shady actions would make me nervous. Might be a hell of a property though. Best of luck either way.

Old 08-01-2018, 08:20 AM

2 posts, read 245 times
Keep in mind too, prior to the major overhaul of underground oil tank regulations in the 80's, lots of homeowners just left tanks abandoned in place, leaking or not, and switch to aboveground tanks or gas. The cost of an oil tank sweep is minimal compared to the potential out of pocket cost of soil remediation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or