U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 06:52 AM

12,928 posts, read 24,052,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
yes, the majority of residents receive government assistance, in one form or another
combination of that & "white flight"
sadly East Orange is a ghetto and over run with gangs

Old 10-10-2007, 07:48 AM

1,446 posts, read 4,413,110 times
Government assistance programs and the like have been a national failure and you can see this in areas all over the U.S. There are plenty of people in this town who are aware of this fact as well. Some of them are working people who do not commit crimes. East Orange was not a utopia in 1970. Not even close. Someone is inaccurate again on here. Hum.

Old 10-11-2007, 01:16 PM

625 posts, read 3,262,392 times
My boyfriend lives in East Orange and although it does look seedy, There are alot of police cars patroling the area;
Whenever I go over there I see an overload of cops riding around the area which is great if they are actually patrolling the area and doing what they should. I live in Paterson and I am sure you all hear the horror stories of what is Paterson (an abundance of illegal immigrants, welfare recipients, and they all have this idea of entitlement) I rarely see a police officer patrol anything and if they do they will just drive by as the people hang on the corners and in front of liquor stores. I don't think Paterson can ever be cleaned up but I do know that me and my mate are out of here and heading to Atlanta for greener (and cheaper) pastures for those who actually work for what they get.

Old 10-11-2007, 01:24 PM

29,617 posts, read 65,648,793 times
Two words for you---"Urban sprawl." When the entirety of a well-established city's middle-class flees to the suburbs, the end results usually aren't pretty. I've seen the same phenomenon occur in many Pennsylvania cities as well. It's a vicious cycle. People won't move back into the cities until they clean up their act. The cities can't clean up their acts until more people move in to rebuild the tax base and pour money into the city's coffers so that they have the resources to spend on more police officers, better infrastructure, etc. It's a Catch-22.

Old 10-11-2007, 08:44 PM

4,084 posts, read 7,904,784 times
We had a printing company at 51 main st. right on the Orange, East Orange line where the old Rickles lumber was. The neighborhood wasn't that bad but over the years it went further and further down hill. They closed the huge projects down towards Newark and leveled them in the early 90's well they had to go somewhere so they went into East and South Orange and into Orange as well but the problems stopped there. The just cannot get past the cemetary and into West Orange. The people just won't let it happen. We were in the Barton Press building for a while in West Orange behind the Edsion memorial and museum and that wasn't a bad area, it was most industrial but there was this restaurant "Julios" and it used to be called "Sunny's" man they had awesome food and good crowd. There are some houses in the Oranges that would blow away people if they only knew the history of that area. The wealth that was in the Oranges was grand and the houses are still there to prove it, but now they are all apartments and slums in the mansions of old. Lets not for get Pal's Cabin in Eagle Rock, the soup, the soup, mmmmmmhhhhhhh

Old 10-12-2007, 07:38 PM

1 posts, read 6,172 times
Default Yep, I moved and Returned to NJ

Big shocker. Twenty seven years in Jersey City and the now residence think they own the city. The territorial rate has spread throughout most parts of the states from the north to south. I, presently, live in Bradley Beach and although it has it's prosperous areas, most of them are surrounded by ... make your own decision. I am surrounded by disrespectful illegal alliens that criticized the American people directly to my face. They jumped the border...guess which? and as God as my witness, shouted to me while drunk as a skunk,.... "Hey, you Americans are stuuupppid....we come here make a lot of money. have everything and own houses in ......M ...... Yeah, you are stupid Americans...we use you and become rich in our country.

It has gotten so bad here...that these illegal alliens blast their country's music and drink for hours throughout the night all the way to the early morning hours...five am....etc. then, wake up at seven and blast their music again.... I have not gotten one night of peaceful sleep for an entire year. I wake up to broken beer bottles all over the parking area, the stench of human urine, litter all over and this morning, I stepped in vomit right near the trunk of my car, absolute slobs but we dear not say anything because we would be labeled as predujice.

Police can only do so much. Something has to be done and not just talk. Sad how disrespectful some of these alliens are to us Americans and we have to be the ones walking on eggshells. If we visited or lived in their country and were as disrespectful...we,definetly, would not get a slap on the hand!

Move...ha, yep, as if, I can afford it. But why should I have to move and give these inconsiderate low lives the last apartment rented to an American.
Why should they always get their ways? My landlord is a American and does not give a damn, he says... hey, as long as they pay the rent, I do not care how many live in the apartment. It is so sad how these land owners do not give a damn for others, only their mighty dollar.

Old 10-13-2007, 02:28 PM

174 posts, read 381,015 times
I was only 18 when I left East Orange, back in 1970. And, yeah, it wasn't paradise, crime had begun to creep up, but it was still a swell town. I got jumped twice while still in High School, but I cracked it up to "that's life".

EO still had fine luxury apartment buildings, excellent housing stock, and a strong employment profile. I know East Orange is now majority black, but this and in of itself means nothing. There is no institution in America more "diverse" than the military, and I made the USMC my career. And there are thousands of majority "black" towns that have not met this fate. I will not jump on the bandwagon that says that black automatically equates with crime or poverty.

I live in California, so I am at a steep disadvantage here. My question is how did such a town that had so much in so many aspects suffer this fate. Quite frankly, I would never have expected such a draconian shift; other towns, sure, but not EO.

I've read the other posts, and what's done is done. But I truly hope my old home town continues to advance and improve. The superb infrastructure still exists to a large part.

Yeah, it's mostly nostalgia, but I still am fond of Good Old East Orange. She'll come back!

Old 10-13-2007, 07:00 PM

3,859 posts, read 9,170,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo1st View Post
Big shocker. Twenty seven years in Jersey City and the now residence think they own the city. The territorial rate has spread throughout most parts of the states from the north to south. I, presently, live in Bradley Beach and although it has it's prosperous areas, most of them are surrounded by ... make your own decision. I am surrounded by disrespectful illegal alliens that criticized the American people directly to my face. They jumped the border...guess which? and as God as my witness, shouted to me while drunk as a skunk,.... "Hey, you Americans are stuuupppid....we come here make a lot of money. have everything and own houses in ......M ...... Yeah, you are stupid Americans...we use you and become rich in our country.

It has gotten so bad here...that these illegal alliens blast their country's music and drink for hours throughout the night all the way to the early morning hours...five am....etc. then, wake up at seven and blast their music again.... I have not gotten one night of peaceful sleep for an entire year. I wake up to broken beer bottles all over the parking area, the stench of human urine, litter all over and this morning, I stepped in vomit right near the trunk of my car, absolute slobs but we dear not say anything because we would be labeled as predujice.

Police can only do so much. Something has to be done and not just talk. Sad how disrespectful some of these alliens are to us Americans and we have to be the ones walking on eggshells. If we visited or lived in their country and were as disrespectful...we,definetly, would not get a slap on the hand!

Move...ha, yep, as if, I can afford it. But why should I have to move and give these inconsiderate low lives the last apartment rented to an American.
Why should they always get their ways? My landlord is a American and does not give a damn, he says... hey, as long as they pay the rent, I do not care how many live in the apartment. It is so sad how these land owners do not give a damn for others, only their mighty dollar.
Agreed. NJ is one of the states with the highest illegal alien population. It is horrible what our politicians have allowed to happen not only in NJ but the entire country. If you take away all the illegal aliens and send them home, there would be so much less crime, etc. These are people who should not be here! It is an outright lie that they do the jobs that Americans refuse to do-lies!. Greedy employers hire illegals under the table without benefits and pay them supressed wages instead of providing qualified Americans a livable wage. They are disrespectful because our government does nothing they laugh at us while they ruin our towns and bleed American and legal immigrants of their last dime to pay for ESL, hospitals and other freebies. They are not "hardworkers trying to feed their familes". They have broken the law-first by coming here ILLEGALLY and second usually by committing id theft to provide someone elses ssn# to get a job. In Nevada, something like 10% of all children have had their ssn#'s stolen. If you have a child, I suggest you get him/her a free credit report-don't wait until they are 18. Everyone-including kids-is entitled to one free credit report a year.

I know illegals come from all countries, but just to make a point, Mexico's 1st biggest industy is tourism. The second largest industy is $$ wired back to Mexico from the USA. So they get welfare and other freebies and cry poverty-yet they send all types of money back there that should remain in the American economy. People need to wake up and demand current immigration laws be enforced. We do not need new laws. People need to stop buying into the lie that ILLEGAL aliens are needed and also stop buying into the "If you are against illegals you are a racist" nonsense. I am refering to Illegal aliens, not legal immigrants who came the right way.

Old 10-14-2007, 10:00 AM

15 posts, read 56,538 times
Default So sick of this!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by topster7 View Post
I returned to New Jersey from California last July to visit family. I had left in 1970 and was sooo homesick. East Orange had been such a great town! My son and his family had picked me up at Newark Airport. They live in Hackettstown, (a beautiful small town), and got nervous when I asked them to drive through good old EO for old times sake. My son is a service brat, (I'm retired Marine Corps), and he had never lived there. I just cracked it up to being "overly" cautious. It was still daylight, so they humored the old man. I was heartbroken at how bad the town had gotten. At a stop light on Prospect and Park Avenue, my 8 year old grand-daughter was frightened when several teen boys stared at us with hostility and one smacked the minivan and asked "What the blank are you lookin at." The whole place was seedy and rundown. Of course we got out of there with no further explorations of my old haunts. Still, how had it gotten to this point; what had once been one of the most vibrant and forward thinking small cities in New Jersey was now like a foreign country to me. How did so much promise and treasure get squandered?
I'm so SICK OF HEARING PEOPLE SAY CRAP ABOUT CERTAIN TOWNS. Lets stay focused here. Not everyone in East Orange is on welfare, section 8, or gang bang for a living. I live in East Orange and have so since I was 11yrs old. We own a house and guess what, I go to work for a living and I own a small business. Watch out now I even attended Rutgers Univ.

Get a grip on yourself and your memories. No place will ever be the same as you left it and that's a fact. It is unfortunate that you had a group of teenagers smack your minivan but hey..... last time I checked teenagers are weird regardless of where they live or their race. Be honest the real reason you have this fear is that your old neighborhood went black while you were gone. East Orange has law abiding citizens here--I and my family are honest people. We mow our lawn, sweep our sidewalk, and pay taxes ($11,000 to be exact). Sure not all citizens are honest, but I know Hackettstown has criminals who are polite and won't smack your minivan because their busy rippin you off on a higher level (identity thieft, cocaine sales, etc.).

IMO I think you should ride through and take a look at your old neighborhood or stop remarking that folks in a particular city are all criminals or welfare folks. My mother (well into her 60's) moved into East Orange in the 50's when blacks were not welcomed and she comments on the changes she remembers back when she was a teenager. She at times is hurt by the changes also, but she can tell me stories of how cruel the affluent blacks in the town were treated back then. However, I don't call all whites bigots. Direct your anger where it belongs and not on a whole city.

PS... for all you other East Orange haters... go shove it. You've got drug spots, and welfare recipents in your own neighborhoods your just better at hiding it. I work in an excutive office for social service programs and we have programs for users, pushers, and low income people throughout the state. Even in Hackettstown New Jersey we got a clinic. It's set up as a doctors office. ~Autumn

Old 10-14-2007, 10:00 AM

1,446 posts, read 4,413,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topster7 View Post
EO still had fine luxury apartment buildings, excellent housing stock, and a strong employment profile. I know East Orange is now majority black, but this and in of itself means nothing. There is no institution in America more "diverse" than the military, and I made the USMC my career. And there are thousands of majority "black" towns that have not met this fate. I will not jump on the bandwagon that says that black automatically equates with crime or poverty.

I live in California, so I am at a steep disadvantage here. My question is how did such a town that had so much in so many aspects suffer this fate. Quite frankly, I would never have expected such a draconian shift; other towns, sure, but not EO.
There it is again. The word diverse. The military is a world onto itself. Not the real world at all. The concept of a diversity has nothing to do with modern day urban realities you are speaking of- poverty, crime, education, etc.

It should not be a surprise that the middle-income mostly white populace fled this town. This is most definitely eqauted with poverty and low-income realities. Anyone who does not see that is living on Mars. The majority of the "thousands of towns" you speak of are located in the southern U.S. which also happens to have its own unique basis/history. Black communities with a strong base like that don't exist almost anywhere else in the U.S. -A town where the majority stay on a base is not relevant.

You can not expect to get an education on this issue here on city-data. Most people who post here do not have first hand experience with places like this. Why not challenge yourself and do the hard work of learning about these issues. This is complex subject matter and it requires a commitment on anyone's part if they are going to learn anything substansial. The immigrant experience (legal or not) is not the history of the majority of persons in this town. When speaking of native Americans do you constantly bring up the issue of immigration? I would guess not. It is a different issue entirely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or