Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 08:39 AM

39 posts, read 157,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hc7612 View Post
I have lit a candle and am singing Kumbaya.
You have fun with yourself, I was responding to that person's ridiculous desire for things to go "back to normal," as if things in the past were so different than they are today with respect to immigrant groups.

Old 04-02-2008, 08:50 AM

253 posts, read 1,267,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskeyecho View Post
Whoa, chill out with the hyperbole. I'm certainly not "pro" illegal immigration but these overgeneralized comments get under my skin a little bit...

Name one time in our history when one or more nationalities were NOT demonized similar to the way our society demonizes Mexicans today. Name just one period when hate towards an entire ethnic group was not "normal." Remember when the Irish and Italians came to this country en masse? How about Asians, especially Chinese and Japanese? Think about the way in which Africans were forced here, only to be treated the way they were for centuries.

America is a nation of, guess what, IMMIGRANTS! If you disagree, go argue your point with a Native American. Look how much respect the "early" European explorers showed the people who were here before them. Look how badly their communities got torn up and formed into what you see today.

And believe it or not, there are some illegal immigrants who are honest, hardworking, human beings! Some of them even, oh gosh, RESPECT others!!! And don't litter or make a mess of the town they live in! AND not all of them get any sort of free checks, money, government subsidies, or anything! I know this is a little hard to believe, because god forbid they crossed a border even though our mighty government said no, in so many words. We've come a long, long way from "give us your poor, your tired, your huddled masses trying to be free."
great points

Old 04-02-2008, 10:54 AM

3 posts, read 9,483 times
Default East Orange the New Brooklyn?

I bought a house 15 years ago when I was 20, using a small inhertitance. It a dilapitated brownstone in a "BAD" part of Brooklyn. Everyone told me that I should save my money for my future and that I was crazy for considering such a thing. After all I was a single female and the area was crime ridden. They said I should buy a small condo in a nice part of the bourough. What I saw was a big, beautiful, old house in need of major repair but with so much potential I couldn't let it pass. Standing on the front stoop I could imagine what it must have looked like when horse and carriages pulled up and affluent dwellers ended their day in what would soon be mine.
I got the same feeling when I first saw East Orange. The home I purchased there has over 15 rooms sits on a 1/4 acre of land and was built 100 years ago. I have noticed some rough areas of the town, but I also see alot of people such as myself. Hard working, forward thinking people who worry less about what it IS and more about what it WILL be. The architecture in the town is truly amazing. My home has 12 ft ceilings on the 1st and 2nd floors and 10 ft ceilings on the 3rd! In the last year 5 houses on my street have been purchased and renovated.
Did you know that on an episode of "I Love Lucy" she mentions East Orange by name?. I was doubting myself and my decision to buy there when I saw that show. It made it more clear to me then ever that neighborhoods don't change, people do. I'm doing my part, trimming back trees updating plumbing, stripping wood. It seems to me that when residents own their property and take pride in it the whole community benefits.
I will tell you this, my alarm system went off twice by accident. East Orange police were there in seconds, even the dispatcher from the alarm company couldn't believe it!
Additionally, while these arguments are raging as to whose at fault for the town failing. These fabulous properties are going up for sale at prices that are absolutely dirt cheap! I could have bought 7 of my East Orange house for the price of my Brooklyn brownstone! Which, by the way, recently appraised for well over a $1,000,000. Not to shabby for the bad side of town.

Old 04-02-2008, 11:00 AM

253 posts, read 1,267,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetieray View Post
"my alarm system went off twice by accident. East Orange police were there in seconds,"
"....recently appraised for well over a $1,000,000"
I take it that you live somewhere between Park Avenue and Dodd Street? That's the only part of EO with big beautiful homes and that area is very well taken care of.

Old 04-02-2008, 02:54 PM

45 posts, read 152,836 times
you know whats funny ....

anti immigrant rhetoric is at its high when the ecnomony is bad ...rants of they're taking our jobs ...crime etc

But

the moment the economy is doing well immigrants are not an issue anymore when we drive out Benz to the car wash and the immigrant washes it and the immigrant baby sitter watches our kids so we can go to our zagat rated restaurant and our lawn's are mowed and hedges trimmed but those immigrants ......how come we don't wanna send those immigrants back them hmmm I wonder ....

and so the cycle goes on and on ....

Old 04-02-2008, 11:52 PM

330 posts, read 1,197,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah07080 View Post
you know whats funny ....

anti immigrant rhetoric is at its high when the ecnomony is bad ...rants of they're taking our jobs ...crime etc

But

the moment the economy is doing well immigrants are not an issue anymore when we drive out Benz to the car wash and the immigrant washes it and the immigrant baby sitter watches our kids so we can go to our zagat rated restaurant and our lawn's are mowed and hedges trimmed but those immigrants ......how come we don't wanna send those immigrants back them hmmm I wonder ....

and so the cycle goes on and on ....
As far as I'm concerned any illegal alien, regardless of what country they are from should be immediately apprehended and sent back to their country. FYI, there's a big difference between an immigrant who followed the rules to enter the country and a criminal who broke our laws to get in. Mexico arrests and deports illegal aliens in their country so it's about time we do the same. Besides these aliens trimming your hedges, babysitting your kid and flipping your burgers they are also bankrupting our hospitals, over crowding our schools and filling our jails. It's not a coincidence that the gang problem in this country has exploded in the past 10 years. Just today in the local paper four of these hardworking "immigrants" were apprehended robbing multiple houses in Bergen County. Unfortunately this state has been destroyed do to the fact that New Jersey is a sanctuary state, pure and simple. Illegal aliens are welcomed with open arms by our politicians and it's the law abiding legal citizens who have to suffer the consequences. God Bless America. And please have the decency to learn our language (English) if you intend to live here.

Old 04-03-2008, 03:59 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,520,111 times
[quote=Sweetieray;3332383]I bought a house 15 years ago when I was 20, using a small inhertitance. It a dilapitated brownstone in a "BAD" part of Brooklyn. Everyone told me that I should save my money for my future and that I was crazy for considering such a thing. After all I was a single female and the area was crime ridden. They said I should buy a small condo in a nice part of the bourough. What I saw was a big, beautiful, old house in need of major repair but with so much potential I couldn't let it pass. Standing on the front stoop I could imagine what it must have looked like when horse and carriages pulled up and affluent dwellers ended their day in what would soon be mine.

What a nice story!!!!! What a good attitude!!!!

Old 04-03-2008, 05:32 AM

3,859 posts, read 10,328,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KewlGuy View Post
As far as I'm concerned any illegal alien, regardless of what country they are from should be immediately apprehended and sent back to their country. FYI, there's a big difference between an immigrant who followed the rules to enter the country and a criminal who broke our laws to get in. Mexico arrests and deports illegal aliens in their country so it's about time we do the same. Besides these aliens trimming your hedges, babysitting your kid and flipping your burgers they are also bankrupting our hospitals, over crowding our schools and filling our jails. It's not a coincidence that the gang problem in this country has exploded in the past 10 years. Just today in the local paper four of these hardworking "immigrants" were apprehended robbing multiple houses in Bergen County. Unfortunately this state has been destroyed do to the fact that New Jersey is a sanctuary state, pure and simple. Illegal aliens are welcomed with open arms by our politicians and it's the law abiding legal citizens who have to suffer the consequences. God Bless America. And please have the decency to learn our language (English) if you intend to live here.
Absolutely-great post-wish I could rep you more. And yes there is a huge difference between legal immigrants and illegal aliens.
Nicolem

Old 04-03-2008, 09:30 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,801,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KewlGuy View Post
It's a good thing you are anonymous here, KewlGuy, because if you were known, and what you just stated here was made public, there would be an assembly of glorified brigands protesting in front of your house. Talking negatively about a perceived disadvantaged group (as portrayed by the media) is tantamount to 'hate speech' these days. As a Americans, we seem to increasingly possess a proclivity to bull**** ourselves, when the truth is being obscured conveniently in page B-28 of the Star Ledger.

Old 04-03-2008, 10:21 AM

342 posts, read 1,793,615 times
I had an email sent to me that I thought I would share.

Minorities:
We need to show more sympathy for these people.
*They travel miles in the heat.
*They risk their lives crossing a border.
*They do not get paid enough in wages.
*They do jobs that others won't do or are afraid to do.
*They live in crowded conditions among people who speak a different language.
*They rarely see their families, and face adversity all day, every day.

They are not talking about illegal immigrants, they are talking about US Troops! We lavish all kinds of social benefits on illegals, but are threatening to defund our troops.

Food for thought!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey