U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 04-03-2008, 10:26 AM
 
3,859 posts, read 9,173,371 times
Reputation: 2728

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hc7612 View Post
I had an email sent to me that I thought I would share.

Minorities:
We need to show more sympathy for these people.
*They travel miles in the heat.
*They risk their lives crossing a border.
*They do not get paid enough in wages.
*They do jobs that others won't do or are afraid to do.
*They live in crowded conditions among people who speak a different language.
*They rarely see their families, and face adversity all day, every day.

They are not talking about illegal immigrants, they are talking about US Troops! We lavish all kinds of social benefits on illegals, but are threatening to defund our troops.

Food for thought!

Absolutely-thanks for posting!

Nicolem

 
Old 04-03-2008, 10:54 AM
 
253 posts, read 1,139,268 times
Reputation: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by hc7612 View Post
I had an email sent to me that I thought I would share.

Minorities:
We need to show more sympathy for these people.
*They travel miles in the heat.
*They risk their lives crossing a border.
*They do not get paid enough in wages.
*They do jobs that others won't do or are afraid to do.
*They live in crowded conditions among people who speak a different language.
*They rarely see their families, and face adversity all day, every day.

They are not talking about illegal immigrants, they are talking about US Troops! We lavish all kinds of social benefits on illegals, but are threatening to defund our troops.

Food for thought!

I love this!
 
Old 04-03-2008, 12:57 PM
 
45 posts, read 138,385 times
Reputation: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by KewlGuy View Post
As far as I'm concerned any illegal alien, regardless of what country they are from should be immediately apprehended and sent back to their country. FYI, there's a big difference between an immigrant who followed the rules to enter the country and a criminal who broke our laws to get in. Mexico arrests and deports illegal aliens in their country so it's about time we do the same. Besides these aliens trimming your hedges, babysitting your kid and flipping your burgers they are also bankrupting our hospitals, over crowding our schools and filling our jails. It's not a coincidence that the gang problem in this country has exploded in the past 10 years. Just today in the local paper four of these hardworking "immigrants" were apprehended robbing multiple houses in Bergen County. Unfortunately this state has been destroyed do to the fact that New Jersey is a sanctuary state, pure and simple. Illegal aliens are welcomed with open arms by our politicians and it's the law abiding legal citizens who have to suffer the consequences. God Bless America. And please have the decency to learn our language (English) if you intend to live here.
u have valid points but what im saying is that only becomes an issue when it hits the pockets ive seen it over and over ..during the housing boom many law abiding citizens had many of the illegal aliens renovating the homes ...individuals are responsible as cooperations are ...When the politician are honest about then issue then change can happen ...till then to me it seems only an issue when its convenient ....
 
Old 04-17-2008, 07:50 AM
 
Location: East Orange, NJ
3 posts, read 8,287 times
Reputation: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by girl-973-908-732 View Post
I take it that you live somewhere between Park Avenue and Dodd Street? That's the only part of EO with big beautiful homes and that area is very well taken care of.

No........actually it's not.
 
Old 01-14-2009, 01:44 PM
 
927 posts, read 1,286,390 times
Reputation: 639
Default Correct me if I'm wrong

Correct me if I'm wrong but I read one reason why EO has gone downhill was because of the construction of the GSP in the middle of town. Once East Orange used to be a thriving area of upper to middle class residents. But the Parkway was built therefore lowering the land value (Who was to live next to a twelve lane highway?) I also think its close proximity to Newark might have also affected it.
 
Old 01-15-2009, 07:22 AM
 
Location: Summerville, SC
403 posts, read 1,015,833 times
Reputation: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
government "entitlements", people have no pride in themselves and their low lifestyle reflects it.
Yes that MUST be it. It's not like white flight, the subsequent departure of jobs and industry, racial oppression, and governmental neglect would have anything to do with it
 
Old 01-15-2009, 07:25 AM
 
Location: Summerville, SC
403 posts, read 1,015,833 times
Reputation: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumnbreze View Post
I'm so SICK OF HEARING PEOPLE SAY CRAP ABOUT CERTAIN TOWNS. Lets stay focused here. Not everyone in East Orange is on welfare, section 8, or gang bang for a living. I live in East Orange and have so since I was 11yrs old. We own a house and guess what, I go to work for a living and I own a small business. Watch out now I even attended Rutgers Univ.

Get a grip on yourself and your memories. No place will ever be the same as you left it and that's a fact. It is unfortunate that you had a group of teenagers smack your minivan but hey..... last time I checked teenagers are weird regardless of where they live or their race. Be honest the real reason you have this fear is that your old neighborhood went black while you were gone. East Orange has law abiding citizens here--I and my family are honest people. We mow our lawn, sweep our sidewalk, and pay taxes ($11,000 to be exact). Sure not all citizens are honest, but I know Hackettstown has criminals who are polite and won't smack your minivan because their busy rippin you off on a higher level (identity thieft, cocaine sales, etc.).

IMO I think you should ride through and take a look at your old neighborhood or stop remarking that folks in a particular city are all criminals or welfare folks. My mother (well into her 60's) moved into East Orange in the 50's when blacks were not welcomed and she comments on the changes she remembers back when she was a teenager. She at times is hurt by the changes also, but she can tell me stories of how cruel the affluent blacks in the town were treated back then. However, I don't call all whites bigots. Direct your anger where it belongs and not on a whole city.

PS... for all you other East Orange haters... go shove it. You've got drug spots, and welfare recipents in your own neighborhoods your just better at hiding it. I work in an excutive office for social service programs and we have programs for users, pushers, and low income people throughout the state. Even in Hackettstown New Jersey we got a clinic. It's set up as a doctors office. ~Autumn
Well said
 
Old 01-15-2009, 07:26 AM
 
Location: Summerville, SC
403 posts, read 1,015,833 times
Reputation: 261
It's amazing how the people who don't live in these communities always seem to think they know the most about them.

The Star-Ledger and News 12 are not the official mouthpiece of inner city NJ.
 
Old 01-15-2009, 07:48 AM
 
Location: Summerville, SC
403 posts, read 1,015,833 times
Reputation: 261
To the OP, I don't know what your intentions were for making this thread but personally I feel you just made it to take a shot at the inner city (Seems to be a common practice on these boards).

It's hard to believe you've been away from EO for 39 years and had no clue at all as to how the city has changed (at least as you claim). You said your son lives here. Surely he would've told you about it before taking you over there.

I don't believe you even live in California. You probably live somewhere in Glen Ridge and decided to make this thread after passing by EO on the Parkway.
 
Old 02-26-2009, 10:03 PM
 
174 posts, read 381,111 times
Reputation: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nauticadon View Post
To the OP, I don't know what your intentions were for making this thread but personally I feel you just made it to take a shot at the inner city (Seems to be a common practice on these boards).

It's hard to believe you've been away from EO for 39 years and had no clue at all as to how the city has changed (at least as you claim). You said your son lives here. Surely he would've told you about it before taking you over there.

I don't believe you even live in California. You probably live somewhere in Glen Ridge and decided to make this thread after passing by EO on the Parkway.
Well, you can believe I don't live in California if you wish. But I retired from Camp Pendleton, and that's in Southern California. Still, what accounts for your hostility?

I was nostalgic to see my hometown. And I was disgusted with what I saw. If it gives me any credibility, (not that I owe you that), I lived on Park Avenue in A red brick 6 family apartment between Prospect Street and Woodland Avenue. Are you familiar with E.O.? I used to play at the Ashland Playground over by Martens Stadium, bought candy at Kantor's Drug Store on Park Avenue, and hung out at the Harris Diner after dances a Clifford Scott HS.

East Orange IS NOT what it once was. You may claim it is all you want, but that doesn't make it so. Again, what accounts for your hostility to calmly stated facts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top