U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 02-27-2009, 01:57 AM
 
Location: Summerville, SC
403 posts, read 1,015,410 times
Reputation: 261

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by topster7 View Post
Well, you can believe I don't live in California if you wish. But I retired from Camp Pendleton, and that's in Southern California. Still, what accounts for your hostility?

I was nostalgic to see my hometown. And I was disgusted with what I saw. If it gives me any credibility, (not that I owe you that), I lived on Park Avenue in A red brick 6 family apartment between Prospect Street and Woodland Avenue. Are you familiar with E.O.? I used to play at the Ashland Playground over by Martens Stadium, bought candy at Kantor's Drug Store on Park Avenue, and hung out at the Harris Diner after dances a Clifford Scott HS.

East Orange IS NOT what it once was. You may claim it is all you want, but that doesn't make it so. Again, what accounts for your hostility to calmly stated facts?
I'll TRY to keep this brief.......

I'm quite familiar with E.O my friend. Spent the first 19 years of my life either living there or living close to it. As I'm only 29 some of the places you remember I might not be familiar with as they may or may not be there anymore (been out of NJ for 10 years now). To get to my point.........you mention East Orange is not what it once was. While that may be true to an extent.........what you fail to realize is that East Orange has not been what it once was for a long time now and for someone to go almost 40 years without knowing this is unbelievable at best and ridiculous at worst.

This tells me that for almost 40 years you had absolutely no interest in what was happening in your "hometown" yet you saw fit to just pop up one day and, upon seeing the change in demographics and the resulting decline due to it, decided to make this thread voicing your displeasure with what your "hometown" has become.

For someone who once wore the uniform (thank you for your service, btw) you don't seem to be much too keen on Intel. See I'm military as well and before I go ANYWHERE I make it a point to gather information about my destination so as to not be caught off guard by the unknown..

Last edited by Nauticadon; 02-27-2009 at 02:06 AM..

 
Old 02-27-2009, 09:46 AM
 
174 posts, read 380,986 times
Reputation: 92
Nauticadon, I didn't just "pop up", I stumbled upon this site by happy coincidence. You seem to take offense with not just me, but any other poster that makes frank, blunt comment. And you seem to imply since I left so long ago I somehow seem to have forfeited my right to comment on E.O. or any other community that is "inner city".

So, you "gather information" on places before yo visit them, think my "Intel" is suspect, LOL! Bud, I think it's YOU that has a chip on his shoulder and a really curious way of expressing himself. And the very idea of approaching a pleasure trip like a tactical exercise; I'm sorrry, that is too funny. It smacks of some mild mental disorder.

No, I'll continue to say and think as I see fit. You are free to disagree, but not censor or attempt to stifle me. You should look into anger management treatment.
 
Old 02-27-2009, 10:33 AM
 
Location: Northern NJ
7,405 posts, read 7,358,602 times
Reputation: 10609
I like the "intel gathering" too. Reminds me of Robert Deniro in Meet the Parents.
 
Old 02-27-2009, 11:41 AM
 
174 posts, read 380,986 times
Reputation: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
I like the "intel gathering" too. Reminds me of Robert Deniro in Meet the Parents.
His best line in that movie was:

"I have nipples Greg. Can you milk ME"?
 
Old 02-27-2009, 09:27 PM
 
Location: Summerville, SC
403 posts, read 1,015,410 times
Reputation: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by topster7 View Post
Nauticadon, I didn't just "pop up", I stumbled upon this site by happy coincidence. You seem to take offense with not just me, but any other poster that makes frank, blunt comment. And you seem to imply since I left so long ago I somehow seem to have forfeited my right to comment on E.O. or any other community that is "inner city".

So, you "gather information" on places before yo visit them, think my "Intel" is suspect, LOL! Bud, I think it's YOU that has a chip on his shoulder and a really curious way of expressing himself. And the very idea of approaching a pleasure trip like a tactical exercise; I'm sorrry, that is too funny. It smacks of some mild mental disorder.

No, I'll continue to say and think as I see fit. You are free to disagree, but not censor or attempt to stifle me. You should look into anger management treatment.
LMAO @ anger management. YOU'RE the one who started this thread b*tching and complaining about how your beloved East Orange has turned to crap.

You mentioned you have kids that live here. I'm willing to bet my house that they told you the place is not the same as when you left it yet you decided to go anyway and upon seeing what you saw and experienced proceeded to make this thread with some kind of faux shock and surprise behind it.

And yes, I do gather information on places before I go there. What smart traveler wouldn't? You know what...........don't answer that because this thread is proof enough that everyone doesn't.

I can care less what you or anyone else in here thinks about urban NJ. After all you are entitled to your opinion. In the same light I'm also entitled to call people out on it where I see fit and have been doing so for a while now (check my post history in this room). Free speech is a mutha, isn't it?

Fact is you probably don't give two squats about the town. Your motivation for this thread was simply to start a b*tch session for you and others like you to chime in and take cheap shots at the place from the comfort of your computer screen.
 
Old 02-28-2009, 01:00 AM
 
174 posts, read 380,986 times
Reputation: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nauticadon View Post
LMAO @ anger management. YOU'RE the one who started this thread b*tching and complaining about how your beloved East Orange has turned to crap.

You mentioned you have kids that live here. I'm willing to bet my house that they told you the place is not the same as when you left it yet you decided to go anyway and upon seeing what you saw and experienced proceeded to make this thread with some kind of faux shock and surprise behind it.

And yes, I do gather information on places before I go there. What smart traveler wouldn't? You know what...........don't answer that because this thread is proof enough that everyone doesn't.

I can care less what you or anyone else in here thinks about urban NJ. After all you are entitled to your opinion. In the same light I'm also entitled to call people out on it where I see fit and have been doing so for a while now (check my post history in this room). Free speech is a mutha, isn't it?

Fact is you probably don't give two squats about the town. Your motivation for this thread was simply to start a b*tch session for you and others like you to chime in and take cheap shots at the place from the comfort of your computer screen.
Look, I don't want to have an ongoing InterNet feud here. It's silly and only feeds the ego of the poster as long as it takes him to hit the submit button.

You obviously have issues with anger and impulse control. You have inchoate rage that I know I didn't cause. You and I will never meet in real life, so why go on with this? But riddle me this Riddler. Why would any rational person want to return to the place you defend so vehemently given your behavior on an anyonimous message board? If this is how you act over some guy speaking about his boyhood home, and knowing the vital statistics of the town, well.......

You are a miserable spokesperson for the caliber of the town you praise. Wasn't like that when I lived there, Bucko. We had men that made it one of the most sought after communities in Essex County. Wallow in your hate and resentment. There are lots of other threads here for me to enjoy.
 
Old 03-01-2009, 12:28 AM
 
5 posts, read 10,949 times
Reputation: 12
Funny how many pages of bigoted Nonsense over a couple years there is for a rather simple, mostly fact based question. Or at least one i think one could try to answer historically no?

Someone already Hinted at this. If i am recalling my sequence right, the town began its decline with the race riots. Lots of demographics shifted then.
Leftist black people would say the government helped this shift be permanent and terrible with things like crack cocaine and an environment not conducive to any sort of meaningful level of success. Leftist white people would say that's the nature of the black person. I myself being mixed think all men are equally stupid and there is fault to be found all around.

obviously the next blow came from the state using eminent domain to build a highway. Rich people don't like that.

I think east orange is an ok place to live these days. i recently moved here from Manhattan which is stupidly unaffordable. I own a home i can comfortably afford on 160k a year combined income unlike the rest of jersey which is house rich. at 27 and not underwater in a home i think I've done just fine for my self. There is lost of development. I feel the highway that killed the town will rebuild her. But i also feel for the people who may be displaced. i dont understand why some are so content with so little and such low expectations.
 
Old 03-04-2009, 02:16 PM
 
4 posts, read 18,920 times
Reputation: 10
EO has a great White Castle, though.

Last edited by Demographicus X; 03-04-2009 at 02:39 PM.. Reason: why not?
 
Old 03-06-2009, 04:19 PM
 
Location: Summerville, SC
403 posts, read 1,015,410 times
Reputation: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by topster7 View Post
Look, I don't want to have an ongoing InterNet feud here. It's silly and only feeds the ego of the poster as long as it takes him to hit the submit button.

You obviously have issues with anger and impulse control. You have inchoate rage that I know I didn't cause. You and I will never meet in real life, so why go on with this? But riddle me this Riddler. Why would any rational person want to return to the place you defend so vehemently given your behavior on an anyonimous message board? If this is how you act over some guy speaking about his boyhood home, and knowing the vital statistics of the town, well.......

You are a miserable spokesperson for the caliber of the town you praise. Wasn't like that when I lived there, Bucko. We had men that made it one of the most sought after communities in Essex County. Wallow in your hate and resentment. There are lots of other threads here for me to enjoy.
So you've already called me angry, miserable, resentful, hateful, insinuated that I have a mild mental disorder,etc,etc........all these things and yet you haven't refuted one damn thing I've said.

You started this pathetic thread crying about the fact that your beloved East Orange doesn't look like Mayberry anymore, solicited feedback from people whom you knew more than likely didn't live there, then when someone who ACTUALLY lived there chimes in with their opinion you get upset about it.

This thread was NEVER about what happened to E.O because there's no way possible a grown man with grown children who still live in NJ could not inquire about his "boyhood" home before deciding to take a trip there. That's either incredibly naive or incredibly stupid of you.

This thread WAS all about taking digs at the place. You don't live there anymore and haven't for some time now so you have no vested interest in seeing the place come back to it's former self. So yes, for that reason I will defend the place against people who think like you.

All of that said, I'm done with this thread.
 
Old 12-27-2009, 03:12 PM
 
1 posts, read 2,319 times
Reputation: 10
In my opinion East Orange is a very divided city. Specifically in the age demographic. Here you have a city that has failed exclusively to involve the youth in its planning and political areas. There is a stark divide between the youth and the older generation right smack in the middle of East Orange. This also exists on a national level, particularly in the African American community. We have a mayor who has been the mayor since I was in high school. And in his last election ran against no one. People are afraid of the youth, do not embrace the youth, and as a result exclude the youth. The face of East Orange has to change. The council is full of old, and out of touch with the younger generation, people. We are always focussing on crime. And I am reading opinions of people referring to how E.O. was in the seventies. How comedic can we get. East Orange used to be worse, the police have applied tremendous pressure and reduced the crime rate at nationally lauded rate. Although I dont agree with the tactics, they have done a fantastic job. What happened to East Orange? The older generation has failed tremendously to involve the youth in local politics and leadership. To some degree the city has actually sold out its residents to commercialism and business. Time for new and fresh ideas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top