Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 05:33 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,041,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Eh, I thought perhaps I could get funding for a study to determine if there is a correlation between children who take too much Halloween candy and the prison population in NJ. I guess I'll have to think of something else.
I'm sure Mayor Bloomberg has already studied the link between Halloween candy and fat children. The 16oz soda law was just a trial balloon. The larger goal is to repeal Halloween.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2012, 07:00 AM

4,073 posts, read 8,980,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Yes, maybe. Or, perhaps an unattended bowl of candy is an opportunity for one kid (or one adult) to poison other kids.
Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you, right?!

Old 10-23-2012, 08:31 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
ok, i have 4 bags of butterfingers and 3 bags of nestle crunch bars. i will give out the nestle crunch bars first, im getting any butterfinger leftovers.

Old 10-23-2012, 09:27 AM

198 posts, read 468,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Eh, I thought perhaps I could get funding for a study to determine if there is a correlation between children who take too much Halloween candy and the prison population in NJ. I guess I'll have to think of something else.
Perhaps a study on how parents that are paranoid about fictional tainted candy and nonexistant stranger pedophiles tend to downplay real dangers like automobile accidents and allergies. One time I was driving through a neighborhood with no sidewalks at dusk, didn't realize it was Halloween until I had to swerve to avoid 3 brats who thought it was a good idea to walk 3-4 across into the middle of the narrow, winding road with poor visibility at dusk.

I can't help but wonder if any of the kids had mothers that inspected their candy but didn't teach them simple road safety.

Last edited by BrnTmr4Brkfst; 10-23-2012 at 10:12 AM..

Old 10-23-2012, 01:04 PM

151 posts, read 528,216 times
I think it's fine to leave a bowl out. We've done this a couple times when we were out in the neighborhood trick or treating. We just put a note taped to the bowl suggesting them take one or two pieces and leave some for their fellow trick or treaters to enjoy. We've never had all of it gone (and yes, we put chocolate out, not just hard candies). No critter or pet worries either, as we're not usually gone more than an hour.

Old 10-23-2012, 01:11 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times
You could also leave your bowl of candy with your next-door neighbor, and ask them to let the kids know there is nobody home at your house.

Old 10-23-2012, 01:14 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
you could put up a piece of paper with a pen and tell everyone to write their name and address and you will deliver the candy to them the next day.

Old 10-23-2012, 04:55 PM

237 posts, read 482,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
I would suggest that you not do this, primarily because of its possible effects regarding animals.

First and foremost, chocolate is toxic to dogs. How would you feel if a dog belonging to a neighbor--or even a stray dog--ate some of your chocolate and then died?

Then, we have other animals that would likely be attracted to food that is left outside.
Do you really want to attract field mice, skunks, raccoons, and other pesty wildlife to your front door?

What about ants?
This sugary bounty would be very likely to attract ants to your front door also.

Trust me...the neighborhood children will survive quite nicely with one less home giving them sweets.
I don't think a few pieces of Halloween candy is going to kill a dog. Extreme amounts are harmful, but I think a few pieces of Halloween candy will be fine. Our dog has gotten into Christmas stockings full of chocolate a few times and is still kickin'. Even so, how many dogs are typically running around a neighborhood unattended?

I see people leaving their candy out all of the time, and it works fine.

Old 10-25-2012, 11:05 AM

1,977 posts, read 7,755,928 times
I HATE being bothered all night. I am rarely ever home and when I am I want to enjoy my evening with the kids.

First year at our house I left a GIANT bowl of candy outside (5 bags of misc candy/chocolate from BJs) , was gone within 30 min.

Next year my wife at the time answered the door and let every kid take as much as they could fit in one hand. We went through 6 big bags of candy but saw close to 60 kids.

Third year I put one bag in the giant bowl from year 1 with a sign that said only one handfull please. My wife at the time simply refilled the bowl as it got empty and we went through the same 6 bags and no doorbell all night, YAY.

Fourth year I tried the same thing and not only did the candy disappear in the first 30 min, so did the bowl, 2 pumpkins and one of the giant spiders my wife and son made that was hanging on the wall by the door.

No candy since, fuggem.

Old 10-25-2012, 08:34 PM

1,173 posts, read 4,752,199 times
Our neighborhood isn't great for trick or treating (hilly, no sidewalks or street lights, houses far apart etc) so every year we go some where else to trick or treat and every year I leave out a big bowl of candy. The bowl is always empty when I get back, my neighbors say they usually get 10 kids a year if that so I'm pretty sure it's a case of one or two kids (probably older) who got there first and took the whole bowls worth. Does it bother me?? Not in the slightest, who cares? It's free candy they saw an opportunity and they seized it, whateves. Yeah it's fun to play moral police but sometimes it's fun to let kids be kids and have that memory of hahaha remember that time we scored that whole bowl of snickers and had a stomach ache all night? That was awesome!

Now if I was standing there holding out a bowl and some little goblin reached in and took a huge greedy handful I'd be annoyed, but if I'm not there no harm no foul just don't steal the bowl!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: