Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2007, 06:57 PM

42 posts, read 112,842 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ira View Post
and let me know if you have any other questions. Most Jewish families that find Ridgewood Temple too conservative go to the one in Washington Township. I believe that's the closest one to Ridgewood. Just an FYI, most Jewish families I know live in the Upper Ridgewood area and their kids go to the Willard Elementary School. That part of town is considered more affluent and also more "snobbish". If that doesn't bother you, look for houses in that area. They are more expensive but you'll have a much better chance of having Jewish neighbours.

Good Luck
Ira, just curious. I too am Jewish (reform). I read your post about Upper Ridgewood being considered a little bit snobby. What is your feeling on the overall feel for Ridgewood? I know you love the town, just curious if there is an overall feeling of "snobbish" to the entire town or just the Upper Ridgewood section in your opinion? Thanks
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2007, 10:32 AM
ira

657 posts, read 3,930,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajp00 View Post
Ira, just curious. I too am Jewish (reform). I read your post about Upper Ridgewood being considered a little bit snobby. What is your feeling on the overall feel for Ridgewood? I know you love the town, just curious if there is an overall feeling of "snobbish" to the entire town or just the Upper Ridgewood section in your opinion? Thanks
Overall, I don't think Ridgewood is snobbish. But then again, I don't live in Upper Ridgewood and I don't mingle with "those" people So, my Ridgewood friends and neighbours are totally cool, down-to-earth people. Please don't get me wrong, there are plenty of great families who live in all parts of Ridgewood, including the most expensive areas. I think at the end of the day, it's who you are that matters. Ridgewood is large enough so that you could find people you want to be friends with. I couldn't care less about all the Stepford Wives of Ridgewood (and there are plenty). I could never be friends with them and neither could my family. I simply woudn't allow it.

So, if you like Ridgewood, don't worry about snobs. There are plenty of great people here.

Old 02-22-2008, 04:08 PM

2 posts, read 21,487 times
Default Jews in Ridgewood revisited...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ira View Post
and let me know if you have any other questions. Most Jewish families that find Ridgewood Temple too conservative go to the one in Washington Township. I believe that's the closest one to Ridgewood. Just an FYI, most Jewish families I know live in the Upper Ridgewood area and their kids go to the Willard Elementary School. That part of town is considered more affluent and also more "snobbish". If that doesn't bother you, look for houses in that area. They are more expensive but you'll have a much better chance of having Jewish neighbours.

Good Luck
Hi Ira,
I know this posting is a few months old, but I just came across it. My wife and I moved to Ridgewood one year ago. We love it, but have yet to meet any other Jewish (reform) families with young children. Our daughter is 2 and will go to the Barnert Temple in Franklin Lakes this summer and fall. But it would be nice to know that there are others with a similar cultural background within our own neighborhood. Our concern is that the kids at Barnert will mostly be Franklin Lakes kids. Any suggestions other than joining the temples? Is the Jewish population in Ridgewood really that small?

Thanks for any and all advice.

dave

Old 02-22-2008, 05:47 PM
ira

Quote:
Originally Posted by senordave View Post
Hi Ira,
I know this posting is a few months old, but I just came across it. My wife and I moved to Ridgewood one year ago. We love it, but have yet to meet any other Jewish (reform) families with young children. Our daughter is 2 and will go to the Barnert Temple in Franklin Lakes this summer and fall. But it would be nice to know that there are others with a similar cultural background within our own neighborhood. Our concern is that the kids at Barnert will mostly be Franklin Lakes kids. Any suggestions other than joining the temples? Is the Jewish population in Ridgewood really that small?

Thanks for any and all advice.

dave
Hi Dave,

I know few families from Ridgewood that go to Barnert Temple. Most of them have older kids though. Check out Temple Beth Or in Washington Township. It's very popular among young Ridgewood families and from what I've heard it's a little more laid back than Barnert. In terms of Jewish population in general, I don't think it's that small but Ridgewood is a big town so it's not as visible as in some other towns. I can assure you though, when your daughter starts school, she won't be the only one celebrating Hanukkah :-)

Old 02-23-2008, 11:44 AM

35 posts, read 195,220 times
i live in ridgewood. most people will tell you it's republican/conservative, but the population is actually split almost 50/50 between democrats and republicans. as for schools, they're great... there's no denying that. they can definitely accomodate for any learning differences your son may have. there's also a good amount of jews, though the most prominent "group" of people (at least in my opinion) would probably be WASPs -- white anglo saxon protestants. keep in mind there is very little diversity in ridgewood, both racial and otherwise. it's hard to be different there, though that may be changing a bit.

oh, and it's also unbelievably expensive.

Old 02-23-2008, 11:45 AM

35 posts, read 195,220 times
i can definitely tell you that the jewish population is sizable, given the fact that i was going/invited to bat/bar mitzvahs almost every other weekend in middle school. haha.

Old 02-23-2008, 01:49 PM

2 posts, read 21,487 times
Thanks Ira and 'turnyourback.' I know that once she goes to school things will be different. It's just a few years away. We'll definitely check out Beth Or.
Best,
dave

Old 02-23-2008, 10:08 PM

110 posts, read 548,754 times
Ridgewood does have a lot of Republicans, but don't hold that against it
They are fiscal conservatives, not Bible belt, holy roller types.
I went to Ridgewood HS. I appreciate the school system. And Ridgewood is unlike other suburbs in that is has a downtown, it's walkable, and has trains and buses to NY. yes, there are some trophy wives, and upper class people that think rules don't apply to them, and who chose to live in Ridgewood as a fashion statement. But Ridgewood also has some great people too that are there because they appreciate the town and the great school system.

Old 03-24-2008, 08:39 AM

1 posts, read 10,581 times
Default Ridgewood for Brits

My husband is considering a job offer in Paramus. I have found this site very helpful and see that Ridgewood seems like a lovely town. We have 2 daughters aged 16 and 13 (one outgoing and looking forward to the experience and one not so keen). We want a reasonable sized town, where they can walk or get the bus to the main downtown. We also want a good school for them. Reading your comments to the Jewish couple earlier, what are the residents like for accepting non-practising-Christian foreigners?!

Any information would be very appreciated.

Old 03-24-2008, 12:04 PM
ira

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOS6931 View Post
Reading your comments to the Jewish couple earlier, what are the residents like for accepting non-practising-Christian foreigners?!
Absolutely fine. You won't be a majority but you'll have no problems at all :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey