U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2007, 06:50 PM

3 posts, read 46,415 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have two children ages 9 1/2 and 5 and currently live in Manhattan. Of course I am squeezing every last year out of living here and I don't really want to leave-however we have a boy and a girl who are sharing a room and the time is drawing closer to needing to move. We have been out to see Ridgewood and it seems like a nice town. I am wondering about a couple of things. My older one has ADHD and is also academically advanced-one of the reasons we chose to look at Ridgewood was because we had heard about the excellent school system, it has a real downtown, etc. I want some feedback from those who live there about how the schools might handle my son's issues(attention\organization balanced with supporting his academic giftedness-particularly in math). I also would like to know if it is an area, as Jews (we are Reform), where we would feel comfortable? What are the people like? Politics-conservative? liberal? middle of the road?

Thanks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2007, 08:58 PM

2,541 posts, read 10,189,375 times
If you are reformed then Tenafly is better for you.

It is closer to Manhattan also.

Once that school system finds out about you kid's ADHD they will want to turn him into a feel good "up against all odds" success story so they can go ahead and brag to everyone what a great job THEY HAVE DONE.

I know that sounds kinda strange, but it may be mutually beneficial. If you want more detail about that school just DM me.

But do you have a NY accent because they frown on those?

Old 10-10-2007, 11:19 AM

34 posts, read 175,087 times
I am in Ridgewood, and I believe the schools would handle your son's situation very well, but I agree that there are not many reform Jews in Ridgewood. I am sure you would be well accepted but if you would prefer neighbors who share your religious beliefs, Tenafly would indeed be better....and their schools are good too.
Politics here are generally on the conservative side but we have all kinds.
The downtown area is definitely a big draw.

Old 10-10-2007, 11:43 AM

Thanks for the feedback. What about Glen Rock?

Old 10-10-2007, 12:58 PM

34 posts, read 175,087 times
Glen Rock would be similar in the areas of politics and religion. The schools are highly rated but I don't know the specifics. (One of their elementary schools was rated in the top 10 in the nation based on state test scores.)
It's a smaller town atmosphere than Ridgewood and has a very nice (but much smaller scale) downtown area.

Another perk Ridgewood has that many people don't realize is a paid fire department. I believe it is the only one in Bergen County other than Hackensack and Englewood, which are much larger and more "urban."
The paid fire department also responds to medical calls during the hours when volunteer ambulance members are scarce.
Many people don't realize how big a benefit that is until they need help... response time from volunteer departments is significantly longer.

Old 10-10-2007, 01:43 PM

31 posts, read 32,639 times
I'm going to have to second Tenafly, NJ... Very lovely town, excellent school system.

Borough of Tenafly, New Jersey - Home
Tenafly, New Jersey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Tenafly Homes

Old 10-10-2007, 04:34 PM

5,439 posts, read 14,327,150 times
I grew up in Ridgewood. I don't know how many Jewish people live there but I do not believe being Jewish will make you or your children feel out of place at all. I also believe that the schools are great and would suspect their programs are excellent for who are anything from learning disabled to gifted and talented. Myself, I had a pretty normal path through the school system.

I looked up : In Ridgewood there are well more registered Republicans than Democrats, but the majority of the people are undeclared. I believe Kerry won by 51% last election.

If you or your husband will be commuting to NY for a job, there is no train to NY from Tenafly.

Old 10-11-2007, 06:50 AM
ira

657 posts, read 3,517,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabby1 View Post
My husband and I have two children ages 9 1/2 and 5 and currently live in Manhattan. Of course I am squeezing every last year out of living here and I don't really want to leave-however we have a boy and a girl who are sharing a room and the time is drawing closer to needing to move. We have been out to see Ridgewood and it seems like a nice town. I am wondering about a couple of things. My older one has ADHD and is also academically advanced-one of the reasons we chose to look at Ridgewood was because we had heard about the excellent school system, it has a real downtown, etc. I want some feedback from those who live there about how the schools might handle my son's issues(attention\organization balanced with supporting his academic giftedness-particularly in math). I also would like to know if it is an area, as Jews (we are Reform), where we would feel comfortable? What are the people like? Politics-conservative? liberal? middle of the road?

Thanks.
Hi,
I live in Ridgewood and could probably answer some of your questions. Ridgewood has some of the best special ed programs in the area. You will definitely find support for your son. One thing to consider though, Ridgewood High School is huge (I beleive it has 1,500 students or so). I've heard from several parents that kids who have "borderline" issues (meaning they are not severly disabled) sometimes "get lost" because the school is so big.

One thing I would suggest is to contact Ridgewood's LSHSA (LEarning Services Home School Association). It's an organization that's run by parents with kids with special needs. They will be able to give you more specific info or put you in touch with parents in similar situation.

As far as being a reform Jews (so are we), you'll find plenty of friends in Ridgewood. The only thing is Ridgewood Temple is conservative so you'll have to find some place else to fulfill you "religious" needs.

Also, do not move to Glen Rock. While their schools are great for "typical" kids, their special ed programs are pretty bad. They offer very little support and you have to fight for everything.

Good Luck. Ridgewood is great and we love it here.

Old 10-11-2007, 11:37 AM

Thanks Ira for the feedback, it was helpful. As you know, moving at this point in my life is extremely difficult. I have seen the LHSA-listed on the Ridgewood School website,but haven't called anyone yet. I also had a brief conversation with the Supervisor of Special Services back in June-she and I have been playing telephone tag for 3 weeks so that I can ask her some more specific questions! We are actually headed out to Ridgewood on Monday for another look. Also, I know that there is a Reform Temple in Township of Washington-know anything about it? Thanks again.

Old 10-11-2007, 12:10 PM
ira

657 posts, read 3,517,036 times
Default You're welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabby1 View Post
Thanks Ira for the feedback, it was helpful. As you know, moving at this point in my life is extremely difficult. I have seen the LHSA-listed on the Ridgewood School website,but haven't called anyone yet. I also had a brief conversation with the Supervisor of Special Services back in June-she and I have been playing telephone tag for 3 weeks so that I can ask her some more specific questions! We are actually headed out to Ridgewood on Monday for another look. Also, I know that there is a Reform Temple in Township of Washington-know anything about it? Thanks again.
and let me know if you have any other questions. Most Jewish families that find Ridgewood Temple too conservative go to the one in Washington Township. I believe that's the closest one to Ridgewood. Just an FYI, most Jewish families I know live in the Upper Ridgewood area and their kids go to the Willard Elementary School. That part of town is considered more affluent and also more "snobbish". If that doesn't bother you, look for houses in that area. They are more expensive but you'll have a much better chance of having Jewish neighbours.

Good Luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or